General What size is your steering wheel?

Currently reading:
General What size is your steering wheel?

I know there are a million threads on steering wheels, as I've used the search, so sorry lol, but if you've got an aftermarket steering wheel, how big is it? I've looked on ebay etc, and they vary in size, whats the best size to go for?

Ive had a small 'sporting' steering wheel on a cinq. Think it was 13 inch..

In my opinoun.. the bigger the steering wheel the better.. More space to get more control in the bends..

At the mo, my cinq has got a seiciento steering set.. with the steering wheel with air bag ect.. Never had a better wheel that that tbh..

Last edited:
Tiny, think mine is only 10 inches (Might be wrong though) gonna change it as you feel every bump in the road to the detriment of the handling i think. May go back to a standard size one.

My cinq has a 300mm steering wheel I think, the Sei is a stock one at about 360mm I'm guessing and that's got no weight and little feel to it, it's even worse on my 14" rims :(

A friend has a 280mm on a Mk2 Sei which means the steering has a decent amount of weight to it with PAS but it does mean you can't see all of the instruments and lights properly.

Take a look at the catalogues and make templates of the sizes available out of cardboard. Sit in the car with the various sizes and see which suits your shoulder position.

Smaller will make the steering heavier, larger obviously lighter.

Also consider the grip size and the dish of the wheel if you want it closer to you.

If you like a style that doesn't have a deep enough dish then you can get spacers to move the wheel out.

Cheers

D

This one is the best ive ever had..

and still have mind you..

Attachments

• Image026.jpg
    Image026.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 56
Rugby ball wheel doesn't fit on the earlier column though.

True and a good point, if you are after a wheel like the rugby ball you must use the donor vehicles steering column also if a scrappy job, or purchase the column elsewhere if you just get the wheel

The rugby ball wheel is poor, its got horrible cheap leather, consequently has low grip and is too big and is ugly, moving to a good quality 350mm MOMO or equivalent wheel makes it so much better to drive. I couldn't wait to remove mine on my Cinq, and mine was a rare Cinq fitted with air bag. I had a beautiful Abarth steering wheel I bought from Italy which was brilliant.

My personal favourite at the moment is the re-released MOMO Prototipo wheel, very tempted in one for my integrale but have a rare MOMO Martini racing wheel on there now and seems a shame to remove it.

one of the things I love about my cinq sporting is its standard steering wheel, nice and small in comparison to similar cars of its age and beyond. It gives a good feel for the road IMO. Its always really cold in the winter though!!

I do like the suede aftermarket ones, but I am not really into modding interiors of cars as I think that it decreases the value. [dunno whether it does, or doesnt, thats just my opinion]

:)

I do like the suede aftermarket ones, but I am not really into modding interiors of cars as I think that it decreases the value. [dunno whether it does, or doesnt, thats just my opinion]

You could always keep the original safe and swap it back when you come to sell the car :) You should be able to sell the boss on fairly easily.

Back