What's made you grumpy today?

Currently reading:
What's made you grumpy today?

And with all the above I HOPE / BEG / REQUEST that the government sends a free full copy of the new highway code to every license holder. They have all the information required and can easily ensure only one copy is sent to a household where there is move than one licensed driver with a covering note to say/ensure that all drivers at that residence must read and understand!
I cant understand why there's not been some big radio or TV campaign on the changes. It's sort of sneaked out on the news rather than government telling us. And what happened to consulting the public on the changes needed, sounds like they were pushed through by greenies that occasionally go cycling in the city. Most drivers know some of what's being propsed is just dangerous.

Ironically, when in the city, the dangerous behaviour on the road is by cyclists and pedestrian, it's very rare to see cars or lorries being the problem - in glasgow or edinburgh anyway.

I cant understand why there's not been some big radio or TV campaign on the changes. It's sort of sneaked out on the news rather than government telling us. And what happened to consulting the public on the changes needed, sounds like they were pushed through by greenies that occasionally go cycling in the city. Most drivers know some of what's being propsed is just dangerous.

Ironically, when in the city, the dangerous behaviour on the road is by cyclists and pedestrian, it's very rare to see cars or lorries being the problem - in glasgow or edinburgh anyway.
There was a consultation on this. I think it was open to anybody, but was only publicised to those on the DVSA circulation list. This includes motoring organisations, some trade bodies, such as road haulage, etc., and of course driving instructor trade organisations. Many driving instructors are also on a direct email list, so I got one as soon as the consultation was launched. (Well over a year ago)

Just because there was a consultation, does not mean it will change anything. All the current criticisms were raised by the Driving Instructors Association, not just in writing, but in face-to-face meetings. The AA also made representations regarding the changes.

As you say, it appears that the pedestrians and cyclists are mostly at fault here, and now they have been given authority to continue their dangerous behaviour.

Old rules: Look before you leap

New Rules: Leap (because the other party is looking)

I would love to get into a room with those that agreed/sanctioned the new pedestrian rules in discussion here and have a meaningful discussions.

Meanwhile I spot a cunning cost reduction for councils / government.

At all roads / intersections with pedestrian "WALK/STOP" lights they can now scrap these as they are no longer required. To add to the stupidity, or is it incompetence, from what I have seen there is NO qualifying information about junctions / turnings etc. where other traffic controls are in place.

Now for a plus observation today which I encountered.

A group of 3 horses and two jacketed pedestrians joined a main road from the left. The clearly senior / experienced rider immediately took position about 2 or so feet to the left of the centre white line. The other two riders were well to the left with the two jacketed foot trailers equally spaced. Bloody obvious what the hazard ahead was. Bloody obvious what their formation was all about, etc. No problem. Banged my hazards on even though the car behind could see as well. Yes it cost me some 30+ seconds to wait for a clear space to go right over into the oncoming lane and then immediately put my lights on., with hazards whilst I crawled past. None of this is specifically written in the highway code but to me is common sense.

Sadly the stupid numpty drivers who don't give a "F" about others have now forced stupid and IMHO unsafe regs. on everyone else and worse still 90% will be ignorant or don't have a care and you and I, with all the best will in the world, will possibly slip up and then be gonged by some points happy "offical" driven by "we need to have x amount of tickets" issued this year/month to show the public/gov we are ........

There was a consultation on this. I think it was open to anybody, but was only publicised to those on the DVSA circulation list. This includes motoring organisations, some trade bodies, such as road haulage, etc., and of course driving instructor trade organisations. Many driving instructors are also on a direct email list, so I got one as soon as the consultation was launched. (Well over a year ago)

Just because there was a consultation, does not mean it will change anything. All the current criticisms were raised by the Driving Instructors Association, not just in writing, but in face-to-face meetings. The AA also made representations regarding the changes.

