Technical Weak 1.8 16v performance numbers

Currently reading:
Technical Weak 1.8 16v performance numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.
TNT, what's your point on the throttle blip thingy?

FIAT Stilo Sport. Pretty Much Bog Standard Really. Rear Roof Spoiler,
Sill Protectors, Aluminium Foot Pedals, Eibach 30mm Drop Springs.

Yes, I realised that. I bet it's a bugger if it goes wrong too!

Engine in Alfa 156 1.8 is quite different than engine in stilo 1.8.
Alfa is much better on the high rpm, and stilo is opposite.
I was dissapointed too but alfa is alfa, and is much more expensive and therefore I bought stilo.

but engine is not the only thing in alfa that is better. :)

I vote for alfa!!!
Originally posted by PureTNT
Just read the topic...
I know the design dates back to the Bravo/Brava, but the Bravo was always regarded as a pretty fast car. Anyway, the engines may have been designed in the early 90´s, but the fact remains that the Alfa, using the same engine, beats the crap out of my Stilo with supposedly only 7 HP more. I suspect it´s all in the exhaust.

The drive-by-wire takes about 1/2 a second to react. I´ll check with my dealer whether there is a fix available... In regard to Alfa 1.8, I agree, the car does perform better, but the Stilo attains its power at 6400 rpm, it SHOULD be able to pull in the higher rev range. Like I said: I suspect the exhaust. Different heads can´t affect a car that much in this performance category. And the T. Spark system would probably just add to the "smoothness" of the entire combustion process. I don´t see the high-end supercars use the twin spark technology and they´re fast as hell. Anyway, I checked an old Automobilismo magazine I dug out. The 147 1.6 TS with 105 HP at 5600 rpm squeezed out 108 HP at 5810 rpm, it attained 191,7 km/h (factory: 185 km/h) and accelerated 0-100 km/h in 10.0 secs. (factory 11.3 secs.). Weight: 1200 kg.

Then, we compare the Bravo 1.6 16v. 105.3 HP @ 5930 rpm (factory: 103 HP @ 5750 rpm).

0-100: 10.96 (factory: 11.0)
Top speed: 187.6 (factory 184 km/h)
weight: 1050 kg

I would think that FIAT restricts their cars somehow - They just don´t perform the same as an Alfa Romeo with almost equal horsepower. Now I´m not going to pursue this issue any further, since my next car will be a diesel anyway, but it doesn´t hurt to know why our cars perform the way they do.

TNT, if you find a fix for the throttle delay, please post it on here!

Secondly, if you do find a way to unleash that extra power, ie: by changing the exhaust, chipping or something, please do let us know.

Thanks.

i dont think theres anything up with the performance on the 1.8 stilo.
Mines is a 3 door and at max power thrash at crail last year i raced a saxo vts and totally molicated the poor guy. He was gutted, far as i know, the saxo vts has 130bhp and would be considerably lighter than the stilo.

there is still a lot of torque even after 100mph you can still put the boot down and feel it pulling away.

its a stunning car and you cant take what it says in a magazine for gospel, make up your own mind on the matter.

Saxo VTS 120bhp, 0-60 7.8secs, nope your 1.8 Stilo would have lost of they boy had actually been racing you! :p

2003 3 Door Stilo 1.2 Active, Sassy Grey, 5 disc CD Changer, Abarth boot badge, plastic wheel trims - and 42.4mpg average so far. Love it, Oh yes!

totaly true considering the fact that 1.8 stilo goes up to 100km/h for slightly less than 10secs.
preety bad driver i suppose.

FIAT STILO 1.6 3dR Tiziano Red
Sub=Pioneer TS WX20LPA
AUTOMOBILE SK

I owned a VTS for 2 years and they are not as quick as the figures would suggest. On the road you really had to work the engine in every gear to wring the most out of it... most of the time you needed to be above 5500 rpm which is not a restfull style of driving.

As regards the 1.8 a lot of the "lack" of performance comes down to the fact that the engine uses the older form of chip in the ECU which is not programmable and therefor not tunable. The only way around this is to put in a new ECU which would make your BHP gain cost about £100/hp....hardly cost effective.I would suggest Alfa use a more modern ECU in their 1.8 engined cars.

