Styling Wheels, offset malarky yet again (sorry!)

Currently reading:
Styling Wheels, offset malarky yet again (sorry!)

ronnieronson

Bring On The Trumpets!
Sorry to bring this up yet again, but I'm a bit confused by what I've just read in the guides (cheers Custard!), so here goes:

custard said:
offset(ET) on cinq/sei is around 30-38 for replacement alloys
30.5 with a 3mm spacer at the front so an offset of 27.5 on OE alloys or for the sei abarth 36 but with an OE 10cm spacers at the front giving an offset of 26

Does this mean that with my Sei abarth, that so long as I leave the spacers on the car, that I will need to order my new alloys with an offset of around 36? - thus maintaining the same offset I have with my current wheels?

Sorry to bring this up yet again, but I'm a bit confused by what I've just read in the guides (cheers Custard!), so here goes:

Does this mean that with my Sei abarth, that so long as I leave the spacers on the car, that I will need to order my new alloys with an offset of around 36? - thus maintaining the same offset I have with my current wheels?

i'f it helps, i've got 14" 6j 35et 4x100pcd

with no spacers, other than the 3mm standard one on the front, non on the back

i'f it helps, i've got 14" 6j 35et 4x100pcd

with no spacers, other than the 3mm standard one on the front, non on the back

bit different on the Sei I'm afraid, but thanks anyways Karl - you're car's lookin sweet by the way (y)

mine are 14x6 pcd100, ET 36 I believe

I run no spacers on the rear, I run 10mm spacers on the front, giving an effective ET of 26 on the front.

I have no issues at all with the rear. The fronts still rub slightly on the gearbox on full lock, but its no biggie, and I hardly ever use full lock anyway.

The only reason I run 10mm on the front is for handling purposes. You could possibly not need them, but as you have them anyway you may as well keep them (y)

http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

may be of some help as well, was in a sticky in the general fiat section.

Kristian

Last edited:
mine are 14x6 pcd100, ET 36 I believe

I run no spacers on the rear, I run 10mm spacers on the front, giving an effective ET of 26 on the front.

I have no issues at all with the rear. The fronts still rub slightly on the gearbox on full lock, but its no biggie, and I hardly ever use full lock anyway.

The only reason I run 10mm on the front is for handling purposes. You could possibly not need them, but as you have them anyway you may as well keep them (y)

http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

may be of some help as well, was in a sticky in the general fiat section.

Kristian

Cheers Kristian - afaik, the abarth seis come with the 10mm ones up front.
The wheels im looking at are 4x98, 6j, et36 - hoping to run them on 195/40/14 Continental sport contacts.
The car is currently on Sei abarth wheels (which I think are 5.5j et36) running on budget 175/50/14 tires.

Wasn't really sure if 195s would be too big, but I think they should be ok.
Not concerned about the rears, but the fronts were my main concern as I do use full lock quite a lot for parking down my ridiculously overcrowded street :p
The car hasn't been lowered - and I have no intentions of doing so for at least the next 6 months, if the tires are a problem when that happens I guess I can always switch back to 175/50's - they're just a bugger to get hold of in a decent make :p

I used 185/50 which is a slightly larger tyre. Also i got the sportcontact - great tyre.

As they are the same offset as mine and width, they will go on the rear ok. I have about 3mm clearance between the rim and the rear arm though! Also the tyre apparently rubs on something every so often. I can see it but not hear it. After 4K with them, there is no real wear though.

I bought 4mm spacers to take it out, but it doesn't leave much of the centering ring...it would be ok with 98's but not worth the risk with wobblies tbh.

I may get some 3mm spacers on the rear at some point, but i have to sell the 4mm and find some 3mm.

At the front with the 10mm spacer, that width and offset, you will be fine. It does rub the box, but its a very smooth painted end on the box. It does no damage at all to the tyre or box.

I think 195 may cause you more problems due to it's extra width though. All my notes are in reference to 185/50.

Kristian

Right lets do this again.

Cinq sportings wheels are 13" diameter and 5 1/2 inch wide (5.5J) the offset (ET) is 30.5mm.

The Sportings come with 3mm spacers as standard on the fron, this gives an effective ET of 27.5, none on rear.

Now with the Abarth wheels they are 14" diameter and again are 5.5J but the ET is 36mm but with 10mm spacers on front only giving effective ET of 26mm.

Now this is where it may confuse you, but I will try to keep it all laymen. If you change the width of a wheel the ET will not be the same as the ET is the distance between the mounting face and the centre point of the wheel, therefore if the overall width is increased the ET can't be the same. I can't make it any simpler than that.

So a 6J wheel with ET 36 will not be the same as a 5.5J wheel ET36.

