What's made you not grumpy but not smile either today?

Currently reading:
What's made you not grumpy but not smile either today?

I was this () close to finishing the counter shaft for the 90 year old lathe today. I took the original counter shaft apart and cleaned it up to see what other work was necessary. Three small counter sinks for set screws. No problem. But wait, two more grease ports? Crud. My 2.5" deep bore through the center of the shaft is now going to be 5" deep. Couple of problems here. The lathe is in pieces and the only drill I have that is long enough to do the job of larger in OD than the original bore, so I need to make changes on the run.

Clamped the shaft in a vise with plastic jaws, chucked the drill in the 20V Dewalt, and went to town. Changed the battery once and sharpened the drill twice but I got the depth I needed. My original plan was to use grease zerks with a 1/4-28 thread on each end of the shaft instead of the original grease cups because one cup is gone. To get the depth, I had to use a 17/64 drill. Not the end of the world as I have a handful of M8x1 zerks fittings available. 17/64 is a good tap drill size for M8x1.25, 9/32 will work for the M8x1.

I have everything ready for the threading operation. I dig through my taps and I have M6x1, M7x1, M9x1 and M10x1. No M8x1. Phfft! Ordered two HS M8x1 taps from Amzon for delivery tomorrow and cleaned up my mess.

Those two extra grease ports? Both were plugged with fossilized grease. That explains the strange wear on the shaft.

Hover the mouse over the letters and it showns you:

reply.jpg

Another Yellow Triangle of Doom story. I noticed the triangle today in Ruby our 2014 Panda Lounge. I declutched turned off and restarted. Yes I think. its gone. A few minutes later its back. Parked the car and did my stuff in towm, jumped back in and started up. Its off. As I backed out of the parking space its on again. Light bulb I think. SO I pull back switch off and check all the lights. Alll good. Get in start up and its gone aagin. Back out of the parking space and it comes on again. I did the declutch switch off and restart as Im rolling along and it goes off. I decide to look at the cars computer menu and touch the set button to activate it, Low and behold a warning message scrolls across the dash screen. Check stop lights.

Well after getting home and using a spade to depress the brake pedal it is indeed a brake light out. Full marks to Fiat for making bulb changing a big pain in the rear end. Two ten mm bolts that require an extension bar on the 1/4 drive socket then a tug of war to get the rear light out, and just 5 small philips screws as well as a difficult wiring connector to shift to get at the bulb. Try that on a wet night in the dark by the side of the road. What a faff. at least its just a bulb. Im still working my way through the ones I kept from company cars before they went for recycling..... So no cost. Its a long time since I had to change a bulb. Ive been retired 9 years and I still have a pile of the freebie bulbs left.

PS Anyone with a company car want a blown brake lihght bulb....

Last edited:
Ok. Took me a wee while to find that and I realize I know what the smilies are ha ha! But how does it help me remember stuff that someone has previously posted?
You must remember what I put in italics, I INSIST! lol.

Another Yellow Triangle of Doom story. I noticed the triangle today in Ruby our 2014 Panda Lounge. I declutched turned off and restarted. Yes I think. its gone. A few minutes later its back. Parked the car and did my stuff in towm, jumped back in and started up. Its off. As I backed out of the parking space its on again. Light bulb I think. SO I pull back switch off and check all the lights. Alll good. Get in start up and its gone aagin. Back out of the parking space and it comes on again. I did the declutch switch off and restart as Im rolling along and it goes off. I decide to look at the cars computer menu and touch the set button to activate it, Low and behold a warning message scrolls across the dash screen. Check stop lights.

Well after getting home and using a spade to depress the brake pedal it is indeed a brake light out. Full marks to Fiat for making bulb changing a big pain in the rear end. Two ten mm bolts that require an extension bar on the 1/4 drive socket then a tug of war to get the rear light out, and just 5 small philips screws as well as a difficult wiring connector to shift to get at the bulb. Try that on a wet night in the dark by the side of the road. What a faff. at least its just a bulb. Im still working my way through the ones I kept from company cars before they went for recycling..... So no cost. Its a long time since I had to change a bulb. Ive been retired 9 years and I still have a pile of the freebie bulbs left.

PS Anyone with a company car want a blown brake lihght bulb....

This sounds suspiciously similarly to the "tower" lights on the mk1 Punto.

In that car they specifically supplied a plastic extension for the securing bolts which was designed to be used with the interchangeable Phillips/flathead screwdriver that also came in the tool kit pushed through it for leverage.

Given that cars electrical system was a bit erratic it blew bulbs at least monthly, I still have a few spares knocking around 🤣 I also had the job down to about 2 minutes in the dark.

As much I I dont care about the middle east and their fighting (stupidity beyond understanding in my view), I can't quite figure out why the UK sent fighter jets to defend Israel.

