What's made you not grumpy but not smile either today?

Currently reading:
What's made you not grumpy but not smile either today?

They both have the random bargain isle in the middle of the shop, they both used to have some really good bargains but this has been eroded by the cost of living.

My main complaint with these shops if the complete lack of any customer service (which is part of the model) and they literally throw the shopping at you as they are measured on the speed they get customers through to reduce the number of staff needed.
It's a different mindset needed. The bargain buys are very good as long as you realize they are not "professional" quality. I've not had much off the centre isles at Aldi because they've only recently opened a branch handily near us but Lidl have been around for years and I've had quite a few Parkside branded items. The only one that's been a disappointment was an 18 volt drill which I used rather brutally during my son's flat renovation - It's gearbox broke up within a few days. I took it back and they gave me another which also packed in before the job was done. They swapped that one too but the job was done by then using my Ryobi 18 volt similar drill which is a considerably more robust and expensive tool. The 3rd Lidl drill is with my boy who uses it to do light DIY tasks and I think it's fine for that. If something fails within warranty they are very good at just giving you another but outside warranty? So I look on them as "throw away" but possibly fixable if you persevere and get inventive when they fail.

The checkouts are absolutely all about speed. Take a look at their bar codes and you'll find they are on every surface of the item so they usually don't need to worry about orientating the item to get a read on the code bar, makes checkout much quicker. You also need to understand that filling bags at the tills - like at other supermarkets - mucks up their whole checkout system. you need to load stuff willy nilly into your trolley as quickly as you can and then pay up. Next wheel the trolley to the shelf by the tills and load your baskets from the trolley in your own time. Customer service? well, there aren't many staff and those there are will be very busy loading shelves but I've always found them very courteous and will take time to direct you to where something is or even pop through to the back shop to see if something is there but not yet on the shelf. I've no complaints.

It's a different mindset needed. The bargain buys are very good as long as you realize they are not "professional" quality. I've not had much off the centre isles at Aldi because they've only recently opened a branch handily near us but Lidl have been around for years and I've had quite a few Parkside branded items. The only one that's been a disappointment was an 18 volt drill which I used rather brutally during my son's flat renovation - It's gearbox broke up within a few days. I took it back and they gave me another which also packed in before the job was done. They swapped that one too but the job was done by then using my Ryobi 18 volt similar drill which is a considerably more robust and expensive tool. The 3rd Lidl drill is with my boy who uses it to do light DIY tasks and I think it's fine for that. If something fails within warranty they are very good at just giving you another but outside warranty? So I look on them as "throw away" but possibly fixable if you persevere and get inventive when they fail.

The checkouts are absolutely all about speed. Take a look at their bar codes and you'll find they are on every surface of the item so they usually don't need to worry about orientating the item to get a read on the code bar, makes checkout much quicker. You also need to understand that filling bags at the tills - like at other supermarkets - mucks up their whole checkout system. you need to load stuff willy nilly into your trolley as quickly as you can and then pay up. Next wheel the trolley to the shelf by the tills and load your baskets from the trolley in your own time. Customer service? well, there aren't many staff and those there are will be very busy loading shelves but I've always found them very courteous and will take time to direct you to where something is or even pop through to the back shop to see if something is there but not yet on the shelf. I've no complaints.
They do have some genuine bargains don't get me wrong, we've only got an Aldi near by which is quite small so they don't tend to get the full compliment of stuff they advertise, but they get a lot of things. At the moment it's less about tools and more about baby stuff which can be quite disappointing when you get there and realize that either something is crap compared to its pictures or something that seems like a good deal can be bought cheaper in M&S like some sleep sacks recently. (though the M&S ones where on sale)

I've always found the tools to meet my needs, I have a Makita drill and impact driver and sander, but a wood router and bench, some air tools and other bits have all come from Aldi and stood the test of time though I do tend to look after tools pretty well.
My brother has used Aldi tools in his business where he builds campervans and its no surprise that an air powered sheet metal nibbler, doesn't last long against the thick metal used in most modern van panels (cutting out holes to fit windows)
A couple of years back Lidl also did there own range of smart lighting, it was really REALLY good and way way cheaper than anything else on the market at the time, I have not found anyone else to make such good smart lighting for the price of Lidl to the extent that I would travel out of my way to get it. But since then they haven't repeated that range sadly.

