Technical Window Wiper Woes :(

Currently reading:
Technical Window Wiper Woes :(

R1ckyd

hello guys i hope someone can help me! basically ma window wiper on the driver side persitant slips out of the groove and i have knowledge this is a common problem within puntos. I have used a cable tie for a month to keep it in action but now i need a more permanent fix. I am avoiding buyin the new linkage as im kina broke lol what is the best D.I.Y resolution for my problem :)
thanks

This happened to me about to weeks ago. Exactly the same problem, i had cable tied it originally, but that lasted about 4 days!

On the tip of the ball(ball joint) i welded a washer on to it so that the wiper arm can still pivot normally at all speeds, but more importantly it will never come off again,

Thats a real DIY solution, but just depends it you have access to welding equipment.

This happened to me about to weeks ago. Exactly the same problem, i had cable tied it originally, but that lasted about 4 days!

On the tip of the ball(ball joint) i welded a washer on to it so that the wiper arm can still pivot normally at all speeds, but more importantly it will never come off again,

Thats a real DIY solution, but just depends it you have access to welding equipment.

ye man thanks 4 dat, the hunt for welding equipment begins lol
ne ova suggestions guys?

Take the rubber cover off the top of your windscreen wiper, you'll see a nut, undo this and remove the arm of your wiper. Next, you'll see a sort of weird washer that'll take you ages to get off as it's usually rusted in place, however, have a bit of patience and it'll come off eventually. Now the linkage underneath should push through. Remove the linkage, instead of welding a washer on, drill a hole through the bottom.

Do all the steps in reverse, then simply use a thin long nail to act as a split pin. I suggest you do this on both sides ASAP, I thought I'd get away with only doing the passenger side, but then 80mph in the outside lane of a busy motorway with it chucking it down is not a good time for your drivers side wiper to give up :eek:

Hope this helps

Nathan

Last edited:
Yes , I did the same as Nathan on my daughters car - thought at first the pin was going to be stainless or something hard to drill but dead easy to drill through and put a split pin with washer on just to stop the arm dropping off .

wouldn't advice u's to go to a fiat garage anyways. the same thing has happened to my 05 punto sporting, took it to the garage to get the simple prob fixed cause it was still under warrenty watever they did i have to go back with it now and the entire wiring in the car has to be redone!

I have a similar problem but on the passengers side. It is easily fixed or does it require completely new linkage?

Attachments

• cwl.jpg
    cwl.jpg
    681.5 KB · Views: 32
make a hole where marked (red), and connect those with a screw and a nut, put on the screw a little rubber O ring to fit the big hole.

on my punto, i have a hole where marked (yellow) and connected with the little hole on the other arm with a steel wire, no problem yet...

Attachments

• cwl.jpg
    cwl.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 31
Cheers 4 that.

Am I correct in saying that the larger piece (the part you marked yellow) will be on top of the part linked to the passenger wiper arm instead of underneath?

Last edited:
Thanks for all your help Raducu. I have fixed the linkage now and the wipers seem to be working fine again.

It's nice to know that there helpful people out there.

Thanks again!

:)

Last edited:
you are welcome oc99

the wire thing is bulletproof, I just used the wipers on a heavy storm, and it's all ok, but I'll soon change to some fancy screw and nut thing

Back