General Wind down tool

Currently reading:
General Wind down tool

Hi glenncraig and welcome, I'm slightly slow on the uptake but what is a wind down tool used for? All the Best, Ian.

There is a hole in the floor that a tool is inserted and winds the spare wheel down onto the ground. Then you are able to get the spare wheel from underneath the MH.
If I remember correctly the tool has a none standard shape, pentagonal? so that you cannot use standard socket components.

I’ve tried umpteen different socket, then I realised that the top of the winch is round. So I have to get the specific tool. Have not got a clue as to where to look for one. I don’t even know the corect name. The manual only calls it a tool it also doesn’t mention to where to find it.

I’ve tried umpteen different socket, then I realised that the top of the winch is round. So I have to get the specific tool. Have not got a clue as to where to look for one. I don’t even know the corect name. The manual only calls it a tool it also doesn’t mention to where to find it.
Something like this? Perhaps in a bag with jack and wheelbrace?

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
The wind down is circular with a pin running through it, and a tube with slots on either side would slide onto it.

Attachments

• IMG_3601.jpeg
    IMG_3601.jpeg
    785.6 KB · Views: 10
The wind down is circular with a pin running through it, and a tube with slots on either side would slide onto it.

From what I see..( Good pic) 🙂

Measure the "tube" diameter

Say 9.5mm

Then get a socket (6 sided) that is that size so 10mm..or 3/8 of an inch

Then cut 2 x slots in the "corners" of the socket,
to pass over the 2x roll-pin "EARS"
in your photo

From what I see..( Good pic) 🙂

Measure the "tube" diameter

Say 9.5mm

Then get a socket (6 sided) that is that size so 10mm..or 3/8 of an inch

Then cut 2 x slots in the "corners" of the socket,
to pass over the 2x roll-pin "EARS"
in your photo
Given that sockets are typcally made from Chrome Vanadium steel, I would not want to be the person trying to cut slots in one. A tube style box spanner may be an easier proposition. My own thoughts in that direction centered around a suitable scrap length of gas or water pipe.. of which ther are a few short lengths in my workshop. A suitable bolt pinned into the other end would provide a hexagon on which a socket could be fitted.

Back