Israel did wipe out the Iranian embassy, it's not something any country would take lightly, never mind an enemy.

And jumping from another thread here, the whole middle east is the red hats and the blue hats in the cat history of red dwarf.

Yesterday, we had a mouse running around the study. Cat had obviously brought it in and lost it. Placed a box trap.
Then later, there was one running around the lounge. Is it the same one found its way downstairs? Traps already set around the room, as this is a regular occurrence. The joy of sharing one's home with a cat.
Went to bed, cat was on guard on the landing, staring into the study.
This morning, cat sick to clean up in the kitchen, with mouse bits in it. Cat was on way out at the time, so hopefully that was the one from upstairs.
Mouse sitting in trap in lounge, so released outside while cat not looking.
Hopefully a result. No movements/noises in study yet today.

I have a Karchar gas engined power washer. It spends a lot of time sitting idle in the garage, taking up space.
The engine is a Tecumseh. I don't know if I've ever been a fan of those engines but here we are. I pulled the carb off of it this morning to de-gunk it. What a pain in the butt to get that little poop off the engine. If it had been a Briggs and Stratton or a Honda, it would be remove the air cleaner and maybe a linkage assembly and you'd be done. I honestly do not think that the fuel system engineer, the exhaust system engineer, nor the air cooling engineer at Tecumseh even knew each other. So much crap had to be removed to get access to the carb.
On the other hand, the carb is pretty easy to deal with, even if it has a plastic main jet. It took me longer to get the carb off and back on this engine than it did to tear down the carb, clean it, and put it back together.
I still have to change the oil and hopefully it's back to running like it should.

I have a Karchar gas engined power washer. It spends a lot of time sitting idle in the garage, taking up space.
The engine is a Tecumseh. I don't know if I've ever been a fan of those engines but here we are. I pulled the carb off of it this morning to de-gunk it. What a pain in the butt to get that little poop off the engine. If it had been a Briggs and Stratton or a Honda, it would be remove the air cleaner and maybe a linkage assembly and you'd be done. I honestly do not think that the fuel system engineer, the exhaust system engineer, nor the air cooling engineer at Tecumseh even knew each other. So much crap had to be removed to get access to the carb.
On the other hand, the carb is pretty easy to deal with, even if it has a plastic main jet. It took me longer to get the carb off and back on this engine than it did to tear down the carb, clean it, and put it back together.
I still have to change the oil and hopefully it's back to running like it should.
Sounds like my comments on Kia. Product is good but odd

Well, the end of an era is approaching my former employer.

Before the place became a flaming dumpster fire of a corporate cesspit, it was a pretty good place to work. Jason and I did the bulk of the field service for the US and Mexico. I also ran the shop. There were flaws; our inventory control system was ancient and next to useless, the service staff always ended up with 'hand me down' sales staff vehicles, and there was no training. Something new came along and we had to figure it out on our own. The sales staff saw it new, we saw it after it broke down. We muddled through.

After going corporate, the service staff was promised the moon and we got green cheese. Our boss had his legs cut off and had no say in what happened. MBA's with no clue about how railroad worked were calling the shots. My department, Field Service, which was once a job with great benefits and had a sense of camaraderie, has become a revolving door. We've had more service guys come and go in the last six years than we did in the previous forty.

I retired at 65, for six weeks, and was begged to come back as an 'Advisor'. That morphed back into wrenching and I said "Hell no" and put a stop to that at the end of last year. On Tuesday, Jason had had enough of the corporate BS and tendered his resignation, effective May 10. That was followed by Big Al, who was our GM at the 'Mom and Pop' we had been. He turned in his notice to retire effective in August. Old Weird Harold, who was my boss for almost 27 years, has decided to do the same. I've been on Harold to do that for the last two years, before the shills forced him to. Well, he got forced.

I figure the four of us can sit back with a bowl of popcorn and watch it all burn while laughing our asses off.

