General Whey hey!!

Currently reading:
General Whey hey!!

:woot::woot::woot::woot: X :woot::woot::woot::woot:

4x4 now has MOT! :) Managed to get a cancellation due to bad roads and she passed :eek: - couldn't believe it! 2 advisories (different to previous owner's fail advisories) - N/S ball joint rubber perished and slight play in steering rack.
N/S indicators wouldn't work - so I stepped fwd and wiggled the earth tag - bingo!
Just right in these conditions!
I'm celebrating tonight, oh yes :slayer:

:woot::woot::woot::woot: X :woot::woot::woot::woot:

4x4 now has MOT! :) Managed to get a cancellation due to bad roads and she passed :eek: - couldn't believe it! 2 advisories (different to previous owner's fail advisories) - N/S ball joint rubber perished and slight play in steering rack.
N/S indicators wouldn't work - so I stepped fwd and wiggled the earth tag - bingo!
Just right in these conditions!
I'm celebrating tonight, oh yes :slayer:

Good news! (y)

Cheers Jon and Martin!
and good luck with your Y10 Dave - looks as if it's been a big project!
Thanks again Vernon - I wouldn't have spotted it without your link - I can relax a bit now it's tested.
Ha, the new front pipe started blowing after about an hour and the indicator and the dipped beam started acting up. I can confirm that if dipped beam on both sides don't work and the heater fan don't sw. on they share an earth on the hedgehog on the O/S inner wing (under battery) and if O/S dip don't work it earth's on the N/S inner wing hedgehog along with the indicator...
...glad they just held together through the MOT!
(y)
mick

Well, more than I would have paid... and the first thing the tester told me that it came up on his computer as an insurance write off :eek: - but then went on to say that they can be written off with quite minor damage and I'd already noted that it has had a wing as the bumper mounting is still bent and rusty (now waxoyled) and it's still in that black primer behind the wing guard and there's some rust on the seam up to the windscreen - a sure sign... I would say it's not been looked after as it should for a few years, but still basically solid. Maybe the last impulsive Panda purchase... for me at least... well for a while anyway... ahem, ha ha.
Yay, I have to say it's brill in the snow!! :D Rumbles along like a mini tank!
(y)

the first thing the tester told me that it came up on his computer as an insurance write off :eek:

Hah :confused:

How he have access to HPi check?

LWM mind doing me a small favour out of interest? Go to http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/

Check all its MOT's and see if it mentions anything about this write off on there please? Just might be a cheaper way of doing checks on a cars historys in future if looking to buy one if it lists write off on there also (Obviously only viewable by owner though as you need V5/mot cert details etc, but if viewing a car you could ask to see them and make a note :p).

Jon.

Hah :confused:

How he have access to HPi check?

LWM mind doing me a small favour out of interest? Go to http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/

Check all its MOT's and see if it mentions anything about this write off on there please? Just might be a cheaper way of doing checks on a cars historys in future if looking to buy one if it lists write off on there also (Obviously only viewable by owner though as you need V5/mot cert details etc, but if viewing a car you could ask to see them and make a note :p).

Jon.

As far as I know motor traders can run HPi checks on any car if they have an account with a HPi website. The mechanic we use has done it for us before.

Interesting - only goes back to '96 (probably when computerisation of records began?) - no mention of write-off though (y)
The write-off could have occured before this date maybe? (as the rusty bit on the seam and the bent bumper mounting suggests perhaps)
At least the mileage tallies...
Shame the records don't go right back - I wonder if they would provide details on request?

As far as I know motor traders can run HPi checks on any car if they have an account with a HPi website. The mechanic we use has done it for us before.

True, but someone just doing an MOT wouldn't normally do this would they? Normally only Retail garages rather than servicing garages that set-up HPi accounts I thought due to cost.

Interesting - only goes back to '96 (probably when computerisation of records began?) - no mention of write-off though (y)
The write-off could have occured before this date maybe? (as the rusty bit on the seam and the bent bumper mounting suggests perhaps)
At least the mileage tallies...
Shame the records don't go right back - I wonder if they would provide details on request?

You are indeed correct. Only goes back to when they became computerised.

I know that my Selecta (1993 K-reg) came up under HPi check as stolen and recovered back sometime before the year 2000.

Sisters mk3 Panda, as stolen, recovered and written off as a CAT-C on the same date back in 2006 iirc also. HPi checks are interesting things :D :p

Are we on about rear when you mention rusty seam and bumper mount?

Well it's the 1st time this has happened to me, so I'm equally confused.
Just spoke to the guy that sold it me on the phone and he denies it's a write-off and says the tester don't know what he's talking about...
We're talking F/N/S wing... the CLX is the same so I knew as soon as I saw the slight bubbling on the seam, confirmed when I dropped the plastic wing guard to re-mount the bumper.
It's no big deal as the car's basically sound and I can't say I'm unhappy with it, just prefer people to be up-front that's all. I suppose I could go back to the tester... lol :worship:

Back