Technical Punto shuts down randomly when driving

Currently reading:
Technical Punto shuts down randomly when driving

Janttila

Hi

I have Punto 2004 which shuts down when driving. It doesn't start immediately but when disconnecting battery minus for a while it starts normally. This is very harmful fault. I have done temporary fix by adding relay to the plus wire which goes from battery to fuse box ( in motor compartment). When car switch down I just push button inside and relay switches electricity off for a while and the car is again running normally.
What could cause this kind of problem?

Br. Jari

Hi

I have Punto 2004 which shuts down when driving. It doesn't start immediately but when disconnecting battery minus for a while it starts normally. This is very harmful fault. I have done temporary fix by adding relay to the plus wire which goes from battery to fuse box ( in motor compartment). When car switch down I just push button inside and relay switches electricity off for a while and the car is again running normally.
What could cause this kind of problem?

Br. Jari
Hi again

I have made some more experimental with this problem. I changed the ecu, immobilizer box and ignition switch. It seems that the problem still exist. It doesn't give any error codes so its very difficult to proceed.

br. Jari

It's really difficult to give any good advice. If it was me, when it cuts out & won't start, I'd see what's missing (fuel or spark) & work back from there.

Hi again

I have made some more experimental with this problem. I changed the ecu, immobilizer box and ignition switch. It seems that the problem still exist. It doesn't give any error codes so its very difficult to proceed.

br. Jari
I am guessing a bit here as to what is causing the problem and what might fix it.

Which ECU do you have? One possibility is one of the 12V wires to the ECU has an intermittant connection which then needs you to reboot the ECU. Normally the ECU is always running so it will not reboot until the power is disconnected. These cars are getting quite old so you might need to unplug all the fusebox plugs check them for corrosion and reinsert them to get rid of the corrosion.

It's really difficult to give any good advice. If it was me, when it cuts out & won't start, I'd see what's missing (fuel or spark) & work back from there.
Hi

The problem is that this shut down occurs randomly and usually when I'm driving in traffic and there isn't time to search the issue. Just push the button for reboot and go on.

Jari

I am guessing a bit here as to what is causing the problem and what might fix it.

Which ECU do you have? One possibility is one of the 12V wires to the ECU has an intermittant connection which then needs you to reboot the ECU. Normally the ECU is always running so it will not reboot until the power is disconnected. These cars are getting quite old so you might need to unplug all the fusebox plugs check them for corrosion and reinsert them to get rid of the corrosion.
Hi

I'm not sure which is the version of ECU. I changed the ECU to another one together with new key and immobilizer box and the problems seems to continue. So the ECU electricity could be the reason. I have to check the fuse box for corroded joints. I suppose it's the fuse box in the motor compartment because I changed the inner fuse box together with immobilizer box. Thanks for suggestion.

Br Jari

Back