What's in a name

Currently reading:
What's in a name

http://www.itv.com/thismorning/life/childrens-names-discrimination-debate/

Would you judge a child differently if their name was Jayden or Chantelle, as opposed to Finley or Esme?

A new survey shows that up to a quarter of parents have been criticised for their children's name choice, with 3% being verbally attaked. This poses the question, "What's in a name?"

Journalist Katie Hopkins believes a name says a lot, going as far as not letting her children befriend kids with names of 'A certain class'. Anna May Mangan, on the other hand, is outraged by Katie's opinions and as a victim of discriminaton during childhood due to her name she thinks Katie's opinion are 'snotty' and 'old dashioned'. Watch the duo fight their corner in our debate, and find out the results of our viewer poll

22.JPG

Last edited:
I used to work with a guy whose wife was a primary school teacher. Each August she'd get the list of new pupils to start in September. Having just the names, she'd mark the list to identify various categories, e.g. those that would be disobedient and disruptive, shy, brainy, not very bright at all, bully, be bullied, etc. She was 90% right.

Our names are chosen by our parents, so reflect their ideas and attitudes at that time. At 5 years old, when first starting school, we are mostly a product of our parents, so the name does reflect who we are and how we will behave, hence my friend's ability to mark the list using just names.

As we get older, we are subjected to more outside influences, but we are able to control to a certain extent how they affect us. So our name is less of an indication. But we probably still are influenced by peoples' names at first meeting. I expect you can all think of a name that you would not call your child because of what it means to you. Yet at the same time you may be able to think of someone of that name who does not match the expected profile, and sadly, some that do.

I blame the parents.

Back