General Wheel nuts

Currently reading:
General Wheel nuts

Depends what wheels you are fitting and what wheels you had previously. Always best to get the correct bolts rather than wobbly ones, unless you have to in the case of 100pcd alloys.

Steel wheel bolts on alloys and vice versa are a big 'no no'.

Why is that then chap? Are bolts that are used on steel wheels not compatible with alloy wheels? or is the length different for any difference in material thickness at the centres?

Say that, as I used the original bolts when I changed from steels to alloys, fitted fine. Haven't had any negative effects.

Have I done something wrong, and do I need to go and buy some new bolts? What is the difference?

Last edited:
Stilo_ste said:
Why is that then chap? Are bolts that are used on steel wheels not compatible with alloy wheels? or is the length different for any difference in material thickness at the centres?

Say that, as I used the original bolts when I changed from steels to alloys, fitted fine. Haven't had any negative effects.

Have I done something wrong, and do I need to go and buy some new bolts? What is the difference?

Same here on my last Stilo. In fact, the Fiat garage did it for me and never mentioned the difference in materials for the bolts.

I would have thought that the steel wheels would be much thinner than the alloys. The spare on my tipo has a thick spacer attached to it to make up for the thickness of the alloy.

I would check using the EPER that the wheel bolts are not different as every steel wheel bolt I have seen has been shorter than the alloy equivalent.

I have Coupe wheels on a Stilo and needed Coupe wheel bolts & lockers as Stilo bolts are shorter. I used all genuine FIAT bolts & lockers. My local FIAT dealer did order a set of Stilo locking bolts, their rational was that these would be easier to sell on if they didnt fit. Stilo lockers look Identical to the Stilo steel wheel bolts, in terms of seat/pitch & length and assume are the thing to use if you are fitting genuine Stilo Alloys.

Technical bit: diameter pitch length
Stilo Bolts = 12 mm 1.25 25 mm

Coupe Bolts = 12 mm 1.25 34 mm

Genuine FIAT lockers should set you back around £25 incl. VAT - Hellfrauds McGuard lockers £ 32.99 - did spot a set that would do Stilo alloys but nowt in McGuard long enough for Coupe application!

EDIT: Notice from my notes that FIAT dealer did quote me for bolts for fitting Stilo alloys also (made out of a different material to the steel wheel bolts perhaps?) so would advise you to check with FIAT unless any techs here who can confirm/advise???

Last edited:
StiloBoy said:
So any of the Active spec Stilo owners want to answer this? Anyone thats gone for Steelies to genuine Fiat Stilo Alloys please! As your the only ones that can answer under these circumstances! ;)

IMO I dont think you nessesarily have to worry what spec the car is cos in the handbook it tells you the ET /offset of the wheels you just need one member to give you the bolt length and that I would have thought would be that I can tell you that i read the other day that bolts should turn between 6 to 8 full turns into the hub to be legally safe :) well i never knew that but we learn something new every day (y)

Back