Technical Windscreen washer Jet

Currently reading:
Technical Windscreen washer Jet

One side of my windscreen washer jet is not squirting.....water is coming out from the hole at the side and from where it usually squirts out but is not coming out in a jet.....I am assuming something has happened during the freezing but thought I would ask if it is a known problem.....I cant see any cracks in the plastic and the other side is fine.........does all the scuttle have to come off to get access to change if I just buy a new one......tia

I am assuming something has happened during the freezing
More than likely; it's been reported lots of times before (and IIRC this is the second time this week).

If you need to take off the scuttle, the wipers have to come off first. A few tips:

- to remove the covers over the windscreen wiper nuts, put your hand behind and pull straight outwards, away from the car. Do not try to twist or turn them, or you'll damage the mounting lugs.

- the scuttle is held on by a handful of single use plastic clips. The hint is in the name; either get some new ones, or (as I did) just replace them with some suitably sized nuts, washers & bolts. You can get these, finished in black, from most model shops and some hardware stores.

- before removing the wiper arms, mark the resting position of the wipers on the screen with some tape. This saves much frustration when refitting. Note that some screens have printed dots to show this location; if yours does, just make a note of which dots to use.

And next time it's likely to get very cold, use a decent screenwash additive at an appriopriate concentration for the forecast weather. Most ready mixed off-the-shelf screenwash products won't protect the system below about -5C.

Check the screwdriver slot on the side of the jet( that alters the aim) push the part back in with a screwdriver I bet its dislodged due to freezing may need to re aim too before removing other parts
It's certainly worth a try, though the collective experience of the forum is that once pushed out by frost, pushing them back is only a temporary fix - the pressure of normal operation soon pops them out again.

I've seen a lot of frozen screenwash pipes over the years, but everything else I've owned always worked properly again after thawing. The only ones I've seen permanently damaged by frost have been Fiats.

The 500 ones are similar to my old Stilo, and that once suffered from a pushed out spray bar.

Pushing it in worked okay.. but eventually the jet got more and more hopeless; hard water was furring up the nozzle and soaking them in Cola etc. didn't help so I bought new ones. It was just about worth it compared to the faff of constantly fiddling with the old ones.

Ralf S.

I'm the scuttle on my old 500 was not single use clips but 2 part plastic fixings where you pull the center up and the outer section can then be pulled out as well so reusable

But it was a while ago

Back