I get the reasons behind throwing the shopping at you. Its all to keep cost down. To be honest I never really want a conversation with anyone at the checkout anyway so am happy for them to throw the stuff at me so I can get gone, Really I do Like Aldi and Lidl, but equally I like M&S and Waitrose as well, they all have their up sides.

I get the reasons behind throwing the shopping at you. Its all to keep cost down. To be honest I never really want a conversation with anyone at the checkout anyway so am happy for them to throw the stuff at me so I can get gone, Really I do Like Aldi and Lidl, but equally I like M&S and Waitrose as well, they all have their up sides.

Wife used to work in Lidl Benwell for her sins while at university.

Some cracking stories but one of the things they have is an items per minute target if they don't throw the shopping they won't hit it.

Wife used to work in Lidl Benwell for her sins while at university.

Some cracking stories but one of the things they have is an items per minute target if they don't throw the shopping they won't hit it.
In some instances a target is a good idea but if a few more people, and that includes the entire tory party and particiularly the conservative government and theoir indoctrinees, understood what target means it might help in when to apply or more appropriately NOT apply them! I ahve a target to punch conservative MPs its a good thing I know this is one that should NOT be applied.

I've always had a downer on this poncey shop. Even the name annoys me for some reotson and imo most of the goods are no better than Aldi.
Nothing wrong with the shop.... or the products. The prices on the other had are plain outraggeous in many , many instances. Mrs noticed an astronomical variation in the same brand of Proseco where they were £3 more than Sainsburys and £9 more than Aldi. I hope the gift card was for at least £30 or you may leave empty handed, Moral is shop around and hit the greedy ones in the wallet.

In some instances a target is a good idea but if a few more people, and that includes the entire tory party and particiularly the conservative government and theoir indoctrinees, understood what target means it might help in when to apply or more appropriately NOT apply them! I ahve a target to punch conservative MPs its a good thing I know this is one that should NOT be applied.
I wouldn't necessarily demonise them on the basis this was in 2009.

The hourly rate she started on was north of 10 quid an hour and got as high as 12 by the time she left.

Tesco pays that in 2023....but at the time you'd be lucky to be slightly above minimum wage.

Setting targets has to be done very carefully in my opinion. about half my working life has involved trying to meet targets and the problem is your salary is often linked to these targets so you spend all your time making sure the targets are met to the exclusion, if necessary, of all else. I think kindly, benign but frequent supervision with appropriate positive encouragement is a far better approach.

Setting targets has to be done very carefully in my opinion. about half my working life has involved trying to meet targets and the problem is your salary is often linked to these targets so you spend all your time making sure the targets are met to the exclusion, if necessary, of all else. I think kindly, benign but frequent supervision with appropriate positive encouragement is a far better approach.
I did have a really good boss not so many years ago and he sat me down for a salary review and said it was suggested that I gave you targets. I have decided that giving you targets based on other peoples accidents and injuries is distasteful so I have increased your pay as I see right.... One of the best rises I ever had. He then added your job is to keep everyone safe and keep me out of court and I think your doing pretty well. Please keep it up. Unfortunatley he is not with us due to hear failure at a very young age. He was the only person for whom I ever worked who twice walked off leaving me with the urge to do more for him in every way could without the need for targets. Its a shame the approach as you suggest isnt more widely used. One day with luck the pendulum will reach there.

One of the last places I worked was bought over by a big american company. Before it was a small privately owned company with the owners in management. What was a great company with everyone from different areas pulling together as needed became a nasty hostile environment. All because the various departments (R&D, field services, production, accounting, sales, etc) all were managed by different departments in the US, and all with bonus heavily driven targets. Instant barriers were put up as no-one is going to risk losing money based on helping another depaetment. The pre-buy out was so much nicer with all hands to the pump and everyone sharing the gain.

