Technical What have i done?

Currently reading:
Technical What have i done?

Hi Guys
Help i`ve just lowered my cinque by 40mm with g-max springs and cobra shocks and the rear wheels rub like Fook:cry: ,My car runs 195/45/14 falken ze512`s with 38mm offset wheels with 12mm spacers,I can`t roll the arches as one side has had a major repair to the arch and inner lip,
Do those grayston spring assistors work?
Please help as my beautiful handling cinque is now vertually undrivable:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Cheers
Adrian

Adrian,

on the rear try removing the 12mm spacers and fit the standard 3mm spacers from the front wheels, this will give you an off set of 35mm which means the outside face of the wheel will be in exactly the same place as a standard 5 1/2J 30mm offset wheel, that is if they are 6J wide. I run an off-set of 35mm on my Compomotive MO's which are 6J.

Run the front ones as they are with the 12mm spacers only.

HTH,

Aaron.

Last edited:
Yeah no worries mate.

the whole off-set thing can be confusing at times, but as a thumb rule the standard Cinq sporting wheel is 5 1/2J 13" 30.5mm off-set (although a 3mm spacer is fitted up front so in effect at the front the off-set is 27.5mm) so if going to a 6J wheel if you have an off-set of 35mm then all off the extra 1/2" of width is distributed to the inside of the wheel, and therefore out side edge is in same position, no arch rubbing but of course this may lead to fouling up front, i know i get slight fouling on the track rod end on one wheel when on lock.

Having an off-set of 25mm means that the extra width is distributed to the outside of the wheel so no problems with fouling up front, so a good compromise is to retain the standard offset of 30mm.

I know that I am thinking on running 6mm spacers up front, and then retaining the 3mm spacer on the rear to in effect give an offset of 29mm at the front and 32mm at the rear.

Aaron.

Hi Aaron
My offset is 38mm would a 6mm spacer be better?Also are my 12mm spacers o.k on the front?They don`t rub at the moment but i havent lowered the front yet because i was so pissed off that the rear was rubbing

Cheers
Adrian

Last edited:
Luke1985 said:
:( Hope mine dont rub when i lower 40mm sunday (with 185/50/14) - though they are sei abarth ones so offset shouldnt have changed should it? :confused:

Sei Abarth wheels are off-set 36mm and therefore you should have fitted the bigger spacers as fitted as standard to Abarths (along with a nut and stud conversion) to correct the off-set, otherwise your car has got a decreaed track and therefore probably likely to have poorer handling as the Cinq track is narrow enough as it is, and benefits from increasing.

Aaron.

AIJ29 said:
Hi Aaron
My offset is 38mm would a 6mm spacer be better?
Cheers
Adrian

I would try the 3mm first (did your car not have them up front when you got it?) as these can be fitted with standard bolts as a 35mm 6J wheel with 195/45 rubber actualy looks pretty good from behind as the they do fill the arches well, plus is the cheapest option.

Then if you feel that you can get away witha 6mm spacer then fit those and you will probably be able to sell the 12mm spacers that you have as people are always looking for them.

Aaron.

Hi Aaron
I sold the 3mm spacers when i sold my sporting wheels,my problem is i have a stud and nut conversion aswell but the wheelnuts might take up the thread?
Cheers
Adrian
p.s is 12mm o.k for the front?

AIJ29 said:
Hi Aaron
I sold the 3mm spacers when i sold my sporting wheels,my problem is i have a stud and nut conversion aswell but the wheelnuts might take up the thread?
Cheers
Adrian
p.s is 12mm o.k for the front?

Ah right, sold them, shouldn't be a problem picking them up at a scrap yard for pennies.

Yeah the 12mm on the front is cool, i was running 30mm spacers the5 1/2J 14" Punto GT wheels and they are 46mm offset, so i was running an offset of 16mm and had no problems up front, and only minor scrubbing at the rear when cornering hard or with 4 up (that was painful) and my car has Eibach springs. most cars have inhernatly wider track up fornt that the rear, the integrale is about 10mm each side, lets the car corner harder.

Aaron.

J333EVO said:
Sei Abarth wheels are off-set 36mm and therefore you should have fitted the bigger spacers as fitted as standard to Abarths (along with a nut and stud conversion) to correct the off-set, otherwise your car has got a decreaed track and therefore probably likely to have poorer handling as the Cinq track is narrow enough as it is, and benefits from increasing.

Aaron.

Crap :( 10mm spacers it looks like then (n)
Why would the stud conversion make any difference??

The stud conversion just makes putting on the wheels a lot easier plus using spacers means you loose the little locating pin fitted as standard.

Liam

Luke1985 said:
Crap :( 10mm spacers it looks like then (n)
Why would the stud conversion make any difference??

you wont need 10mm ones mate... just 6mm to bring the offset back down to 30 as the sei abarth wheels are 5.5" wide like the standard cinq wheels. (y)

but thinkin about it now, ive never come across 6mm hubcentric ones, so might be better in the long run to get 10mm hubcentric ones a little wider track wont hurt!

my OZ ones scrubbed when i had 185/50/14 tyres, but they were at a 31mm offset and i have the -60mm g-max springs.

J333EVO said:
Yeah no worries mate.

the whole off-set thing can be confusing at times, but as a thumb rule the standard Cinq sporting wheel is 5 1/2J 13" 30.5mm off-set (although a 3mm spacer is fitted up front so in effect at the front the off-set is 27.5mm) so if going to a 6J wheel if you have an off-set of 35mm then all off the extra 1/2" of width is distributed to the inside of the wheel, and therefore out side edge is in same position, no arch rubbing but of course this may lead to fouling up front, i know i get slight fouling on the track rod end on one wheel when on lock.

Having an off-set of 25mm means that the extra width is distributed to the outside of the wheel so no problems with fouling up front, so a good compromise is to retain the standard offset of 30mm.

I know that I am thinking on running 6mm spacers up front, and then retaining the 3mm spacer on the rear to in effect give an offset of 29mm at the front and 32mm at the rear.

Aaron.

wow i now get the offset rule! Good explanation (y)

Back