As you say, it appears that the pedestrians and cyclists are mostly at fault here, and now they have been given authority to continue their dangerous behaviour.
Makes me wonder if I got a letter to my address about 6 moves back, I did at one time in circa 2004 register to train to be a driving instructor so have a PDI number but only ever did the theory and never carried on, moved several times and never updated my address so this made me wonder if they still send mail to that old address

About 6 years ago I had an incident when I went to reclaim and close and old bank account and found someone had used the £10 in that account using a new card that had been mailed to the same old address to top up their phone, once the bank confirmed the network who had billed the account including the mobile number as a reference the bank then re-credited me my £10 back (as it was fraud) then the phone company cancelled the phone number of the account that had been used and barred that person from the network for life

Makes me wonder if I got a letter to my address about 6 moves back, I did at one time in circa 2004 register to train to be a driving instructor so have a PDI number but only ever did the theory and never carried on, moved several times and never updated my address so this made me wonder if they still send mail to that old address
Having passed the theory, there would have been a 2-year clock ticking, after which you'd have to wait two years, and start the whole process again. Likely the PDI number will still be valid, should you ever wish to go again, but they are unlikely to write to you.
Generally they only write when the dreaded standards check comes, or the reminder for the licence renewal, all else is by email. Notifications of consultations are always email, as are changes to rules, and procedures. So only letter to old address would be the 'termination' after the two years.

New Highway Code (not sure if I'm grumpy or not, close call, so I'll go grumpy)

Straight off anything that improves road safety is good.

I do have a real concern for giving way to a pedestrian lurking on a corner (as some do) and also those ready to cross.

So I approach a left turn off a more major estate/town road the there is a person lurking or dithering or getting ready to cross. So I slow to a stop only to get rear ended and shunted forward. Now if I had already put a little wheel lock on because I thought it was a lurker but stopped anyway then I'm now a shunted projectile about to / or will run over the pedestrian. Get the drift.

Of course we can all say you should have your wheels ahead and handbrake set, etc. It is just not really going to happen 100% of the time and I fear pedestrians are going to get injured or killed.

The old system where the car turning in had priority UNLESS the pedestrian was already in the road made sense. For years since we were kids we were all told to stop at the curb and check the coast is clear before proceeding. Two major points here with the old system.

1) the pedestrian is taking active action for their safety
2) when they do step out is will be with awareness and space so that any approaching vehicle wanting to turn left has time to slow down without stopping and control the traffic flow

With the new system I believe:

1) till all motorist understand and play by the rules the pedestrian is now at greater risk!
2) rear end shunts at any turn are not that un-common and many motorists are impatient and speeding. Now a car stopping on the road and because the motorist behind is not "scanning and observing" and expecting to carry etc. we have introduced a safety issue!
3) instead of reducing risk factors to improve safety I honestly believe these particular changes have made matter worse.

Will be interesting to see in 5 years time the stats of incidents of rear end shunts at left turns, resulting injury stats for pedestrians and drivers, etc.

I can not really see the safety logic and can only see pedestrian pressure groups not thinking clearly. With that said I do appreciate that with the old system they were often at risk and abuse due to prick motorist but I think they have now made matters worse and less safe.

AND NOW FOR REAL GRUMPY

We have news reports that many drivers are not aware of the new regulations. In fact there were many changes in the in the new highway code. So I went to the GOV site. The online system is *rap and if you want a legible download PDF or booklet you HAVE TO BUY IT!
New rules won't make a scrap of difference to the majority of road users anyway. They have trouble sticking to basics as it is. It's like that middle lane hogger rule they bought in, soon forgotten and Im only aware of one person getting a ticket.

New rules won't make a scrap of difference to the majority of road users anyway. They have trouble sticking to basics as it is. It's like that middle lane hogger rule they bought in, soon forgotten and Im only aware of one person getting a ticket.
Doesn't just apply to the middle lane, but all overtaking lanes.
Training a guy a while ago, we hit the motorway, got up to 70, then a few moments later, moved to lane 3. No traffic in lane 2, barely catching anyone in lane 1. His reason, didn't want a lane hogging ticket. Was a bit disappointed when I told him it applied out there too. Keep left except when overtaking. Diffcult concept for many,
Had to travel Swindon to Bristol on a bank holiday a few years ago, used mostly lane 1, travelling faster than lanes 2 & 3, with almost no traffic in it. It can be lonely in lane 1.

