Technical wierd overheating problem

Currently reading:
Technical wierd overheating problem

jasonslaphead

I have an L reg cinqucento that im using for a banger rally to the arctic circle in a couple of weeks, I have just replaced the rotted old radiator and its now running cooler however there is a problem.
When the car is stationary at tickover the temperature goes very high however if you rev it a bit the temperature comes down.
The fan is coming on at aprox 90 degrees. and when the car is moving there is no problem.

I have done the top two so It looks like I have to swap the water pump.
Is it a simple job I have seen the guide for the water pump swap on a 1.1 but mine is a 900cc and the pump looks totaly different ?

My cinq was having this exact problem and I took it to the garage today for them to have a look and they confirmed the head gasket is on its way out! Might not be the case for you but as per your thread my cinq was getting very, very hot whilst stationary to the point of almost blowing up and they have told me this is the cause :-(

My cinq was having this exact problem and I took it to the garage today for them to have a look and they confirmed the head gasket is on its way out! Might not be the case for you but as per your thread my cinq was getting very, very hot whilst stationary to the point of almost blowing up and they have told me this is the cause :-(

They are almost inevitably wrong.

The head gasket failure is an effect, not a cause, in 99.9% of cases.

You need to identify the cause too.

Cheers

SPD

Hi

David is correct your engine cooling fan needs to come on immiedately you stop in traffic or car park otherwise you will cook the head gasket.

You should hear it start, you will cook a 2nd head gasket...

Noel

Thats assuming the Op has been driving for a while.

The 899 has a weak water pump, so when it gets a bit old and less likely to pass water (prostate problems, I suppose), extended idling periods can see not enough water circulating and the head area heating up too much.

The fan won't come on as none of the hot water is reaching the rad.

Cheers

SPD

Yes but if the fan is not coming on replacing the head gasket once will not be enough, blocked rad, fan switch, fan motor or water pump, it is still 2nd head gasket time?

Not all mechanics are like David?

Unless the garage tested the compression or detected white smoke etc. they may be asleep...

Noel

Yes but if the fan is not coming on replacing the head gasket once will not be enough, blocked rad, fan switch, fan motor or water pump, it is still 2nd head gasket time?

Not all mechanics are like David?

Unless the garage tested the compression or detected white smoke etc. they may be asleep...

Noel

yeah yeah, I know what you mean, it was just a bit of a blanket statement in your earlier post.

Chers

SPD

Back