What's made you not grumpy but not smile either today?

Currently reading:
What's made you not grumpy but not smile either today?

Do you have a context to this question?
Is it part of the Citroen, or something you've seen somewhere else?

It's labelled fuse in the box, it's shared with the instrument cluster.

I assume it's to allow the fitment of something re. use as a driving school car. Just struck as little odd that the car was specifically designed for it.

Brakes wise the Fabia is sounding very like the C3 prior it's recent 4 disc and pad change. The rears especially were horrific, they weren't straight when you pressed the pedal for a harder stop you could feel it stopping unevenly as it started to lean on the rears more. When you brake gently the fronts are doing most of it.

As it was on that the discs were so bad that although there was pad material left you'd have destroyed the nice new discs leaving it.

Today's random thought of the day..what is a driving school module?

Do you have a context to this question?
Is it part of the Citroen, or something you've seen somewhere else?

It's labelled fuse in the box, it's shared with the instrument cluster.

I assume it's to allow the fitment of something re. use as a driving school car. Just struck as little odd that the car was specifically designed for it.

Likely to be for a second speedometer, if the normal one cannot be seen from the passenger seat, or additional trip functions to help train learners to be economical, without just being slow. Other possibilities might be control functions from a remote, or fixed unit, giving lights, wipers, indicators, etc. Often useful when teaching disabled people.
I suppose the only way to find the correct answer would be to enquire at a dealer. Not wishing to buy such a vehicle, or be pestered by salesmen for ever, that one will be down to you, not me. Perhaps next service you could ask, see if anyone knows.

When Vauxhall introduced the Corsa D, the speedo was deeply recessed, and impossible to see form the passenger seat. Nissan used to supply a tiny digital box on the dash top for the Micra, but Vauxhall, misunderstood the request, and fitted a huge additional speedo in the left corner of the screen. Later they realised they could incorporate this into the software of teh trip computer, giving a speed readout in the centre display. They did this initially for BSM, buying around 9000 vehicles a year, but offered it to any driving instructor buying new from a dealer. Their 'driving school' spec was good, with height adjustable seat, electric mirrors, etc., but with 5 steel wheels, all the same. Perhaps Citroen do something similar, or maybe a few bits to help.

Thanks for the info..

To be fair, I have no intention of using it etc. so I'll not be bothering the dealer was just the first time I'd seen an electrical system with specific provision for it.

A quick Google search on the phrase driving school module and Citroën suggests all supermini Citroëns have had it since 2009.

So our DS3 had it but I never went fishing in the fusebox on that...

After resisting 'progress' for 10+ years ..
I MIGHT be opening a Facebook account..
For access to 'Medical Support' forums.. or 'usergroups' as I believe they term them

Other than using a 'sacrificial' email account to minimise the endless junk..

Anybody got any useful advice..??

For access to 'Medical Support' forums.. or 'usergroups' as I believe they term them

Don’t get any emails from Facebook so not sure what that issue is, generally they prefer to keep all their span and junk on Facebook itself.

As for medical support forums I’d be very cautious, more likely to be the origin of all sorts of misinformation

Thanks.

Ive spent the weekend researching whats out there..

a US based research organisation

And a UK based one.. more awareness campaigns.. but some research

In the current climate thats basically as good as I will get.

Asked for a GP appointment...
Got a call from a centralised call centre stating my treatment wasnt getting a review.. This is what I have for life :eek:

Went over to my sisters last Sunday to see the nieces with the little-un.

Now of course she tested covid positive on Monday along with littlest niece.

Guidelines have at least changed so I'm not self-isolating for 14 days though to be fair my normal weekday life style resembles it anyway.

Been doing my lateral flows all have comeback negative so far, so good. You'd hope so to be fair given the fact I've had both free-range covid and both jabs but I understand that's not necessarily how it works.

More concerned about little-un if anything as our free-range covid was over a year ago and he was playing with smallest niece. He couldn't be tested at the time as rapid tests weren't available. I'm 99% sure he had it at the time, first of all I either caught it off him or my wife...and he was breast feeding at the time so even if he didn't have it directly he would have had covid antibodies. He seems fine in himself, no temperature.

No crowded indoor spaces for me for a bit I think, at least it's outdoor weather this weekend..so think we'll be going somewhere large and outside and keeping ourselves to ourselves.

Had to stick some new wipers on the C3, cleaned the window in low sun the other day and was basically blind for 200 yds.

They had also started squeaking from time to time which I cannot stand and were smearing just enough for the auto wipers to detect their last stroke hadn't cleared the screen and trigger another stroke...and another and another...even on a dry day with a small squirt of screen wash.