We (R&D) got severely stung on year 1, because we had all the knowledge, done the technical presentations to customers, secured a really big order in the middle east by spending a lot of time on demo kit and trails. The company got a massive order, and we got penalised for not hitting R&D targets.

One of the last places I worked was bought over by a big american company. Before it was a small privately owned company with the owners in management. What was a great company with everyone from different areas pulling together as needed became a nasty hostile environment. All because the various departments (R&D, field services, production, accounting, sales, etc) all were managed by different departments in the US, and all with bonus heavily driven targets. Instant barriers were put up as no-one is going to risk losing money based on helping another depaetment. The pre-buy out was so much nicer with all hands to the pump and everyone sharing the gain.

We (R&D) got severely stung on year 1, because we had all the knowledge, done the technical presentations to customers, secured a really big order in the middle east by spending a lot of time on demo kit and trails. The company got a massive order, and we got penalised for not hitting R&D targets.
It ain't just the US, that's the corporate mindset. I work for a French owned outfit on this side of the pond. It's always been a privately held, family owned endeavor. The prior owner of the company was a great guy and made sure he knew everybody who worked for him. He knew his product and business. Didn't matter if you were a branch manager or a grease monkey in the shop, he'd come in the back and ask how you and your family were doing. His nephew took over when he retired and was pretty much the same way. He was also trying to bring us into the 21st century. He retired and the old guys' son took the reins. What a putz. The kid wanted nothing to do with running the company so he installed his cousin as CEO. She knows how to make money, I'll give her that. And she modernized. But she has forced out all the people in Europe who knew what they were doing and hired a bunch of clowns who wouldn't know a rail train from a screwdriver if it hit them.

She originally tried it to do it to us in the US but we didn't budge. The US is a totally different market for rail than Europe. We were a Sales and Service branch but she found a loop hole and decided to open a manufacturing plant in the US. And went corporate in the process. All but two of the administrative staff gave her the middle finger and left. Of the 36 people that ran things here prior to 2017, 9 of us are left. And I'm part time. They have hired 75 people to do what we used to do. From the relocation from a major industrial city to a South Carolina backwater, the hiring of the uneducated by the unqualified, followed by decisions made by the uninformed, I'm surprised we haven't gone tits up yet. I've never witnessed so much stupid in my life.

I used to call our old shop a 'dysfunctional family', but we were still a family. Now we're just dysfunctional.

Phew, rant over.

Been a cold week...car hasn't moved since a quick trip to the school down the road Monday afternoon.

Wife is due at work tonight... slightly worried it's not gonna start but nowhere to be so I'd be starting it to switch off and kick the battery some more.

Should be fine I'm sure...and at least her habit of "cruising" at 55 in 3rd gear should have the battery topped up.

I'd say I'd fit a change up light...but bless it..it's usually sitting there flashing an UP! Arrow and a 5...

Been a cold week...car hasn't moved since a quick trip to the school down the road Monday afternoon.

Wife is due at work tonight... slightly worried it's not gonna start but nowhere to be so I'd be starting it to switch off and kick the battery some more.

Should be fine I'm sure...and at least her habit of "cruising" at 55 in 3rd gear should have the battery topped up.

I'd say I'd fit a change up light...but bless it..it's usually sitting there flashing an UP! Arrow and a 5...
Oh Lordy, I'll swap you. Mine cruises around in top in the 20mph zones! you can just about count the individual power pulses! Then she wonders why it won't accelerate away when she pushes the pedal. Failing to change down on hills until it's nearly stalled is another speciality piece. Every time I look it over I pay special attention to the "dogbone".

Oh Lordy, I'll swap you. Mine cruises around in top in the 20mph zones! you can just about count the individual power pulses! Then she wonders why it won't accelerate away when she pushes the pedal. Failing to change down on hills until it's nearly stalled is another speciality piece. Every time I look it over I pay special attention to the "dogbone".
This would stop dead if you did that...it doesn't like 30 in 4th never mind 5th.

