Technical Wich fuel injection system??

Currently reading:
Technical Wich fuel injection system??

JDS82

Fast question, wich fuel injection system does the fiat punto evo (2015) 1.2 8v gasoline have? Does it have a port fuel injection system OR does it have a gasoline direct injection system?

Hmm. It seems to have an indirect injection if I google the spec.. but I have to be 100% sure because if it is a direct injection system I'm going to instal an oil catch tank so the sludge/carb build up on the top of the valves is gone. If it's a ported injection the injection system cleans the valves so then their is no problem.

Take a look down the back of your engine. Here's a couple of pictures of mine. The first one is taken from the passenger's side (Near Side) of the car:

P1100507.JPG

The yellow plugs are the electrical connectors to the actual injectors which are the black bits (with the wee white collars) and the black plastic tube running away from you is the fuel rail. You can see the other 3 injectors with their yellow connectors also connected to the fuel rail.

Here it is from the driver's side (Off Side) and you can see the black cap where you can monitor the fuel rail pressure - if you have the correct tools:

P1100508.JPG

Of course this is a 60hp 1.2 2010 engine but your's will be basically very similar.

Inlet tract fouling on direct injection engines and the much less discussed subject of LSPI (Low Speed Pre Ignition) is a subject which greatly interests me and I'm always looking out for more info on the subject. You can spend hours reading stuff on the internet about it. One of the continuing themes concerns engine oil and I think using a catch can will most likely reduce the speed at which deposits build up but won't completely eliminate it as it's not going to stop all of the vapours or oil getting in from other leakage down valve stems etc and contaminants introduced via EGR. It's interesting that the latest API spec - SP - includes reduction of this in it's aim as does the latest ILSAC GF-6 spec. I'm sure that all the oil manufacturers will be aggressively addressing this so if you buy a really "good" oil (trusted manufacturer product to the correct manufacturer spec for your engine) it's likely it'll contain properties to address this. When researching oil specs I'd be paying more attention to the ACEA spec than the API. API is the American standards body whereas the ACEA is roughly it's European equivalent. Operating conditions differ considerably in the US - it's not unusual for much shorter oil change intervals to be recommended over there just for starters - compared to us here in Europe and these oil specs take this into account. not to say there's anything wrong with an oil which only has an API spec on it's tin, it's still going to be a good oil, I'm just saying to pay more attention to the ACEA spec if you've the choice. The ACEA specs were updated in 2021 and I'm still finding out about exactly what they mean.

Ok, so the pictures that you showed me of your car, are port injections ? Mine is from 2012- 2015. I'm going to try to take some pictures of mine today, it's raining so It could be tommorow.

Yup. Port injection, into the inlet manifold and spraying onto the back of the inlet valves.

You say your's is a 2015 model? If so I'm slightly puzzled as to why you call your's an Evo? Here in the UK the Punto was sold as an EVO from 2009 to end of 2011. Before that it was sold as the Grande Punto and then it became just simply "Punto" in 2012 - which is the model my boy has. The Evo had black bumper inserts front and rear (which I actually rather like, but many don't) the Punto went back to a very simple look in 2012. Although I'm not so knowledgeable about the diesels I'm about 99% certain the Punto had FIRE port injected petrol engines right up 'till the model was discontinued sometime in 2018? I don't know if Belgium was different of course.

Wel its indeed the punto model after evo then. Punto 3? It's confusing , but its the last model 2012 -->. The first pic is from passenger side and the second is from driver side. As you can see, the oil stick is on passenger side , But the rest looks way different then your engine .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221002-155854_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221002-155854_Gallery.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot_20221002-160040_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221002-160040_Gallery.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 34
I took a look at the manual and it says it has electronic multipoint injection system for the models 1.2 to 1.4.. im not familiar with this multi point injection system 🤔

Yes, but, although I've never seen anything else in a Punto I'm couldn't swear that there are other options on the late models? - Being as how I only work on older ones.
Punto NEVER got a FIREFLY motor until its end of production. Panda, Tipo and 500 did...

I took a look at the manual and it says it has electronic multipoint injection system for the models 1.2 to 1.4.. im not familiar with this multi point injection system 🤔
Multipoint is not Direct Injection. Look at the first pic you've posted. Nearest to the camera, bottom left, is a grubby white stopper in the end of the fuel rail (which puzzles me as it's usually a black cap like on mine?) anyway your injectors are underneath this. If you look at the second picture I think you can see two of the wiring connectors going down between the inlet runners? That's a port injection engine.

Multipoint is not Direct Injection. Look at the first pic you've posted. Nearest to the camera, bottom left, is a grubby white stopper in the end of the fuel rail (which puzzles me as it's usually a black cap like on mine?) anyway your injectors are underneath this. If you look at the second picture I think you can see two of the wiring connectors going down between the inlet runners? That's a port injection engine.
So your saying that multipoint injection is the same as multiport injection and in essence it's sprays gasoline on the valves and not past the valves like a direct engine does? If this is treu what you stating then an oil catch tank is not necessary for this engine? I googled around a bit today and couldn't find a real clear answer.

So your saying that multipoint injection is the same as multiport injection and in essence it's sprays gasoline on the valves and not past the valves like a direct engine does? If this is treu what you stating then an oil catch tank is not necessary for this engine? I googled around a bit today and couldn't find a real clear answer.
When fuel injection first appeared on "everyday" cars it was often done with a single point injection system. This was basically like a carburettor body but instead of all the carb insides - float chamber, jets, etc - it contained a metering body which injected the fuel into the airstream. This allowed for much more controlled fuel delivery and thus improved fuel consumption and better control of emissions. However it was quickly realized that the long interior surfaces of the manifolds etc allowed fuel to condense out into a liquid on the surfaces and also that the cylinders nearest to the metering body (typically numbers 2 and 3) would receive a slightly different mixture compared to the outer cylinders (1 and 4). injecting the fuel directly into the port for each cylinder sorted out a lot of that problem and also allowed "clever" things to be done with the injection intervals to further enhance economy and emission control. So was born "Multipoint injection" (some call it multiport).

A direct injection engine's fuel is not, as you say, injected "past" the valves. In fact the injector's business end is actually in the cylinder itself - like a diesel engine - The fuel never enters the inlet tract at all, it's sprayed directly into the cylinder - although ignition is still initiated by a spark unlike the diesel - This is why they suffer fouling of the inlet tract and inlet valves because the fuel, which contains strong cleaning agents, never gets sprayed into the inlets and so never contacts and cleans the port walls and back side of the valve heads.

Whether an oil catch can is needed is up to you I think. The multipoint engine should not suffer from carbon contamination of the inlets so a catch can will have little advantage for this aspect specifically, but it may reduce the atomized oil fumes being drawn into the inlet system and so keep contamination of things like the MAP sensor to a minimum. In theory the Direct Injection engine is likely to benefit much more though.

Didn't know multipoint and multiport where the same. But that said, I think I know now almost everything about injection systems 😄 wich, is a very good thing because we all are here to learn aren't we. And I know now that my system cleans the top head of my valves because it's injected in the inlet traject. Maybe I wil instal a catch tank.. don't know , gonna think about it for future projects. Thanks for the very informative responds 👍

Back