General wheels

Currently reading:
General wheels

triballofts

hi does fitting 15" wheels to the panda make any difference to body roll or is it the same as 13" i am running 175 70 13s at the moment

hi does fitting 15" wheels to the panda make any difference to body roll or is it the same as 13" i am running 175 70 13s at the moment

Your tyres are 1806mm circumference have 123mm sidewall depth.

Marginal difference to "body roll" (i.e. tyre roll) thought you can squeeze extra grip and thus lose a little economy.

Our 169 has:

SUMMER
FIAT Panda 5.50 x 14 wheels
185/60-14 tyres
1815mm and 111mm

WINTER
FIAT Punto Mk2 6.0 x 15 wheels
195/50-15 tyres
1809mm and 98mm

so if i was to use your winter set up with summer tyres would that make much difference

so if i was to use your winter set up with summer tyres would that make much difference

Hmmm. It's personal preference.

Personally I prefer the wider tyre for the grip and the lower profile does help a little without being uncomfortable. In terms of looks it's also an improvement.

I contacted this place to check the offset for these wheels as I fancied replacing my Punto wheels for these Punto wheels. Sadly, they said the offset was not known (nor stamped in the cast) and were unwilling to perform a "steel ruler" test for me. I suspect they're ok though.

Price is very good for such nice wheels.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SET-OF-F...783781?hash=item569d82d1e5:g:sSsAAOSwhilZZNvt

Even cheaper and 14 inch:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/188-Mk2-M...494726?hash=item3f88b4df86:g:kMoAAOSwrFJZ12pL

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
It all a compromise as I see it wider tyres.

More grip on ice

More grip in the dry

Less grip on some snow

Less grip on standing water

Probably not to relevant but F1 cars use a narrower rain tyre.

Not all areas have the same weather conditions.

Many on here, me included, have ditched the original 13" rims for 14" or larger.

One downside of the 13" is that there is limited tyre choice. That is a factor to consider when deciding whether or not to change.

does it make any difference to ins also does a 15" spare wheel fit in the well

ok thanks sod it ill leave well alone that was one of the main things that got me thinking about the newer panda the lounge 15" wheels

Only just noticed first post "175 70 13s "

Originals were

155R13, 165/65R14, 175/65R14 or 185/55HR15

With a space saver as a spare.

Body roll as little to do with tyres.

Springs and anti roll bar.

Must add this as I thought I had knackered one of my front wheels last Saturday. Bang it went at about 50mph. Wider tyres are more likely to catch the edge of a Canyon like Pot Hole and not plunder into it...
Just a Thought...

hmm i am with the AA ins could be a can off worms then

In all my past insurers, the change of tyre/wheel to wider has made no difference to premiums but I always advise them. Same is usually said for fitting an aftermarket stereo if you fancy Bluetooth etc - no premium hike, which surprised me.

For the standard alloys they are notified that I run 185/60 versus 175/65 and for the winters that I run 195/50-15.

Theoretically you should probably have advised your own insurer you're running 175/70 when the standard is 155. Again, probably won't affect premiums. Costs nothing to ask.

All Pandas have spacesaver spares as the wheel well is small.

Must add this as I thought I had knackered one of my front wheels last Saturday. Bang it went at about 50mph. Wider tyres are more likely to catch the edge of a Canyon like Pot Hole and not plunder into it...
Just a Thought...

Taller side walls and steel wheels are normally less prone to damage. But there are always exceptions.

Taller side walls and steel wheels are normally less prone to damage.

:yeahthat:.

They're also cheaper to replace if the worst does happen.

IMO the 1.1/1.2 Pandas are at their best (and certainly their most economical) on 155/80x13 wheels & tyres.

If you're concerned about safety & handling, fit decent tyres. You can get Michelin E3B's in this size for about £50 a corner fitted & balanced, if you shop around.

Back