Training a guy a while ago, we hit the motorway, got up to 70, then a few moments later, moved to lane 3. No traffic in lane 2, barely catching anyone in lane 1. His reason, didn't want a lane hogging ticket. Was a bit disappointed when I told him it applied out there too. Keep left except when overtaking. Difficult concept for many,
Had to travel Swindon to Bristol on a bank holiday a few years ago, used mostly lane 1, travelling faster than lanes 2 & 3, with almost no traffic in it. It can be lonely in lane 1.
This makes me very grumpy.
I hate the middle lane hoggers with a passion, but this is on another level. He was aware of the law, but rather than comply and allow the motorway to flow freely as intended, he attempts to find a loophole and 'blocks' the entire motorway instead.

I hate the middle lane hoggers with a passion, but this is on another level. He was aware of the law, but rather than comply and allow the motorway to flow freely as intended, he attempts to find a loophole and 'blocks' the entire motorway instead.
Well I must admit I have a tactic that works sometimes with the middle lane hoggers and was spectacularly successful on one occasion.

I overtake, get a really safe distance in front indicate and drive/dive sharply to lane 1/ns. Often the hogger gets the message as I merrily cruise on unimpeded and drive away.

On one occasion I did this a police car saw what I did, assumed I was pissed off and pulled the hogger! 3 points I hope were dished out.

Well, that one got fixed that day, it is what I do. Just need to get around to all the others.

Training a guy a while ago, we hit the motorway, got up to 70, then a few moments later, moved to lane 3. No traffic in lane 2, barely catching anyone in lane 1. His reason, didn't want a lane hogging ticket. Was a bit disappointed when I told him it applied out there too. Keep left except when overtaking. Diffcult concept for many,
I like how it's annoyed people on the M6 to the extent that there's graffiti on the bridges/flyovers south of carlisle telling people to stop hogging the middle lane.

Yes, sorry, my mistake, middle lane hogger is an old term now, it is keep left unless overtaking, should have said that.
A stretch of motorway I regularly use has for the past five years at least been subject to roadworks making it into one of these 4 lane smart jobs.
Travelled up it the other day and I did about 15 miles in lane one, overtaking maybe 6 trucks in the process but always pulling in when the overtake was compete. The amount of cars just using lane 3 and 4 was unbelievable, lane two was fairly empty too, it drives me mad. Almost as bad as people not indicating, incorrect use of hazard lights and lack of lane discipline.
Think I better get myself on 'what's made you grumpy today' lol, oh, I am.

Last edited:
Well I must admit I have a tactic that works sometimes with the middle lane hoggers and was spectacularly successful on one occasion.

I overtake, get a really safe distance in front indicate and drive/dive sharply to lane 1/ns. Often the hogger gets the message as I merrily cruise on unimpeded and drive away.

On one occasion I did this a police car saw what I did, assumed I was pissed off and pulled the hogger! 3 points I hope were dished out.
Yep same here, and if its a nice clean car just happen to use your screenwashers just as you pass in front of him.... Well that's what a friend recommend

Last edited:
Yep same here, and if its a nice clean car just happen to mate use your screenwashers just as you pass in front of him.... Well that's what a friend recommend
At college(mid seventies) a friend installed an extra washer jet, reservoir and motor, filled with something coloured and smelly, aimed sideways. (Can't remember left or right now)

At college(mid seventies) a friend installed an extra washer jet, reservoir and motor, filled with something coloured and smelly, aimed sideways. (Can't remember left or right now)
Now that's one thing from the past that needs bringing back. Just thinking what liquid he did use, then again best not..

That could be legally tricky. Such an action may be taken as deliberately taking positive action to distract a driver.

Another tactic a friend did which was funny but I didn't approve of was his response to boy racers pulling up along side him at lights then revving their engine and looking across for a race. He got so pissed of with this on one occasion he pulled his handbrake firmly on revved to wind them up and then dropped the clutch while the lights were still red. Up went his bonnet in the attempted launch and the boy racer triggered prematurely and ejEculated :) himself across the junction (which was actually totally clear by all accounts).