Therefore the reason that Kritip gets rubbing on lock is because although he has replicated the ET of Abarth wheels there extra 1/2 of wheel that is not accounted for, so the inside rim is approx about an extra 1/4inch (6.5ish mm) closer to the car than on a 5.5J wheel, hence rubbing on gearbox.

So its always a juggling act between where you want to put the extra wheel width, on the outside or inside, on rear you really want to keep it on inside to make use of extra space inside arch and prevent the chance of the tyre hitting wheel arch rim, and on front its better to try and put it to the outside as this not only increase track, no bad thing on a FWD car with lots of understeer, but prevents wheels from hitting things on lock.

So if ordering new wheels yes try and keep as close to possible the ET but remember that an increase in width will mean they are not exactly the same as before.

I had 14" 6J ET35 Compomotive Mo's on my Cinq running 195/45 rubber and used 10mm spacers on front only and had no issues. Though in hindsight I would if I did it again run 12mm spacers on front none rear giving effective front ET of 23mm.

I did run Punto GT wheels before that were 14" 5.5J ET45 with 30mm spacers (effective ET15) on front and they never caught anything and the turn in was much improved and they still stayed within edges of wing so no bother MOT time.

And on a 6J wheel go for a 195/45 rubber much more options of better rubber like Toyo Proxes, Goodyear Eagle F1's, Uniroyal Rainsports, and because more options tyres are cheaper than 185/50's which are only really good on 5.5J wheels. Plus 195/45 is slightly smaller diameter and wider contact patch so doesn't dent acceleration as much as 185/50 (MPi Abarth/Schumi got a shorter final drive to make up for this so non Abarth/Schumi fitted with 14" wheels will be slower than these cars), has more grip, and look better.

Aaron.

Last edited:
Blah...blah...blah...wheelstuff.....blah....
Aaron.

ARRRRRRRGH!!!????? :confused:

I am sooooo 'fused now :p

I'm fairly certain that everything you just said was really helpful - maybe I need to read it again when I'm more awake lol.

I screwed up by the way - the offset on the wheels I want is 38.

So basically, on a 6j wheel the offset at 36, then they would be about 12mm different to a 5.5j offset wheel? or am I just going mental here lmao...
...and that's before I even take into concideration the extra 10mm (20mm spread) contribution from the width on the tires??
Plus the extra 2mm from the larger offset (which presumably would cut in on the inside track?).
So potentially thats an extra 24mm worth of space I have to account for?
ARRRRRRGH!!!!???

*Matt's Brain Pops*

Jees, just when you thought you'd got your head round all this offset crap ;)

Ok so - I suppose final question has to be;

6j - 14x98 - et38 (sorry - got it wrong, thought they were a 36, but they're a 38) - running 195/40/14's
as a replacement to
5.5j Sei Abarth's- 14x98 - et 36 - running 175/50/14's

On a Sei Abarth...

...opinions? will they fit? will I have problems?

...I feel so retarded for not understanding any of this - especially with all the fannying around I did getting the offset right on my Cinq!

Sorry 'bout all this Aaron - I really do appreciate the advice, just struggling to take it all in :bang:

...I'm going to bed

Last edited:
I understood and still understand the differing offsets when you have different alloy widths, but my post was simply intended to say I have the same spec wheel and spacers, and they fit, with the minor notes I mentioned. Simple as that (y)

You don't really have to worry about it ;)

In an ideal world, I would have no rubbing, as I could specify what ET I wanted for an ideal fit, but as you know, realistically you can only get a certain range of wheels and spacers, and by using what you already have, and getting that wheel, they will go on :)

Kristian

Simple answer is this, if you get a 14" 6J ET38 wheel, i would recommend running 3mm Fiat spacers as found on Cinq sportings at the rear and 15mm spacers at the front and run a 195/45 14 rubber don't even bother with a 185/50 as its not as good a size.

So to compare like for like.

A 5.5J ET36 wheel against a 6J ET38 wheel means that;

The inner rim is 8mm closer to car/strut housing.
The outer rim is 4mm further out.

So not a huge amount of differance but could cause issues with rubbing.

If we take the front wheel ET on Sei Abarth including have 10mm spacers, and my recommendation of using a 15mm spacer on a ET38 wheel you get the two ET to be 26 and 23.

The inner rim is 3mm closer to the car/strut housing.
The outer rim is 9mm further out.

Again not a huge amount, and should lessen chances of any rubbing.

I used the offset calculator from here http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

I'm gonna bookmark this thread - I think I understand it better now than I ever have! (y)

Cheers Guys!
:D

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
They are mille miglia alloys and have been fitted to members seis/cinqs before

Yes they will fit

Ah back home and on eBay, I see now.

Items like THESE are 100pcd and thats what I thought you may have been looking at.

Cheers,

Kristian

ahh i get you now. even the description of those is terrible. they are 14" in the title, but 15" in the description...

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back