General Which winter tyres are people going for

Currently reading:
General Which winter tyres are people going for

Seriously? You have different tyres for the winter?

I'm amazed you're surprised by this; many folks have been fitting winter tyres for years, and in some parts of Europe, it's mandatory.

There's a reasonably balanced report here.

My own view is that, for driving in the UK, it's a close call and depends on where you live, how you use your car and the type of roads you normally drive on.

An interesting comment in that linked article is that using a summer spacesaver spare with winter tyres will make the car even more unbalanced than usual. For those that do fit winter tyres, how many of you have a set of five (so that you are carrying a winter spare). The ultra nerdy might even consider fitting a winter spacesaver - does such a thing exist?

Last edited:
I'm amazed you're surprised by this; many folks have been fitting winter tyres for years, and in some parts of Europe, it's mandatory.

There's a reasonably balanced report here.

My own view is that, for driving in the UK, it's a close call and depends on where you live, how you use your car and the type of roads you normally drive on.

An interesting comment in that linked article is that using a summer spacesaver spare with winter tyres will make the car even more unbalanced than usual. For those that do fit winter tyres, how many of you have a set of five (so that you are carrying a winter spare). The ultra nerdy might even consider fitting a winter spacesaver - does such a thing exist?

Lol, there will be some geeks out there for sure!:D(y)

I quite agree with your comment. They are by no means a necessity in all parts of the UK, but I think people would be surprised at how useful they are.

Not talking necessarily about needing them for severe snow and ice, but particularly for commuters who are travelling to and from work in the dark during the winter months.

I was also really impressed with the winter tyres I fitted to our old 500/Panda during the particularly wet winters of the past 3 or 4 years. They stuck to the roads really well, even when there was a lot of standing water. Difference compared to the factory fitted EcoContacts was like night and day, I really can't emphasise that enough.

If they were to be made mandatory in the UK, I think you would see a fall in the number of weather-related accidents/delays on our roads during the winter months. But the flip side is that they would probably make a number of drivers feel "invincible" - which they won't be as there is only so much that winter tyres can do!

Concerning the spare, by far the easiest thing to do, is fit a good all season tyre to it, that way you're reasonably covered.

I swapped my Saab summer wheels over for my winter ones yesterday. Overnight temperature tonight is due to drop to minus 2 degrees and going to work at 06.30, I'd rather have my Continental winters on anyday over my Uniroyal summer tyres.

For all the expert drivers out there who think they know all about driving on snow, remember, you're only lucky for so long and whilst you might get away with it one day, you may not be so lucky the next. I'll stick with my winter tyres thank you, because 30 years of driving has taught me not to be complacent. :D

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/weath...lanket-parts-of-country/ar-AAjZCW7?li=BBoPWjQ

Look at the brake test bit. But all the wonderful drivers would never dream of driving close in snow. Possibly true but sadly that doesn't stop the idiot in the misted up car late for work pulling out the side street while trying to plug his/her iPod into the glove box socket. And however good a driver you are, you are powerless to control the other drivers out there (unless you are Obi Wan Kenobi).

Just had Michelin Cross-Climates fitted to our (2WD) Suzuki S-Cross. I'll report on their performance in the snow and ice if it ever gets to balmy Berkshire! From what I've read, they seem a much more practical solution to better winter grip than buying and storing extra wheels and tyres, swapping them twice a year etc.

I had winter tyres for the last 4 years on my Grande Punto Abarth
Pros: Better grip, better stopping, better cornering. Feeling more secure because of the above. Having two sets of tyres prolonged the life of both sets
Cons: Cost, storage, fitting, not enough snow to justify them

Living in Hampshire, there was almost no snow in the last 4 years. There was better grip and the car felt more sure footed throughout the winter months. But, and its a big but, storage was always a problem as well as fitting (had to use tyre fitters so a big palaver). On the good side, both sets lasted me twice as long as one might have done.

The car is gone now, and I won't be getting winter tyres for the replacement as I think its not worth it (because of mildness of weather here) My husband is over the moon!;)

Have Run winter tyres for past 4 - 5 years

Why do i fit them?
Its not going its stopping

A light weight car with NO abs - You hit ICE, its all about my skill as a driver to control the stopping and slide

When i had summer tyres on - with about 2 / 2.5mm tread on them
I kept going, with did suffer alot of wheel spinning, but i hardly got stuck

Now with winters - i stick it in 1st, ride the clutch till the engine is just ticking over with it fully engaged - im fine :)

I kept up in the snow with other 4wd going up hill - i was eggin them on to go faster tbh...

I like they do grip better
going from 185 to 165's does help with pushing more weight onto the tyres = Better braking grip and in the snow, we all know wide tyres DONT HELP

Having a side wall also does help :)

ziggy

Sorry, am I being dense - whats the issue with fitting new tyres in the winter? Surely you fit them when they are needed like I did with our other car yesterday. Two of the tyres were down to about 2mm, and the other two were just under 3 so I decided to replace them all. I doubt they would have stayed legal till next spring.

Sorry, am I being dense - whats the issue with fitting new tyres in the winter? Surely you fit them when they are needed like I did with our other car yesterday. Two of the tyres were down to about 2mm, and the other two were just under 3 so I decided to replace them all. I doubt they would have stayed legal till next spring.

It's fitting of specific winter tyres on steel rims rather than having your normal tyres. A bit anal for me.

The issue with me, is that if the tyres are fine with good tread, why change them BECAUSE it's winter?

Even if you have spare wheels with winter tyres ready for the next winter, where do you put them during the summer?
When does winter start? Would you change your wheels/tyres if the weather warmed up?

Sounds far too much hassle to me.

Maybe have two cars? One for winter use, the other for the summer? :eek:

As I've said, I've driven in winters up and down the country, and never felt the need for special tyres ........... just because it's winter.

Sorry, I won't bother, just like for the past 46 years of driving.
Mick.

The issue with me, is that if the tyres are fine with good tread, why change them BECAUSE it's winter?

Safety. Winter tyres give a substantial improvement in braking and cornering performance in true winter conditions, and some improvement once the temperature falls below about 7C. It could mean the difference between staying in control of your vehicle, or having a nasty accident.

As I've said, I've driven in winters up and down the country, and never felt the need for special tyres ........... just because it's winter.

Sorry, I won't bother, just like for the past 46 years of driving.

You could apply the same argument to any of the safety enhancements introduced over the past 46 years. The first car I ever drove had no seatbelts, no collapsible steering column, no power brakes, no ABS, no flashing indicators, no crumple zones, no airbags, no padded dashboard, no electronic safety systems, crossply tyres, drum brakes... the list goes on. You can still drive that car today, perfectly legally; would I want to do so on a daily basis, no way. It'd be an absolute deathtrap in an accident.

The fact that folks managed without a safety feature in the past can't be used to justify not having that extra safety in the present.

Last edited:
....You could apply the same argument to any of the safety enhancements introduced over the past 46 years. The first car I ever drove had no seatbelts, no collapsible steering column, no power brakes, no ABS, no flashing indicators, no crumple zones, no airbags, no padded dashboard, no eletronic safety systems, crossply tyres, drum brakes... the list goes on. You can still drive that car today, perfectly legally; would I want to do so on a daily basis, no way. It'd be an absolute deathtrap in an accident.

The fact that folks managed without a safety feature in the past can't be used to justify not having that extra safety in the present.

Back