That could be legally tricky. Such an action may be taken as deliberately taking positive action to distract a driver.

Another tactic a friend did which was funny but I didn't approve of was his response to boy racers pulling up along side him at lights then revving their engine and looking across for a race. He got so pissed of with this on one occasion he pulled his handbrake firmly on revved to wind them up and then dropped the clutch while the lights were still red. Up went his bonnet in the attempted launch and the boy racer triggered prematurely and ejEculated :) himself across the junction (which was actually totally clear by all accounts).
Was merely washing the windscreen so I can see nice and clearly, wouldn't want anything obstructing my view now would I officer?

Traffic light racing /Road racing now that's where you get into trouble, was a good old trick though I must admit using the handbrake.

Just leave the fools to get on with their day, I just get on with my (immaculate) driving.

Just leave the fools to get on with their day, I just get on with my (immaculate) driving.
Absolutely! I take pride in my driving, always have done and always will. Driving for me is not a convenient means of transport but an ever growing, learning, challenging ..... arena where I hope to excel. That said nobody is perfect so we all have ongoing challenges and skills to hone as daily/weekly/monthly/yearly road challenges and circumstances change.

This is a very personal anecdote which over the past few years has completely changed / bolstered my driving. In 2017 I had a detached retina and despite 8 surgical procedures I'm pretty much blind/severely limited in vision in my right eye. Left is better than 20:20 and monocular vision is perfectly legal for driving. In fact it pisses me off that drivers with binocular and 3D vision can not judge distances, gaps etc. as well a I can. Clearly the brain learns to adapt, do moving image calculations etc. That said I have had to change my driving. I've slowed down, am forced to scan with head rotation as opposed to eye flicks, etc. in fact I've learnt a completely new driving skills / regime of operation and I'm better for it! Previously I might a have been on occasion a little more cavalier in some circumstances but now "no way"!

I have always marvelled at how blind people (God bless them and I've worked with many especially programmers who could read and navigate computer dumps in braille better than I could with real sight) somehow manage to live/adapt/etc. in this complex world. Whilst my "one eye down" has no comparison to being totally blind it has awakened me to the fact that we are not special, not perfect, have everything to learn and master and relearn and master again. No doubt many others have similar experiences etc.

Absolutely! I take pride in my driving, always have done and always will. Driving for me is not a convenient means of transport but an ever growing, learning, challenging ..... arena where I hope to excel. That said nobody is perfect so we all have ongoing challenges and skills to hone as daily/weekly/monthly/yearly road challenges and circumstances change.

This is a very personal anecdote which over the past few years has completely changed / bolstered my driving. In 2017 I had a detached retina and despite 8 surgical procedures I'm pretty much blind/severely limited in vision in my right eye. Left is better than 20:20 and monocular vision is perfectly legal for driving. In fact it pisses me off that drivers with binocular and 3D vision can not judge distances, gaps etc. as well a I can. Clearly the brain learns to adapt, do moving image calculations etc. That said I have had to change my driving. I've slowed down, am forced to scan with head rotation as opposed to eye flicks, etc. in fact I've learnt a completely new driving skills / regime of operation and I'm better for it! Previously I might a have been on occasion a little more cavalier in some circumstances but now "no way"!

I have always marvelled at how blind people (God bless them and I've worked with many especially programmers who could read and navigate computer dumps in braille better than I could with real sight) somehow manage to live/adapt/etc. in this complex world. Whilst my "one eye down" has no comparison to being totally blind it has awakened me to the fact that we are not special, not perfect, have everything to learn and master and relearn and master again. No doubt many others have similar experiences etc.
As you say it's amazing how the human body adapts, well done for not giving up and adapting, a band we once supported had a completely blind drummer, lead on stage etc did THE best drum solo I've ever seen, heightened senses, it was unbelievable, blew me away.
Up until a couple of years ago I was doing about 60k miles a year, 50k for my job and the rest made up of my own car and motorbikes, it got tiresome, especially central London stuff but I've not lost the pleasure in driving, still fascinates me and as you say strive to adapt.
Is that a 130tc in your profile pic?
Keep up the good work👍🏼

Back