What adsl broadband router (wireless and etherner)

Currently reading:
What adsl broadband router (wireless and etherner)

we as per title finally worked out why i couldnt get on line the Router (netgear has died and wouldn't connect..) adsl light flashing 2 orange then 2 blue Or and the internet light fashing orange

anyhow borrowed a router and im back....

SO

What reasonably priced router for a rather well shielded interally (foil insulation in ceilings) wifi blocking house?

Got / had a Netgear f5d8633-4 which was ok in the house but router run out of range just outside the back door....

I'm on VDSL FTTC now so no need for it ;) :D

Which router do you use for that? I've been using the bogo BT kit for the past 18months - but have discovered a low spot in the WiFi coverage where I put my MBP when in desk mode. I was looking at the Draytek 2850Vn, but a bit concerned that it specifies up to 50Mb/s for the VDSL connection.. that's not enough!

Andy - to get through those ceilings have you thought about using powerline adaptors and then a second access point upstairs?

Last edited:
Just about anything that will run DD-WRT would be a good choice but very limited support for ADSL just now.
The Billion BiPAC 7800N is fantastic but pricey. I'm currently using a Netgear DGN 2200 which is OK but not as good as the 834G it replaced for line speed as it isn't a Broadcom chip (but the 2200 is N rather than just G)

Last edited:
The ASA5505 is doing the PPPoE authentication but I'm using the standard BT kit for the VDSL termination.

Like you I keep reading up what I can replace it with and like you said the only people I know who've had success are using the Cisco 887 or similar. But I haven't looked for about 2-3months. I don't have any probs with the BT device so it's a bit of a bug bear paying good money to replace a device that does the job perfectly (haven't had to reboot it once since it was put in 6 months ago!).

Back