General Whining noise when in high revs

Currently reading:
General Whining noise when in high revs

philmoore

Hi, my fiat punto 55s has started to whine when its driving in almost all gears when i hit 3000 revs a high pitched whine will sound if i stay below that its fine, when the car is stationary i can rev the car and its fine, it only does it when the car is moving the noise sounds when i apply pressure to the accelerator in high revs, please help

Thanks in advance

is it expensive and can it be done by myself ?

Thanks for your help

I think you'll need the whole new tensioner if it's that. The tensioner is all one part @ £20

If you change the tensioner, change the belt too... same sort of wedge.

Ralf S.
so its just the tensioner bearing and i may as well change the belt while im there.?

Thanks

hmm, wondering if this is the same problem with my MK2 Sporting.

When in 6th gear, going around 40-60mph, the car makes a slight whining sound. Thought it was quite cool as it sounds a bit like a aeroplane :), but could this be a potential problem??

Ok pissed now,
i just dont know what this squealing high pitched noise can be so far i have done the following:

Drivebelt change
Checked alternator
Timingbelt + tensioner kit
Waterpump

any ideas as to what this could be the manual points to it being a blow gasket of some sort please help :confused:

Sounds like potentially a clutch/geerbox problem seing as it onlyt does it when your mooving. Have you checked your geerbox oil?

Good luck,
Alan

Ah it does actually do it when its stationary in neutral so that would cancel that out as the clutch is not engaged.

Does the catalytic converter make this noise when it is fooked as i have recently had the front downpipe changed, the noise and performance loss was after that change.

Bloody garages

Thanks

Fan belt is brand new and tight all belts tensioned properly.

Thanks. problem still persists.

My punto mk2 1.2 mia does exactly the same, did you manage to sort this problem in the end? cheers

Mine does it but I'm convinced it's a slight air leak where the air filter bolts onto the side of the engine.

Back