Wireless modem - forgotten password

Currently reading:
Wireless modem - forgotten password

chr1s

Panda Lounge TA 2012
I installed a wireless modem at home (April 2007) but now that I want to enable another wireless laptop, I can't remember the access code / password.
It's a Belkin wireless modem, set up for WPA2 security.
Can the IT experts out there remind me how to retrieve / change the password ?

if you cant remember username and apssword to log on, you can reset it.

disconnect everything except the power cable, then press the reset button with a pen (its next to the power cable). hold it in for 10 seconds, then release and wait 10 seconds before unplugging the router. now it is the same as it was when brand new, and the default username and password can be used to log on to it.

Wireless router: F5D7230-4 ver. 6000uk
LAN Connection Status was:
IP address: 192.168.2.2
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 192.168.2.1

But this changed after disconnecting the router, and feeding the internet signal directly to the PC:
IP address: 82.11.249.119
Subnet mask: 255.255.252.0
Default gateway: 82.11.248.1

I've reset the modem, and unplugged it so the internet connection goes directly to the PC. The internet connection didn't work, but running the troubleshooter changed some settings (above) and it works again.
I've downloaded the Belkin Easy Install software for this model, but when I run it it falls over in the 'examining computer' stage, saying "Error: Unable to locate and load Drivers".
Any ideas ?

Last edited:
It may be looking for some device drivers that would be on a CD the unit ships with? My Netgear does not need any you just plug in it gives you a local addy by DHCP and then you can set up the ISP connection, once on you can go to updates and it will download a newer firmware version and install it itself. I've never done this, you would have to be crazy when it's working fine. There may be something on the Belkin site to help you, the drivers plus a searchable knowledge base that tells you where the router expects to find them on your PC.

Wireless router: F5D7230-4 ver. 6000uk
LAN Connection Status was:
IP address: 192.168.2.2
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 192.168.2.1

But this changed after disconnecting the router, and feeding the internet signal directly to the PC:
IP address: 82.11.249.119
Subnet mask: 255.255.252.0
Default gateway: 82.11.248.1

I've reset the modem, and unplugged it so the internet connection goes directly to the PC. The internet connection didn't work, but running the troubleshooter changed some settings (above) and it works again.
I've downloaded the Belkin Easy Install software for this model, but when I run it it falls over in the 'examining computer' stage, saying "Error: Unable to locate and load Drivers".
Any ideas ?

if you have pressed the reset button you will now need to connect with an ethernet cable, enter 192.168.2.2 into your internet explorer address bar, log into router. enter username and password details for your internet provider, then go to wireless LAN, enable it, and set a new encryption key, then re-connect to wireless on both machines using this key.

hopefully this helps! in future dont press the reset button, you just need to change wireless settings not delete all the settings off the router!!

Last edited:
if you have pressed the reset button you will now need to connect with an ethernet cable, enter 192.168.2.2 into your internet explorer address bar, log into router. enter username and password details for your internet provider, then go to wireless LAN, enable it, and set a new encryption key, then re-connect to wireless on both machines using this key.

hopefully this helps! in future dont press the reset button, you just need to change wireless settings not delete all the settings off the router!!

Done it now. Working, and secured with a new password. :slayer:

I downloaded the user manual off the Belkin website, which was along the lines of what you advised, but the address to access the modem was 192.168.2.1

It may be looking for some device drivers that would be on a CD the unit ships with?

I never worked out what drivers it may be looking for, but it didn't need them anyway. The staff at PCWorld (who I thought might have a spare disk they could loan to me, since they sold it to me) didn't think there is any difference between the supplied disk and the internet download.

This thread has too much information, He said its with a Belkin, Therefore there will be a small reset button on the back of the Wireless modem/router.

All that needed to be said.

(And yeah i know it has been, but just to avoid confusion)

That would have been enough, but the Eazy Install Wizard wouldn't play ball, so I needed the extra advice. :)

I did this last night.

Was trying to get my PSP online to no avail and forgot the password.

Back on now though.

Back