It's nowhere near as abusive as it sounds...it's only about 4k rpm at 60...and like a lot of 3 cylinder engines it gets smoother the faster you spin it and turbo holds the noise down.

Just makes me twitch as I pay the fuel bill and the difference between using all the gears supplied and only the 1st 3 is about 10mpg.

If anything it's setup to lug...peak torque is 1500...so cruising at 4k is just tossing money out the window it'll happily go up pretty much any hill at 2200. Probably the opposite of Becky I'd imagine!

This would stop dead if you did that...it doesn't like 30 in 4th never mind 5th.

It's nowhere near as abusive as it sounds...it's only about 4k rpm at 60...and like a lot of 3 cylinder engines it gets smoother the faster you spin it and turbo holds the noise down.

Just makes me twitch as I pay the fuel bill and the difference between using all the gears supplied and only the 1st 3 is about 10mpg.

If anything it's setup to lug...peak torque is 1500...so cruising at 4k is just tossing money out the window it'll happily go up pretty much any hill at 2200. Probably the opposite of Becky I'd imagine!
Sounds very like the power band on our Ibiza - 3 cyl, 1 litre, direct injection with turbo. Pulls quite like a diesel from quite low revs and nothing to be gained by reving it's nuts off. In fact fuel consumption is very good if you are gentle with the throttle but she absolutely gobbles the stuff if you drive her with a heavy right foot. On reflection, powerwise, it's quite like driving my old 1.9 tdi Cordoba only not quite so much torque.

It ain't just the US, that's the corporate mindset. I work for a French owned outfit on this side of the pond. It's always been a privately held, family owned endeavor. The prior owner of the company was a great guy and made sure he knew everybody who worked for him. He knew his product and business. Didn't matter if you were a branch manager or a grease monkey in the shop, he'd come in the back and ask how you and your family were doing. His nephew took over when he retired and was pretty much the same way. He was also trying to bring us into the 21st century. He retired and the old guys' son took the reins. What a putz. The kid wanted nothing to do with running the company so he installed his cousin as CEO. She knows how to make money, I'll give her that. And she modernized. But she has forced out all the people in Europe who knew what they were doing and hired a bunch of clowns who wouldn't know a rail train from a screwdriver if it hit them.

She originally tried it to do it to us in the US but we didn't budge. The US is a totally different market for rail than Europe. We were a Sales and Service branch but she found a loop hole and decided to open a manufacturing plant in the US. And went corporate in the process. All but two of the administrative staff gave her the middle finger and left. Of the 36 people that ran things here prior to 2017, 9 of us are left. And I'm part time. They have hired 75 people to do what we used to do. From the relocation from a major industrial city to a South Carolina backwater, the hiring of the uneducated by the unqualified, followed by decisions made by the uninformed, I'm surprised we haven't gone tits up yet. I've never witnessed so much stupid in my life.

I used to call our old shop a 'dysfunctional family', but we were still a family. Now we're just dysfunctional.

Phew, rant over.
Good rant. These types dont deserve to make money! As a health and safety man I got to meet the top brass of a few companies during my years at work. It was notable that often the message from teh horses mouth was VERY different to the message from a couple of levels down the food chain when certain individuals had added their "input"! In fairness the owners / really top people I met were mostly decent and sensible enough. They failed by not getting out and checking that what they wanted was what was being done.... which very often it wasn't. I didnt find telling tales was productive but was quite happy to answer any questions put directly and to give my opinion.

@Pugglt Auld Jock
your home town is in the news

It is getting pretty dire. Good thing a lot of the streets are 20mph limited now as it gives you a bit more thinking time to see a way through avoiding the holes. I'm also hanging back much more than ever from the car in front to give me a better view. I'm glad both the Panda and Ibiza are on quite high sidewall height tyres as it makes survival on all but the worst ones more likely. There are bits where you just can't avoid them all. The chap who previously owned the imported Honda Civic R type saloon I've previously talked about has now sold it and replaced it with a brand new Civic "R" type of British manufacture which runs on "thick rubber bands" - don't fancy his chances of surviving a pothole encounter.

