Technical Weighing Things Up

Currently reading:
Technical Weighing Things Up

AudiDynamic85

Ive had a 02 Dynamic Stilo for the last 5 years,

Since i've had the car the dash has been like a christmas light (engine management light/airbag failure and asr, loose connection), because the car drives i've never really worried about it or sought to repair (stupidity or bravery i kno not)
In recent months the car has been cutting out and restarting almost immediately, more recently it takes two 3 times, that or i have to leave it for a while, im not mechanically minded and ive read through countless threads about possible faults (ecu, loose connections, battery, alternator etc) but me testing the nodes etc is impossible.

As the car is a non starter im considering options to sell as non starter/ or break, i want to attempt getting a repair but dont want to spend cash when its BER. Since the car wont crank over ive also had a new error light (car security)

Is there any straighforward ways of determining the fault cus RAC recommended car who recovered couldnt even get a read to locate fault code...What should i be doing or thinking at this point.

Any advise would be well recieved...may get a Varta battery to get some juice cus even on charge it does hold power, which may be due to alternator.

Maybe i should risk about £200 to attempt a repair!!!

In recent months the car has been cutting out and restarting almost immediately, more recently it takes two 3 times, that or i have to leave it for a while

From the above,you may have a simple problem of your rpm sensor gap is a little too wide. If it's just a little too far then the ECU cant determine where the piston position is and doesn't know when to fire a spark so it doesn't

Do a search on rpm sensor,
rpm sensor.JPG
If it's a 1.2, 1.4 or 1.6 engine then you have one of the external types next to the crank pulley so they're easy to get at

Last edited:
In recent months the car has been cutting out and restarting almost immediately, more recently it takes two 3 times, that or i have to leave it for a while

From the above,you may have a simple problem of your rpm sensor gap is a little too wide. If it's just a little too far then the ECU cant determine where the piston position is and doesn't know when to fire a spark so it doesn't

Do a search on rpm sensor,
View attachment 85872
If it's a 1.2, 1.4 or 1.6 engine then you have one of the external types next to the crank pulley so they're easy to get at

Thanks for getting back Deckchair, i will look at your recommendation today

The car is parked up got into it today, to try and start it, when the key is engaged there is an audible 'clicking sounding' from engine, before losing hope im going to take it to Fiat to see if they can diagnose the fault, would they still charge me if they didnt find the fault....anyone know of a roaming fiat mechanic in the West Midlands...one was recommended in Birmingham but dont fancy towing it so far.

to try and start it, when the key is engaged there is an audible 'clicking sounding' from engine,

Sounds like your battery is nearly flat. Disconnect it, charge it up, check out the rpm sensor gap and adjust it and try again

Garages charge from the moment you give them the key and they don't give the key back until you give them your credit card. It's not a charity shop. Technicians have a high rolling lifestyle to maintain

Last edited:
Thanks for getting back Deckchair, i will look at your recommendation today

The car is parked up got into it today, to try and start it, when the key is engaged there is an audible 'clicking sounding' from engine, before losing hope im going to take it to Fiat to see if they can diagnose the fault, would they still charge me if they didnt find the fault....anyone know of a roaming fiat mechanic in the West Midlands...one was recommended in Birmingham but dont fancy towing it so far.

Well i would certainly bung in a new powerful battery before you even do anything else because as you are aware stilo's are very battery dependant. The clicking is almost certain to be the starter as there is no power in the battery!!!!
2nd point, Get yourself one of the cables from ebay and download Yani's software so you can remove the stored faults and go from there.

These are 2 very simple things you can do yourself for starters and you have saved £100 to start with.

Then once you know what faults codes are there you can start to put things right with the car and also make yourself feel better.:D

Well i would certainly bung in a new powerful battery before you even do anything else because as you are aware stilo's are very battery dependant. The clicking is almost certain to be the starter as there is no power in the battery!!!!
2nd point, Get yourself one of the cables from ebay and download Yani's software so you can remove the stored faults and go from there.

These are 2 very simple things you can do yourself for starters and you have saved £100 to start with.

Then once you know what faults codes are there you can start to put things right with the car and also make yourself feel better.:D

Thanks for the advise, first thing is first new battery (havent changed it since 05 :bang:), i may look into the DIY fault testing at a later date (bit of a technophobe lol)

I located a local fiat approved garage who will diagnose at £50 inc vat, Guest Willenhall in the West Midlands (would attempt reading the code myself...but fear a FAIL) Im more worried about changing the battery myself.

Should i risk getting a premium battery/any recommendations for premium battery costs (budget is 60-70)

Back