What's made you smile today?

Currently reading:
What's made you smile today?

Which goes back to Steve's earlier point that it is not Toyota's main business to make sports cars or exciting cars and for the most part and for the last 20 years they have made pretty boring cars

25-30 years ago the "bubble" era in Japan ended...this gave us most of the Japanese hero cars but the economy crashed and the budget wasn't there for them anymore.

So they went back to what they actually do...which was boring cars.

Also a Supra compared to Skyline or an RX7...is quite a safe and by the numbers proposition. The Celica got beaten so badly by Subaru and Mitsubishi they ended up getting tossed out for cheating to keep up.

Also don't get me wrong, I and I am sure @StevenRB45 are not saying that Toyota make bad cars, non of the cars you pictured could be called bad.

It's just when flicking through pictures of 80s and 90s era super cars and sports cars I would never stop and go.... WOW look at that Toyota, I found the looks of the Mk4 supra to be pretty boring by standards of the time. as was the later model Celica's. The MR2 was also pretty typical of what you would draw if someone said draw a 2 seat sports car with the engine in the back. The latest MR2 was the most impractical car ever build not particularly fast or powerful, floppy from a lack of roof and no storage whatsoever all older cars where styled on your typical wedge of cheese or a common door stop.

nor does it have an exciting interior so I still stand by my earlier statement, it was a boring sports car and only became popular because of the fast and the furious as well as there tuneability
Have you ever driven one? the interior was very nice, the whole dash swept around the driver.
The RS3 golf R32, and the like are all boxes on wheels, no style or wow factor. A bit like any modern porche compared to the old bug eyed 911. I'd say all new cars are safe dull boring designs including your performance hot hatch (excluding your supercars).

But hey, if the punto/c3/panda all float your boat over any of those toyota then what more can I say.

But hey, if the punto/c3/panda all float your boat over any of those toyota then what more can I say.
More that in the sports car class...they still occupy the position that they do in the ordinary cars class.

I.e. mechanically safe and conventional..and as a result not actually the best car in the class just a decent bet if you want it to last a long time.

I can add nothing to the boring Toyota discussion other than I drove a few as rentals. Honestly, I liked the Prius, once I figured it out how to start it.

As far as a smile today, I was able to get the gauze pad and Ace bandage on my ankle with no assistance from Mrs.Cheest. It's not much but if I don't have to hear her complain about having to do it, it's worth a smile.

Have you ever driven one? the interior was very nice, the whole dash swept around the driver.
The RS3 golf R32, and the like are all boxes on wheels, no style or wow factor. A bit like any modern porche compared to the old bug eyed 911. I'd say all new cars are safe dull boring designs including your performance hot hatch (excluding your supercars).
yes I have driven one, but back in the early 2000s when they were essentially worthless. At that time my local scrap yard had several that had been crashed by over zealous owners. These days you would find someone buying a cubed Supra to restore, because they watched TF&TF or played a lot of granturismo in the 90s.

As for the dash here is the thing, the dash "swept around the driver" yes but it was acres of boring plain hard plastic, and controls for things like the radio or heating which were difficult for a passenger to access. every button switch and dial looked like it had come straight out of a Corolla of that era.

I would line up a new Porsche 911 up over any Toyota any day. My daily is a VW Golf my wife has a Mini the Punto is for youtube. right now I own two cars in my name but my total mileage is probably less than 100 miles a month now I work from home, so really I don't even need one car in my name other than to drop the boy off at the childminders down the road a few times a week. for which no Toyota sports car would a sensible choice, neither would a Porsche.

Now I could talk all day about the Porsche 911 as not only do they have many more generations of car than the Supra or any other Toyota for that matter, but they also have a long and interesting history. When you say "bug eyed" I think which one? 964 ? 930? 993? the 997 is also Bugeyed as is the 998 as is the newest 991 and 992s. Then it spawned the Boxster and Cayman which in its current guise can but bought as the 718 GT4 RS a 500bhp 2 seat mid mounted sports car which is an absolute weapon.

The argument you're making is that these Toyotas are exciting and I just don't see that myself. Toyotas in the 80s and 90s were boring but dependable. The sports cars were built using the same design language.
You wouldn't be here yourself if you didn't tick one of these boxes. No a Toyota of any type does not float my boat.

The "Super cars" of the 90s are now equaled in power and acceleration handling and just about anything else by the likes of the most recent Golf R and bested by the RS3 and yeah they might be boxes with no style , but the wow factor comes from the fact they have super car performance while being able to take the kids on a shopping trip to Tesco.

