General Which winter tyres are people going for

Currently reading:
General Which winter tyres are people going for

Well I bought four TOYO S943 last year for our Hyundai i10 and they were/are excellent imo. I only paid £125.04 for the set from Gigatyres. Considering they are manufactured in Japan, when they arrived, they were only four months old from the factory. The price has gone up this year though:

https://www.giga-tyres.co.uk/search...text=&pageSize=10&sort=priceValue-asc&page=0#

Which reminds me, for those running on alloys, I've still got four steel wheels mounted with Vredestein winter tyres, approx 6mm left on all four tyres, in my garage, hung up on a wheel tree, like mushrooms, kept in the dark which I really need to sell on....:p

I've been driving and owning cars since early 1971. I passed my driving test Dec 1970 in Wigan.

I have owned dozens of cars. I've lived in Lancashire, Scotland, Devon, Hampshire, and latterly Cornwall.

I have never ever ever fitted winter tyres, and I'm not going to start now.
Sorry to be obtuse and contrary about this. :)

Greetings from damp, dismal, and cold Cornwall.
Mick.

I don't think you're being obtuse Mick, I just don't think that you totally appreciate their value.

Prior to being converted, I too was sceptical about their efficiency or thought that there really was no need, that there was no requirement for their use in the UK and it was probably all a bit of a waste of money etc. However, where I live now, we've had snow four out of the last 5 winters and when we get it, it tends to cause chaos.....for the folks who don't have winter tyres on their vehicles, which boil down to the vast majority. People running around with 3 or 4mm of tread on summer tyres with zero grip on hills, sliding backward and slewing into parked cars. We have a particularly long steep hill up into our village, a main road. Once there's a couple of inches of snow on it, it's hell. It would be funny if it wasn't so serious, but I've been happily able to drive up it in my Saab 9-3 1.9, safe and with plenty of grip, only to be passed by cars sliding backward down the hill (I've had to overtake them to avoid a collision) and I've made my way merrily to the top!

For general winter use, I wouldn't go back to using summer rated tyres again in my part of the world. If I lived in the South West, I definitely wouldn't bother, but with average daily temperatures where I am that consistanly hang around the freezing to 3 degrees Celcius mark on most winter mornings, winter tyres have saved our backsides numerous times on black ice, ensuring we stop safely and continue on our journeys without trouble, save the folk driving far too fast on tyres that prove pretty useless in sub zero temperatures.

I have never had the misfortune to need an airbag, but I still appreciate the benefit it could provide one day...........

I have fitted Michelin cross climate to my cars for a couple of years now and they are brilliant. For starters they aren't a true winter tyre but perform pretty as well in all the winter tests, wet grip is superb and they are good in the dry. Having driven a rwd beemer estate up a hill that was stopping all the soft road 4x4s last winter I enjoyed a little smugness at having the right tyre for the weather. Why wouldn't you use them?

I don't think you're being obtuse Mick, I just don't think that you totally appreciate their value.
Totally?

I'm sure they do have value, but the millions of motorists out there don't bother.
I don't bother either, and have never ever ever had issues one way or another, no matter where I've lived or driven.

As I say, I'm sure they are wonderful, but I've never used them, and i'm sure most folk don't either.

Regards,
Mick.

To be fair Mick, you are correct, millions of motorists in the UK don't bother because lots of them live in the South of England where it would be difficult to justify using them in temperatures milder that much further North. Also they neither want the extra expense that buying a set of extra tyres or even wheels will bring and most probably won't have the storage for them when not in use.

I think your outlook would be much different if you were driving in the Alps in winter. I believe that in Austria, Germany, Sweden and other European countries, winter tyres are compulsory during the winter months and that includes tourists from the UK travelling on their roads.

Having spent a winter down the Falkland Islands many moons ago, I appreciate probably more than many the real benefits. Don't forget, winter tyres aren't just all about driving in snow, the rubber is much more efficient and in temperatures below 7 degrees celcius providing increased grip and stopping distance. We'd all like to think we are perfect drivers, but black ice is no one's friend and it doesn't matter if you're Carlos Fandango, if you hit black ice in the wrong place, without the right rubber, you're chances may not be great. Just saying.....(y)

With the South West, it really does depend on where you live. We are really near to the south coast and to be honest it is always a good 4 to 5 degrees warmer here than most places in winter. However, go about 10 miles inland and you're knocking on the door of Dartmoor where there is a much greater risk of wintry road conditions.

I am not sure either the 500 or Punto will be getting winter tyres this year, but not made my mind up completely. The 500 has had a new set of Kuhmo summer tyres in the past few months, and it certainly feels less slippy than it did with the EcoContacts, so "on balance" they will probably be OK this year.

That's not to say I wouldn't want to have winter tyres on both cars, but we aren't really doing all that much mileage, and we live in a town with more or less everything essential in walking distance (our previous place was more rural and I didn't like the idea of being cut off if the weather was bad!).

But the overall benefit of winter tyres still remains, I know they are not mandatory in the UK but they are one of those things that you will rate once you use them.

Reading around, the latest breed of all season tyres such as the Michelin Cross Climate give almost all the benefits of dedicated winter tyres, but without compromising summer performance or wear rate. Furthermore, they are quiet and give good ride comfort. They cost a bit more than non-premium brands, but much cheaper and less faff than having a second set of wheels. Unfortunately, the last time I checked they weren't available for the 195/45s fitted to my 500, but I'll be getting a set for our Suzuki S-Cross in the next few weeks.

To be fair Mick, you are correct, millions of motorists in the UK don't bother because lots of them live in the South of England where it would be difficult to justify using them in temperatures milder that much further North.

I think your outlook would be much different if you were driving in the Alps in winter.
I remember driving in Scotland during the winters of 1974 to 1979. Cold, icy, snowy. I was driving with crossply tyres back then. Never had a problem.
Also during the winters of 1982 to 1984. Radials by then. Still never had a problem.

No doubt if I lived or drove in the Alps, I would be thinking of studded tyres and/or winter tyres I have no doubt.

As I don't, I won't ........... and I'm staying with the countless millions of motorists throughout the British Isles who don't.

Sunny today. :)
Mick.

Last edited:
Probably ordering winter tyres for the Abarth tomorrow, probably Yokohamas, purchased a spare set of alloys for the job. I too need to dispose of the 14" steelies and winter tyres from the old 500. Anyone in Kent want a very cheap set?

All those saying they've managed perfectly fine without winter tyres, I managed perfectly OK too for 30 years too but until you've driven on them on snow and ice you really have no idea of the extra grip they give.

Spike

Probably ordering winter tyres for the Abarth tomorrow, probably Yokohamas, purchased a spare set of alloys for the job. I too need to dispose of the 14" steelies and winter tyres from the old 500. Anyone in Kent want a very cheap set?

All those saying they've managed perfectly fine without winter tyres, I managed perfectly OK too for 30 years too but until you've driven on them on snow and ice you really have no idea of the extra grip they give.

Spike
it's a shame you aren't closer or I would have been very interested.

Back