I know, what I need is one of those old WW2 Humber staff cars with the baloon tyres!

Sounds very like the power band on our Ibiza - 3 cyl, 1 litre, direct injection with turbo. Pulls quite like a diesel from quite low revs and nothing to be gained by reving it's nuts off. In fact fuel consumption is very good if you are gentle with the throttle but she absolutely gobbles the stuff if you drive her with a heavy right foot. On reflection, powerwise, it's quite like driving my old 1.9 tdi Cordoba only not quite so much torque.
Indeed...my thoughts on ours having come from the 1.6 diesel version were it drove like a diesel..with the exception of the power continuing past 3k. The PSA 1.6 diesel was horrifically peaky thing the petrol has significantly broader power and torque bands despite giving similar headline figures.

In terms of bald figures the 1.2T in ours is down 2lbft on a 1.9tdi Ibiza (assuming it was the older 90bhp one) and 75kg lighter..so torque to weight is on my side as is bhp. All the more reason it makes me twitch while she's got it spinning at speeds it really doesn't need..

At least pot hole wise...it's got long travel suspension and ride height and balloon tyres due to "SUV" styling. Just as well really..last time I was passenger someone may have demonstrated that at 40 mph it'll take a large speed bump surprisingly well..it still has a sump and everything 🫥

The chap who previously owned the imported Honda Civic R type saloon I've previously talked about has now sold it and replaced it with a brand new Civic "R" type of British manufacture which runs on "thick rubber bands" - don't fancy his chances of surviving a pothole encounter.
A few years back my wife owned a London Olympics Special Edition Mini Cooper. This car had very low profile tires and very hard suspension combined with firm sporty seats.

Not long after she got it we went on a "Mini Run" from Bury St Edmunds in Suffolk cross country out to Southwold on the Suffolk Coast (well worth a Visit if you and Mrs Jock were ever to find yourself down this way)

Cross country meant cross country, about a dozen fords to cross, some near green-laning at points, Every bump felt like the road was directly connected to my spine and unfortunately being someone with lower back disc problems I was near crippled for several days after.

Outside of this the Mini was a really nice drive on normal roads and very good on the motorway, but terrible if there were any lumps or bumps. I have seen wheels shatter from big pot holes so probably best you're taking it slow.

In terms of bald figures the 1.2T in ours is down 2lbft on a 1.9tdi Ibiza (assuming it was the older 90bhp one) and 75kg lighter..so torque to weight is on my side as is bhp. All the more reason it makes me twitch while she's got it spinning at speeds it really doesn't need..
Yes the Cordoba - actually the yellow car "hiding" behind Felicity Fiat in my avatar picture - had the old, pre PD engine with a distributor type pump (electronically controlled). I think it was 90Hp as you say which makes it interesting to compare with the Ibiza which is also the 90Hp (actually 94Hp quoted I think?) In terms of outright acceleration the two feel very similar but the Cordoba was better at ultimate "pulling" which was noticeable with my trailer. In terms of driving the Ibiza feels much more agile and responsive handling wise, The Cordoba felt heavy and "reluctant" in comparison. Really the only thing I don't like about the Ibiza is the turbo lag when trying to pull away if you've been idling along in heavy traffic or perhaps let the revs drop to near idle revs when negotiating speed bumps. The Cordoba, although it was turbo'd too, pulled much better in that particular scenario. Other than that I prefer driving the Ibiza but I'm "terrified" by the complexity of the direct injection engine with it's coolant stabilized intercooler, twin circuit cooling system with two thermostats, and with separate belt driven and electric water pumps and so much more - for instance the new battery i had to get when on holiday last year which had to be coded to the car and cost over £200 at the dealer down in Devon! At least my version does not have a dual mass flywheel!

Back