Technical Wing mirror corrosion

Currently reading:
Technical Wing mirror corrosion

Was happy, until my bonce knocked the NS mirror. Thanks to threads on here, set about resetting the spring. Oops.
PXL_20240327_153419482.jpg
Removed the complete mirror. Door, bolts all good. ThenPXL_20240327_155918635.jpg

I think it's corrosion 😏.

Guess I'll need a complete unit 😭. Cover and glass are good.

Other than a tissue for tears, any thoughts?

If ya get a second hand one better check its condition before fitting it! a coating of grease might help keep it good !( that and stop parking in the river! 🤣

Pair of comedians 😊.
Taken the mirror apart, which means removing the wires from the mirror end to thread through the spring assembly. Connector to car too wide for ID.
Found a replacement on eBay with outer shell broken, so £22 and all will be well again.

As for the underside, nose to tail scrub, Dinitrol rust treatment and waxed. Missing grommets replaced so almost ready for a paddle 👍.

Attachments

• PXL_20240308_143639337.jpg
    PXL_20240308_143639337.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 14
  • PXL_20240308_143650741.jpg
    PXL_20240308_143650741.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20240308_143631391.jpg
    PXL_20240308_143631391.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 12
Pair of comedians 😊.
Taken the mirror apart, which means removing the wires from the mirror end to thread through the spring assembly. Connector to car too wide for ID.
Found a replacement on eBay with outer shell broken, so £22 and all will be well again.

As for the underside, nose to tail scrub, Dinitrol rust treatment and waxed. Missing grommets replaced so almost ready for a paddle 👍.
Have a week at the seaside and you can go in a fiat and come back in a mini-moke!:D

Or just move to Orstraya..
UK winters are not kind to cars.

But I'd imagine UV light levels in your part of the world present a different challenge; I'm wondering what happens to the clearcoat and to fabrics.

Fiat red can't even cope with a UK summer for more than about ten years or so!

And I'm wondering what will happen to EV's if they're parked all day in the sun? IIRC Nissan had a lot of warranty claims on the Leaf in Arizona due to premature battery ageing.

Aye, JR, that's the trade-off.:( For all the talk about the heat, the bulldust, the spiders, the snakes etc. in reality most people in AU live in the suburbs of the major cities and don't encounter any of those things in daily life (my car's never seen an unmade road), but the ever-present UV is insidious - especially if you drive a cabrio. At least it doesn't pose a structural threat like your slush and salt though - that spring above is horrifying! As I've said before, I'm fortunate in that I can garage my car and the climate in Melbourne is relatively mild - it never snows and we hit 40C last February for the first time in three years!

I think we have a lot to learn about the vagaries of EV's as they proliferate in areas of weather extremes... 🙃

Can you get e v chargers that run from solar panels in oz?
I don't know to be honest man. A lot of people are installing solar batteries now but I have no idea if they can handle charging a car. I'll never own an EV, simply can't afford it - a 500e starts at around AU$52,000 (roughly £25,000) here and that's without on-road costs! There are cheaper EV's but I don't want a Chinese lantern... If and when the Twinny runs out of puff I'll probably just stop driving.

I enquired about a solar assisted charger a year ago. The cost is £750 to £1000. The solar system we have is a 4kw output with a 6kw/hr battery. Its clear that we would be paying for most of the power that a car would use. We are a family of 3 who dont use the elelctricity for cooking and we use most of what the panels produce for domestic use. This has amounted to 3900 units a year approximately. We exported (sold another 1000 uits of electricity so about 80% of that could have been free fuel, IF we plugged the car in on sunny days. You cant stipulate in advance when you will want to charge the car so we may not have been able to get 80%. There are rules about what you can connect to the grid which seem to restrict what its viable to install. You could install more battery capacity anduse that to charge the car, but batteries for solar systems are very expensive so there would be no cost advantage to this as far as I can judge.

After a year of solar power I am satisfied that for us, and I suspect for most average household our system is probably about optimal in capacity and storage vesus purchase cost. Our electricity cost is aorund £45 a month ost PV installation so overall its cost effective.

Hope this hopes anyone thinking about PV installation. Anyone interested in more info feel free to message (PM) me and I will show the info I have.

The spring still functions but the galvanic corrosion of the inner tube did for it. The white dust is the last of what fell out.
I think the spring itself has been redesigned.

Nearly 50 years ago Lancia used a different paint spec for Oz and South Africa. I had a new Beta Coupe ordered from Oz in burgundy with ochre seats. Delivered to Edinburgh, toured to Genova and shipped. 7 years in Sydney and like new 🚗👍.

Plastics were the big casualties in those days. Never a problem with the Lancia, but splitting dashes common.

I can still see LYN 584P 😘

Plastics were the big casualties in those days. Never a problem with the Lancia, but splitting dashes common.

I can still see LYN 584P 😘
Yes, dashmats were big sellers in the 80's for disguising split dashboard tops. I fitted one on the Twinny after reading about problems with the area over the airbag a few years ago. On sunny days the speedo and central display are still invisible however.

Back