General what oil would you reccomend for a hgt

Currently reading:
General what oil would you reccomend for a hgt

gpzo

hi all, one of my mates has just got a w plate hgt and wants to know what a good oil to use is and at what mileage would the cambelt need doing at?

belt I would also do at 40k, and again at 75-80k. It costs about £30 to do yourself, but I think you need to support engine as the newer puntos have a dodgy engine mount/cam belt loop thing going on.

oil just selena oil if you want the best. ANd don't just think any old oil will do it, after doing a term here at uni and a little on oil and interferance fits and all, its not just oil viscosity, but its materials, manufacturing technhique etc, not to mention all fiats from mid 90's (or earlier) have been designed on the stuff. Costs a bit but your engine will spin happier, I guerentee it!

dazzdog said:
When i had my hgt the blokes at fiats reccomended the selenia in the red can.

This is the Selenia 20k and your Fiat dealer for a change seems to know what he is talking about.

It is excellent oil. If you want to go further than that you also can take Selenia Racing.

For the previos post: This is a HGT with a variator, which you can't do for £30 unless the parts fell of the back of a lorry.

you mean like a balancer shaft kind of set up?

If variator isn't another word for a balancer shaft then what is it?

And you can do them yourselve, they are just a bore. AFAIK, they are not a required part of the engine, just help the belts AFAIK.

faster4_tec said:
you mean like a balancer shaft kind of set up?

If variator isn't another word for a balancer shaft then what is it?

And you can do them yourselve, they are just a bore. AFAIK, they are not a required part of the engine, just help the belts AFAIK.

The variator is the cam shaft variator and it needs doing because it is the cause for most blown HGT engines.

you mean like a VTEC type engine? or do you mean it just nudges the shafts to maintain some sort of fuel efficiancy?

You learn something new every day. and my knowledge of mk2's is basically that they have worse electrics than mk1s.

faster4_tec said:
you mean like a VTEC type engine? or do you mean it just nudges the shafts to maintain some sort of fuel efficiancy?

You learn something new every day. and my knowledge of mk2's is basically that they have worse electrics than mk1s.

Similar. But it is something you find for a long time in the Fiat group.

The brilliant Alfa 33 16v engine, which has got 4 cams, variable valve timing, two sets of lobes (not identical) and throttle bodies from factory.

Unfortunately Fiat took over when the prototype engines were running in the cars and downtuned the 1712cc engine from 170bhp to just over 132bhp.

Back