We don't have to agree here, I think Toyotas are essentially dull. If given the money to buy something like a Mk4 Supra I would rather spend it on a Ferrari or a Porsche.

Top Gear used to sum it up perfectly, If you have to explain what it is at a dinner party then is it really cool? "What car do you drive".... " a Toyota" rarely ever impresses anyone unless they are very nerdy and know what a supra is.

I would line up a new Porsche 911 up over any Toyota any day.
The moderms ones are all dull as ditchwater. When I had the 944, I went to the dealer and the sight of the new ones all in a row shocked me how dull they were and I had no desire to have one.
Oddly when there one time, by brother had given me a lift in the supra he had at the time. As we were walking back to the car one of the mechanics came over to lok at it and see the engine bay. It was his dream car (well his dream car didn't exist as he wanted the targe top and manual), commenting the modern porsches were great next to the supra. It was a bit of a surprise to us.
The argument you're making is that these Toyotas are exciting and I just don't see that myself. Toyotas in the 80s and 90s were boring but dependable. The sports cars were built using the same design language.
You must be driving them wrong, driven in anger they are more fun than the family cars. There is a far higher build quality than most, everything just felt solid inside.
You wouldn't be here yourself if you didn't tick one of these boxes. No a Toyota of any type does not float my boat.
Nah, my daughter liked the 500, and it has many issues. I cant think of a single fiat in the past 40-45 years that I would make of point of wanting to go look for one to buy. Whereas toyotas I've have, and owned a few GT4s.
Top Gear used to sum it up perfectly, If you have to explain what it is at a dinner party then is it really cool? "What car do you drive".... " a Toyota" rarely ever impresses anyone unless they are very nerdy and know what a supra is.
Top gear dont class anything exciting unless it costs quarter of a million. Out of the 90's sporty cars they hated the calibra the most with Hammond's derogitary comments.

The moderms ones are all dull as ditchwater. When I had the 944, I went to the dealer and the sight of the new ones all in a row shocked me how dull they were and I had no desire to have one.
That's fair enough, and comes down to personal opinion and preference. I have never been one for porches with the engines in the front, as it seems neither were the general public as the 924, 928 and by association 944 were supposed to replace the 911 and failed.

Oddly when there one time, by brother had given me a lift in the supra he had at the time. As we were walking back to the car one of the mechanics came over to lok at it and see the engine bay. It was his dream car (well his dream car didn't exist as he wanted the targe top and manual), commenting the modern porsches were great next to the supra. It was a bit of a surprise to us.
Sort of proves my point, a mechanic geeking out over it is not the same as sitting down in polite society and being able to say, "I drive a ?Porsche. Even a VW, BMW, mercedes, Jaguar. etc should the subject come up. Would all hold some weight in that conversation. But kings, princesses, celebrities and alike are never famed for driving a Toyota.

Princess Dianna drove a golf GTI. She didn't pick a Toyota Celica. These things do tend to add to the provenance of a car.
You must be driving them wrong, driven in anger they are more fun than the family cars. There is a far higher build quality than most, everything just felt solid inside.
Any car can be "Fun". I have had tremendous fun driving cars that others would not consider fast or powerful. You don't need a big engine to have fun. Really powerful cars can become less fun and more hard work if they are not set up right or they are just too powerful for their platform.

Nah, my daughter liked the 500, and it has many issues. I cant think of a single fiat in the past 40-45 years that I would make of point of wanting to go look for one to buy. Whereas toyotas I've have, and owned a few GT4s.
again it all comes down to personal preference.

You are falling into that internet trap of thinking because you hold one opinion on a car you are going to change everyone's mind.

I have no interest in toyota's of any kind, they are all dull as dish water (to parody your dislike for porsches) the thing is people are still lining up to buy porsches and other sports cars made by other companies. Toyota are not only no longer making sports cars (I am counting the rebadge BMW in this) but they didn't sell that many back in the day when they did make them.

Top gear dont class anything exciting unless it costs quarter of a million. Out of the 90's sporty cars they hated the calibra the most with Hammond's derogitary comments.
This is blatently not the case. There is one car that all 3 of the og hosts agreed on being a great car and that was the Mondeo ST200. They also loved the ST220. May loved the Sandaro and the Panda.

If you look at the car histories of many high profile motoring journalists, Toyotas are not a car that comes up very often. James May owned several Pandas, Clarkson has owned many Fords and Landrovers.

once they have written their reviews the car they pick to drive themselves and pay for with their own money often tells you a lot more about how good a car is or isn't.

I think we just need to stop this now. I am not going to change your mind. You will not change my mind so we might as well move on and agree to disagree you love Toyotas, and there are at least a couple of people on here (a fiat forum) who do not.... who would have thought!