Cleaned the screen and blades but no improvement. Been a Bosch Aerotwin man for years but this is the 3rd set that haven't lasted very well (13 months old) and they didn't perform well new either. Think they struggled to follow the curve of the window leaving a patch at the bottom of the drivers side that never cleared consistently also noisy probably due to uneven pressure.

Anywho my usual supplier didn't have them so on with Michelin Radius beams though was already thinking about trying something else. Put them on smearing has stopped and they clean whole sweep properly...win.

Did the rear while I was on...not sure why to be honest but it is the 4 year old factory original.

Been a Bosch Aerotwin man for years but this is the 3rd set that haven't lasted very well (13 months old) and they didn't perform well new either. Think they struggled to follow the curve of the window leaving a patch at the bottom of the drivers side that never cleared consistently also noisy probably due to uneven pressure.

Anywho my usual supplier didn't have them so on with Michelin Radius beams though was already thinking about trying something else. Put them on smearing has stopped and they clean whole sweep properly...win.

Did the rear while I was on...not sure why to be honest but it is the 4 year old factory original.

My experience of wipers is that Bosch and Valeo are brilliant, but only when they are fresh. Old stock is usually already hardening before fitment, so don't work properly and don't last long. Being expensive compared with some others, means that they sell more slowly, creating old stock.

I get mine from online suppliers, where stock seems always to be fresh. Either of these, depending on which is cheapr at the time.
https://www.wiperblades.co.uk/?gcli...jOOMxlIrTQmhvh66EZNR6kGGOBGFVstY5tBoC5Gbw_wcB
https://www.windscreenwipers.co.uk/

I get mine from online suppliers, where stock seems always to be fresh. Either of these, depending on which is cheapr at the time.
https://www.wiperblades.co.uk/?gcli...jOOMxlIrTQmhvh66EZNR6kGGOBGFVstY5tBoC5Gbw_wcB
https://www.windscreenwipers.co.uk/

I always use wiperblades.co.uk, literally half the price of Halfords for Bosch. But I just think the last 3 sets haven't really felt like new wipers. My memory of them is they were silent and smear free before but on both the Mazda and C3 the last sets have been pretty average.

With the autowipers any smearing is annoying, it gets into a feedback loop and rather than reacting to rain is just reacting to the smear the last sweep created.

See how the Michelins go, they don't review as well although that's mainly people don't like the lego adapters required for anything other hook arms. Took about 2 minutes of fiddling to convert them to push button..but you need to remove one piece and fit two others and the instructions are none-existent so can see why they aren't popular. If you have fists of ham it would be possible to destroy them fresh out of the box.

At the moment at least they feel like new wipers so a step over the last few sets.

When you mention Valeo..the rear came in a Michelin branded box, on the actual wiper it's a Valeo. Fronts are branded with a Michelin logo. Suspect the rear is one of those parts is used on so many different European cars that there's one factory churning them out by the thousand. First time I saw one it was on a 307...in 2001.

Doing my good Samaritan bit today. I was sweeping up the leaves and generally tidying my front garden when I noticed a woman with 2 kids standing looking at the O/S/F wheel of her Ford Fiesta sitting at the kerbside at the end of our road. A second look confirmed the tyre was flat and the woman was getting her phone out, so I asked if I could help.

Luckily the car had a steel full size spare - and it wasn't flat either! We had a bit of a hunt for the locking wheel nut key, she had no idea either what it looked like or where it was, but luckily it was inside a bag which also contained some sweets in the glovebox - so that didn't hold us up for long. Rather alarmingly one of the wheel nuts was actually loose and could be spun off with my fingers with another just "snugged up" and no more. At least two of them were reasonably tight. Wee bit of a struggle getting a jack under it with the tyre being flat but after that it was all plain sailing and before long it was back on the ground and ready to go.

What was highly disturbing though was the condition of the flat tyre. From the wrinkled condition of the sidewall it had obviously been run flat for a distance - she did say the steering had been pulling to one side as she drove into our estate! - the sidewall damage alone would condemn it to the scrap heap but even more disturbing was the condition of the inner shoulder which was worn clean through the steel cords and actually exhibited a small hole right through the entire casing - which was the cause of the deflation of course. There were wee bits of wire sticking out all round the inner shoulder and I had to mind my fingers as I was handling it. Looking more closely at the tyre the tread depth was around 2mm across the width with the inner most groove slightly less at maybe 1mm then massive wear on the inner shoulder. Looking at the N/S/F tyre confirmed it to be wearing in the same way with the inner shoulder bald of tread pattern but not quite through to the cords yet. At the very least this would indicate the toe may be out but I'm betting there's actually a problem with suspension bushes, ball joints or track rod ends. Anyway I've recommended she get it checked over at the same time as buying the new tyre and probably best to get one for the N/S at the same time as it's verging on being illegal right now.

