Styling What would you do?

Currently reading:
Styling What would you do?

ger

Established member
I got myself a mk2 silver sporting and want to make it abit sportier. Would you fit 17s, although I been advised not too as they slow car down etc or would you just lower it on the standard sporting wheels? The second option is what I am thinking at the mo as it wont affect the drive of the car much and the springs are much cheaper than wheels. also if I fitted 17s would I need to lower it any way?

the 17's shouldnt affect the sporting that much, if thats the 1.2 16v then itll be fine, my mates got a 1.2 16v with the abarth kit etc and he changed the abarth 15's to 17's and it looks MUCH better and hasnt slowed down much atall, still really nippy actually, and it doesnt look like it needs lowered with 17s on it.

The lowering on standard wheels might improve handling a bit though, and wont slow the car as much as bigger wheels would, but like I said the extra grunt the 16v has over say a 8v means you wont actually see that big of a difference.

OK thanks guys. A lad I know who had 17s on his sporting said it used alot more fuel but I dunno. I got a pipercross induction kit and get 43mpg on the short runs I do. Reason I ask is because I have seen some nice 17s for a reasonable price but I dont want to get them and then have a car that uses more fuel and is slow, mine is 1.2 16valve.

Theres no doubt that sticking bigger heavier wheels will make the mpg go down. But because yours is a 16v I doubt it will make too much of a difference, this goes for performance aswell.

Putting the 17s on with standard suspension will probably make the car handle worse. I know Sportings are a bit lower as standard anyway but the bigger wheels will lift the car off the ground more causing more roll or whatever.

Ive seen Sportings lowered on the standard 15s and they look great, but you cant beat bigger wheels to fill the arches :cool: But remember- lowering with harder/stiffer springs and the lower profile tyres on 17s is going to kill the ride quality!

Personally if i was to lower it 35mm i would use the standard shocks. The uprated shocks can make the ride firmer due to the reduction in suspension travel, but as Wolfrace says it will improve the handling. The originals on mk2s are quite good to begin with.

I had Jamex on my old Uno and they were quite good. Eibach are the best though.

Id say lower it on your standard alloys, putting 17s on with 205/40s actually adds about an inch to the ride height.

Yeah the thing is I want it to look nice but not affect the drive much. Looks like springs now with the standard sporting wheels. Anyone got pics of a sporting with a 35mm drop?

Back