Technical Difference between Paraflu 11 and Paraflu UP, ordered UP and got 11. jtd 115

Currently reading:
Technical Difference between Paraflu 11 and Paraflu UP, ordered UP and got 11. jtd 115

ruispeed3d

Hey guys,

Ordered the other day a couple of bottles of Antifreeze Paraflu UP for my stilo jtd 115.

But the shop got the order messed up and sent me two bottles of Paraflu 11 and i was left wondering if they are both compatible for my car.

The approvals are almost the same, both having the FIAT 9.55523 and CUNA NC 956-16 approvals but this one is blue while the UP is red, which is the one i have on my car currently.

Any of you guys know the difference between them and if they are compatible for the jtd?

Rui Louro

Last edited:
One is blue and one is red. :D

Red/Pink is the new technology goo. It contains "Organic Acid Technology" (OAT) mixed with a bit of ethylene glycol and it lasts longer than the old blue stuff.... 5 years vs 2.

Older cars were designed for blue (more or less just Ethylene glycol, I believe) which evaporates out eventually, hence it lasts only c. 2 years before it stops doing its overheat/corrosion protection.

If your car was built for blue, it *may* (or "should") be able to take pink instead... but some cars have systems that get attacked by the OAT, so you shouldn't put OAT in just anything.

If your car has pink already, then it'll be okay with more pink. I think pink is the one to go for.

You can usually mix pink and blue (they don't often react together).. but *some* blue will react with *some* pink to form a sludge. Even if they don't react, mixing blue and pink looks like someone vomitted in your expansion tank.. so it's best to drain the old one, flush it, then fill with the new one.

Don't get the coolant anywhere near your mouth, when you're splashing it around or pressurising your system by sucking/blowing on the pipes - it's the most toxic thing on your car - better to drink engine oil than that stuff. Also don't tip it down the drain, since it'll kill anything that drinks it (which might be you, depending on how your water treatment plant works). Flush it down the toilet if you don't have a waste disposal site, so that it gets treated/broken down with the sewage before it gets pumped out into the environment.

Ralf S.

Last edited:
Thank you once again, Ralf. :worship:

That makes a lot of sense and yeah when i bought the car, it came with the red stuff(wich is more like pink tbh) and i've been using paraflu UP ever since. Actually the car's manual also specifies the UP to be used in my car so i'm comfortable on that matter.

I was just wondering if the blue would also be a safe choice. I already resolved it with the shop and they replaced the bottles on the spot...so i got the UP all set to be used.

You warned me a little bit too late mate :D:D The first time i changed that fluid, don't remember how but a small drop of that stuff splashed right inside my mouth:bang:...and it was awfull...probably the most bitter taste i've had in my mouth. Had to wash my mouth right after with water to get it out..fortunately it was just a small drop:confused:

Curious enough i heard to some animals it might actually taste sweet, that's why they always warn us to not dump it out on the streets. Regarding fluids i always dispose of them the correct way, unlike many mechanics i've seen :mad:

Thanks again,

Rui Louro

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like if someone can just confirm that there is no need to change the "Paraflu Up", but just top up if needed. In my Panda 2016 1.2 69HP there is nothing about replacing the coolant.

I would like if someone can just confirm that there is no need to change the "Paraflu Up", but just top up if needed. In my Panda 2016 1.2 69HP there is nothing about replacing the coolant.
The anti-corrosion properties deteriorate over time. Topping up will not replenish this enough, so after about 5 years, your engine will start to dissolve inside. The radiator will get blocked, and very heavy as a result. Change it at 5 years.

You can usually mix pink and blue (they don't often react together).. but *some* blue will react with *some* pink to form a sludge. Even if they don't react, mixing blue and pink looks like someone vomitted in your expansion tank.. so it's best to drain the old one, flush it, then fill with the new one.

Don't get the coolant anywhere near your mouth, when you're splashing it around or pressurising your system by sucking/blowing on the pipes - it's the most toxic thing on your car - better to drink engine oil than that stuff. Also don't tip it down the drain, since it'll kill anything that drinks it (which might be you, depending on how your water treatment plant works). Flush it down the toilet if you don't have a waste disposal site, so that it gets treated/broken down with the sewage before it gets pumped out into the environment.

Ralf S.
If pink and blue are mixed, the change interval should be still at 2 years. Early on, some reacted together and became gel. Shouldn't be a problem now, but not worth the risk.

When disposed of, the coolant decomposes quite readily, but while doing so has a very high oxygen demand. In a river, or other waterway, it takes all the oxygen, so everything else dies. Many roadside drains lead to soakaways, or other surface waterways. The sewer, (down the toilet) will normally go to a sewage treatment works, where all the sewage is treated. In most treatment works, the process is anaerobic, meaning it works in an oxygen-free or very low oxygen environment. Our coolant can actually help this, as it takes any available oxygen for itself, although most water companies will tell you to dispose of it 'properly', without telling you what that is.
Garages now collect it in tanks and it gets collected, for a fee, and recycled and properly disposed of. My local refuse tip does not have such a facility. They do however have a large waste oil tank. Waste oil has been recycled for years, and the processes used are designed to separate the oil from other contaminants, of which coolant is a popular one, so coolant added to that should not be a problem. (Especially if mixed and not declared)

Back