Hello ,I'm back after , for no logical reasoning left the forum about 5 months ago ,although I did let the MOT run out on Amanda the Panda .

Nice day today , what to do whilst waiting for yet another slow eBay payer to fess up the dosh ?

I'll go out to the garage and see if the Panda has any life .

First ,connect the battery and give it a crank to see if we have any volts ......Yep we do !
Stick the bottom radiator hose back on as I drained it due to there being zero antifreeze in it , although the mildest winter ever has just occurred .
Crank the engine again and after a long crank over ,starts first time with the choke out , choke knobs , who remembers those ?
The battery life sounded perfect cranking the engine after almost exactly 5 months of rest .

Drive out the garage to avoid gassing myself , no Cat fitted to a 1992 car .
Engines a little lumpy on tickover , drive up and down the back alley , clean the front bumper with a sponge n water and put the car away again .

Next , prepare for an MOT , make sure the nearest garage that advertises MOTs actually still does them , also give the rear lights some attention to stop them going out often and eventually book in for the test .

a pic incase you've forgotten what the car looks like .
DSC09999 (2).JPG

On an entirely not even slightly Toyota adjacent note...

Hit a healthy BMI, just, but still hit it.

Half a stone to go and that'll do, unfortunately it's not dropping off so much now as starting to get running fitness back properly and that tends to lead to muscle which weighs more than fat but I enjoyed doing 10k in under an hour which...is about 10-15 mins faster than i'd managed of late and also note the word enjoyed not suffered.

Onward...should be erm "beach body ready.." for my trip to Nottingham 🤣

Stripped the rear brakes on my 4x4 . Not too bad for 5 years old. Suffering from being run under water for too many miles this winter. Lots of rust gathered and welded to the pads. All cleaned up and ready for the MOT. I just need to do the fronts but they are just a quick service from an initial view. I used this as an excuse to swap the summer wheels and tyres back so when it snows, its my fault.

Half a stone to go and that'll do, unfortunately it's not dropping off so much now as starting to get running fitness back properly and that tends to lead to muscle which weighs more than fat but I enjoyed doing 10k in under an hour which...is about 10-15 mins faster than i'd managed of late and also note the word enjoyed not suffered.

Just so you know ,there is no beach in Nottingham ,the travel agents are scamming yer !
It's land locked . :cool: 🍭

10K.... I use the Panda mate. 12 minutes and we are done.....

Our 36 year old Abarth 130TC passed it MOT yet again!

MOT tester was gob smacked and praising at the condition of the car body, trim and of course mechanical s. Praise and no advisories.

The dreaded emissions test was passed, always a concern. The EU limit when the car was produced was 4.5% and Abarth official setting for the 4 side draft carbs is 3.5% to 4.5%. Good old GOV / VOSA set the fail limit to 3.5%. Getting the car to run properly on less than 3.5% is a tricky task to achieve especially when us mere mortals can't accurately test CO before the MOT.

What is astounding is that the car is on all the original damper and springs and pretty much else all mechanical s (bar discs, drums, exhaust) despite 36 years, 85K+ miles of which 6000+ miles were done on the race track.

Sadly they don't seem to make components on modern cars last more than 5 years (if you are lucky) :)

My Magnolia has already had it's first blossoms and now the leaves are starting to appear.
Weather pretty changeable here also. Went with youngest daughter, youngest grand daughter and her two dogs through some very steep and muddy woods, daughter slipped on her ass and got muddy, grand daughter did it on purpose but had full wet weather gear on so no problem, grand dad managed to retain his "dignity" what is left of it;). By the way I tied the swings back as we had some strong winds yesterday which dislodged the lead flashing around neighbours side of chimney. Trouble is the neighbour the other side had their garage roof re felted and every time there is strong winds the chippings from the roof collect on my cars around the wiper blades, so if I just turned them on it would scratch the windscreen.

Attachments

• DSCF1250.JPG
    DSCF1250.JPG
    478 KB · Views: 8
I have been nickel plating the rusty looking metal work under the bonnet, and am very happy with the results considering it is done with a bit of vinegar, salt, a phone charger and a nickel plate

Attachments

• IMG_3011.jpeg
    IMG_3011.jpeg
    299.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3007.jpeg
    IMG_3007.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2951.jpeg
    IMG_2951.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2933.jpeg
    IMG_2933.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
I have been nickel plating the rusty looking metal work under the bonnet, and am very happy with the results considering it is done with a bit of vinegar, salt, a phone charger and a nickel plate
Great improvement!

Back