Yesterday I had the 'opportunity' to experience an MG ZS for the afternoon. (The SUV, like a Nissan Qashqai) Not impressed.
After over 120 years of car manufacturing, it should not be possible to make a bad car, but Tesla tried very hard to do so, with build quality that 1970s British Leyland would scorn. But the MG is rather more subtle.
Inside, it looks good, and the seats are comfortable, but the trouble starts when you try to adjust them. They were electric, with the standard controls on the seat side, but there was a delay. Pushing the control back, nothing happened. First reaction was to let go, and recheck which one we were supposd to push. Push and hold, and after a momentary pause, the seat moved.
Seat adjusted, time to start the engine. (At least a proper engine, not electric) Clutch down, felt strangely vague. Engine started, select 1st gear, oh! The gearshift is odd. Lots of travel, in all directions, with hardly any feel of what it might be doing. But despite the long travel, it felt like it hadn't quite gone far enough to engage the gear properly. The remaining five felt similar. Reverse was more difficult, with strangely little movement of the lever, giving the feeling it was nowhere near engaging, which one out of every two attempts, it wasn't. Clutch pedal feel was also a bit vague, leading to less than smooth moving away, until more used to it, but always hard work.
Steering, no feel, but the car did seem to go where pointed, although neither of us were trying hard, so the vehicle dynamics were not tested. The wheel moved, the car changed direction, without feeling any real connection between the two. There did seem to be a physical steering column, so presumably connected to the rack.
Once moving, it did accelerate adequately to make progress, and stay with traffic. It did need lots of gas pedal movement to achieve though.
Now we need to stop. Oh dear. Push the brake pedal, gently, nothing. Push a little more, definitely moving the pedal, still no braking effort. Add a little more, ah! feel something, a little more resistance, the brake pads have at last started to squeeze the discs, but retardation is still a wish rather than reality. Add more pressure, and suddenly, it bites. Incredibly difficult to achieve a smooth slowing down. This will encourage drivers to arrive too fast at everything, then brake late, as the opnly way to master the car. This increases the risk of the one behind hitting you.
Overall, very hard work to drive. This car is a great incentive to reduce one's carbon emissions, by just not going anywhere.
Then we needed to adjust the ventilation system. A strange mix of a few buttons and a touchscreen. Not very intuitive, and just not quite like any other car. Instead of simple logic, it needed careful thought, not good when moving. What looked like the touchscreen controls for an auto climate system, was just a manual system, so all settings needed to be adjusted by the driver, or passenger. Selections change from white to green. White is not selected, green is selected. Although the white is brighter, and more prominent.
Radio comes on every time the car is started. This gets irritating. There does not appear to be an 'off' option. Pressing mute, only available on the steering wheel, every time gets tedious, so we just reduced the volume to zero. The button for this seems to need to be pressed repeatedly, rather than just hold.
There's a reversing camera, but it gets dirty within a few hundred yards, so is of little use. Taking it out of reverse, the screen changes to the front view. There's a camera in the front grille. Why? We have a glass windscreen. I suppose it should stop you hitting a small child, or other object below the bonnet line, but the screen is very distracting, and in a car park, with spaces ahead and behind, a little confusing.
After just 3 hours, very glad to give it back. hopefully won't get another any time soon.

Not impressed. After over 120 years of car manufacturing, it should not be possible to make a bad car,
you have to consider that MG as a company ceased to exist in 2005 and was packed up and shipped off to china. The engineering history, expertise and 'talent' was all gone. The company was reduced to nothing more than a name and the cars they put that name on now are nothing more than very cheap nasty Chinese tat with the current cars having little or no rust protection, with no pride in the product or car or consideration given to the "product", all they care about is making something that goes forward and backward as cheaply as possible..... maybe you can control that forward or backward movement but in many cases in the news recently there have been a fair few incidents of MGs accelerating on their own.

Well, the end of an era is approaching my former employer.

Before the place became a flaming dumpster fire of a corporate cesspit, it was a pretty good place to work. Jason and I did the bulk of the field service for the US and Mexico. I also ran the shop. There were flaws; our inventory control system was ancient and next to useless, the service staff always ended up with 'hand me down' sales staff vehicles, and there was no training. Something new came along and we had to figure it out on our own. The sales staff saw it new, we saw it after it broke down. We muddled through.

After going corporate, the service staff was promised the moon and we got green cheese. Our boss had his legs cut off and had no say in what happened. MBA's with no clue about how railroad worked were calling the shots. My department, Field Service, which was once a job with great benefits and had a sense of camaraderie, has become a revolving door. We've had more service guys come and go in the last six years than we did in the previous forty.

I retired at 65, for six weeks, and was begged to come back as an 'Advisor'. That morphed back into wrenching and I said "Hell no" and put a stop to that at the end of last year. On Tuesday, Jason had had enough of the corporate BS and tendered his resignation, effective May 10. That was followed by Big Al, who was our GM at the 'Mom and Pop' we had been. He turned in his notice to retire effective in August. Old Weird Harold, who was my boss for almost 27 years, has decided to do the same. I've been on Harold to do that for the last two years, before the shills forced him to. Well, he got forced.

I figure the four of us can sit back with a bowl of popcorn and watch it all burn while laughing our asses off.
Pretty sad really. Some of this corporare rubbish really used to p me off. My kids have lots of it in their work so it seems its universal. When its corporate takeover it seems that incumbent employees might as well just leave like your team have. The remainder will sink or swim. I cant ses its good business though.

Back