General Whining noise please help

Currently reading:
General Whining noise please help

Madmaria

Hi could anyone help me find out what is causing this whining noise. It only comes on when I first start the car and after going a few miles it stops. My dad is a retired mechanic and still does work on our older family cars when he can. I just wanted to help him out a bit and save him some time out in the cold by getting some ideas from you guys before he starts taking the car to pieces. I have attached a video so you can hear for yourselves. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thankyou in advance

Sounds like a bearing

Does the sound alter if you push the clutch down

If the bonnet is open is it coming from around the auxiliary belt area

If it is, flick the belt off and see if it goes away

Inspect the belt and spin the pulleys by hand. I suspect one will feel rough

Sounds like a bearing

Does the sound alter if you push the clutch down

If the bonnet is open is it coming from around the auxiliary belt area

If it is, flick the belt off and see if it goes away

Inspect the belt and spin the pulleys by hand. I suspect one will feel rough

Here's another video I did the other day if that helps. The problem is it does it when my dad isn't there like first thing in a morning when I take the children to nursery or late at night when I nip to the shops. So it's always when the car has been stood for a good few hours. Also it maybe a coincidence but only started now the weather has got wetter and colder. The next time it does it I will video it and press the clutch to see if it changes the noise. Thankyou again I now I sound a bit painful I just feel for my dad as he's not like he used to be and don't want him out in the cold messing with it for hours on end if I could find out were the most likely problem is first. I would take it to a garage but unfortunately can't afford it right now. Thankyou again

Attachments

• VID-20221011-WA0000.mp4
    4.3 MB
Does sound more from the aux belt side in the second video

I start by checking its tension

Check for cracks

It’s better to diagnose the problem, rather than just guessing every spinning component. It sounds like the alternator bearing to me. So shouldn’t make a sound with the belt removed

Does your car have aircon ?

Check service history. Cambelt and auxbelt change is probably due and it has at least one worn pulley that needs changing. It could be the cambelt tensioner whining, then again it could be just about any bearing. With that mileage, it's very usual to need to change the freewheel clutch in the alternator. 💡 Then again it's just guesses and your dad's perfectly capable of finding out what it is. (y)It probably needs all belts, tensioners, waterpump changed at least. I'd use a stethoscope to find the source of the noise.

I'd not drive the car if it had a bearing noise that loud though. :eek:

Sounds pretty terminal for something.

If it’s got aircon try turning it off see if that helps, I’d be inclined to go with others suggestion of the alternator, it’s a problem area on the 1.2 and 1.4 petrol engines.
Also bearings on anything on the drive belt or the cam side. Get it checked properly ASAP because with that noise it’s likely to let you down badly sooner rather than later.

Snapping aux drive belts have been known to also wreck the cambelt as they let go and this can mean destruction for the engine

Back