One of the children was a boy, probably around 8, maybe 10 years old, a pleasant child who was very interested in what I was doing and was "helping" by holding the wheel nuts and locking key etc. Quite reminded me of my grandson. Unfortunately, unbeknownst to me, he put the locking wheel nut key in my tote tray as I was putting the flat wheel back in the boot and I didn't notice until after they'd driven away and I was putting the tools back in my tool chest. I know they live not too far away as it was mentioned as we chatted, but I don't have an actual address. No doubt there'll be a knock at the door when the garage tells them they can't find the key!

Personally, I would advise against Facebook. Although handy for many things, it has one extremely bad side. That’s just my thoughts. I have never looked at Facebook or any other similar site in my life, and I never will.

Unfortunately, unbeknownst to me, he put the locking wheel nut key in my tote tray as I was putting the flat wheel back in the boot and I didn't notice until after they'd driven away and I was putting the tools back in my tool chest. I know they live not too far away as it was mentioned as we chatted, but I don't have an actual address. No doubt there'll be a knock at the door when the garage tells them they can't find the key!

Locking wheel nut key situation all resolved! Yesterday, while I was changing the wheel, I discovered they don't have a regular local garage so I recommended a couple she could try knowing they'd not rip her off. I rang them (the garages) this morning to say that if she turned up then I've got the locking key but they'd had no contact yet. Then I thought I remembered her speaking of a street name just down the road from us so I set off to look for the car - easy to spot with it's 3 alloys and one steel on the O/S/F. Within the hour I'd found it and owner and key were reunited. Shortly after I returned home I got a call to say she'd gone round by Kenny's garage on the way home and left the ruined tyre with them. They are going to get a new tyre fitted and then tomorrow she's to take the car in when they'll check it all over and rectify whatever is wrong. Result!

Personally, I would advise against Facebook. Although handy for many things, it has one extremely bad side. That’s just my thoughts. I have never looked at Facebook or any other similar site in my life, and I never will.

Well.. for what I wanted it for..

focussed Forum use it has been great

But.. there are 'extra content' items thrown in periodically

And some particularly 'knuckledragger' comments and exchanges.

The 'cookies' side of it is particularly
'Sobering'

I signed up with a dondescript username and email

It suggested 15 pics of 'users I might know'

Alfa Club Serbia... seems a little targetted :eek:

Then I realised I have actually MET one of the other 14 at a car meet..!!

Shes probably wondering why '@davidblunkett' is into italian cars ;)

Farcebook is a mess.
It is very intrusive, and difficult to control. I needed an account a few years ago to access a dedicated page for AA driving instructors, and have used it for a few things, occasionally, but it bites back.

There's a personal setup page, which is difficult to follow, where you set your preferences, for who sees what, or who gets notified, etc. Difficult to understand which way the toggle switches go, so I'm sure I may allow access when I think it is denied. Only way to see what others see of your page, is to access it from someone else's account. What you see of you, is not the same as what others see of you.

Then any page is just that, a page, of neverending crap. Many use it as a forum, which is not good at. You see a post, then later wish to look at it again, but everything just adds to teh list, in some sort of order, and the post you saw has shuffled down the page, maybe lost forever.

There is a help section, but very difficult to access. You need to get to the bottom of the page to access the menu of such things, and this is impossible. As you get to the bottom of any page, it automatically adds the previous stuff, and will keep going until you reach the bottom, which may be never.

Then you get 'friend' requests, sometimes from people you know, sometimes not. It also recommends people you may know, and sometimes you will wonder how it makes a link. It has harvested your email data. Everyone on your contacts list, and even others that may have only swapped emails with once pop up as potential 'friends' If you've received an email that had been sent to multiple recipients, it will have grabbed all the names from that, and every one with a Farcebook account will be recommended to you, plus their 'friends'.
I have managed to turn off notifications from my own page, so receive only those from a couple of selected ones. Success, but sadly, no idea how I did it.
A long time ago, I bought some fitted carpet mats for the Panda. Then the seller sent me a request to give feedback, but only way was via Farcebook. Clicking the 'Like' button, sent all my contacts a message trying to sell them mats for a Panda. Never hit a like button since.

My page should show a message advising people to not use it as a contact point. No idea if that is still visible. As notifications are off, I'll not know if people try to contact me that way.

My advice, use it only if it is the only way to access what you need.

Isn't it just! Has a bit of the feel of the Cupra Forum visually. I'm trying to figure out if I'm required to do something about "I paid! change me!"
My Guess is, since you are a paid up member, you can go in to your profile and have something witty or descriptive under your name, like StevenRB45 does,

I'm trying to figure out if I'm required to do something about "I paid! change me!"
You can click it and it will take you to your profile, where you can set it to something else 😊 (only people who donated can change, so thank you!)

Back