The Stilo is not a hot hatch. It is at it`s best cruising on the highway where the extra torque helps it pull away at 100mph and the extra Bhp allows you to attain a higher top speed.

1.8 5 Door in Sassi Grey
Comfort Pack 1

I had a VTS for 3 years, it saw off many a car! If you ragged it, it was mega quick! If you didn't it was mearly very good! Plus driving the VTS at 70mph in 5th was about 4000rpm but smooth with it, if not as quiet as most other cars at 3000rpm. However there was no need to drop a gear to overtake at normal speeds!

2003 3 Door Stilo 1.2 Active, Sassy Grey, 5 disc CD Changer, Abarth boot badge, plastic wheel trims - and 42.4mpg average so far. Love it, Oh yes!

pugwash and i would suggest that ALFA do not install 1.8engines anymore ... and thats for the last year at least.

FIAT STILO 1.6 3dR Tiziano Red
Sub=Pioneer TS WX20LPA
AUTOMOBILE SK

Originally posted by PureTNT
Furthermore, I got creamed by a stock Fiat Uno Turbo from a standstill and I couldn´t overtake him on a highway. With 23 HP more, that shouldn´t have happened.
I don't know how to answer you about the Alfa 147 with the same engine. Are you sure it wasn't the 2.0 Selespeed?

As for the Uno Turbo, never mess with those, they will let you embarrassed all the way. The Uno weights about 1050Kg and has a Turbo.
I used to have a 130HP Punto GT and it was lightning fast (7.9 0-100) incredible more than my current 170HP Abarth (8.5 so they say). I guess the Abarth will only become stronger than the GT at speeds above 160Km/h. But when you reach those speeds, the GT is long time gone.

Don't mess with Turbos ...they always let us embarrassed.

Too bad Fiat doesn't have a Stilo Turbo.
I wouldn't be surprised if Fiat decides to release a Diesel version of the Abarth with the 175HP MJet 2.4, but that's still not what I'm looking for.

Michael

Originally posted by twincamms
janejv, 103bhp from a 1.6 is crap, bloody hell FORD were getting 130bhp from a 1.6 XR3 twenty years ago! [:0]
Nope. That wasn't the XR3, that was the 1.6 RS with a Turbo!

Michael

Originally posted by janevj
know what you think TC but those engines are just like hondas ... too damn (dont know the expression in english ... means too little but too powerfull) and too thirsty also cant be driven for a longer period ...remember the bloody UNO TURBO RACING ... it had 1.4l engine and i dont know exactly ... think about 120bhp and 800kilos ... its a pure killing machine ... you should be CRAZY to more than 160kmh with a 800kg car.A friend of mine went 240kmh with it and he nearly killed himself ... a mans blow is turning the car off the road and i dont want to talk about any wind.
The Uno weight was about 1000Kg and the Punto GT almost 1100Kg. They were both heavier than their regular counter parts.
And although noisy, the Punto was rock solid at 200Km/h. You could let your hands off the steering wheel with no hassle, no fear, no nothing. The cas was safe even under heavy breaking.

Besides missing the accelaration power of the Punto GT, there is another thing that bothers me. I think we don't feel the speed in our Stilo.
It happens many times with me, I'm already flying without feeling it. And I only understand the speed I'm going when I got into traffic and notice they are all going a lot slower.

There's no fun in speed anyway. Acceleration power, that's what I like.

Michael

Mikas, are you disputing what most are saying then?

Do you think a 1.6 Stilo is quick?

I must try a 1.6 Stilo, i think the 1.2 is quick! And thats in comparison with one of my previous cars the VTS!

Live life a little, get a Fiat, pick a Stilo, watch it fail, book it into a arsehole dealership, having no repairs carried out, get an ulcer, suffer depression, get a baseball bat, get f**kin even!!!

Let me make a point here, my Stilo is losening up a bit, it seems to be getting slightly quicker, it feels like it accelerates a little better of late.

Once I've had my first service I'm going to get it chipped and whack a K & N in and see if things improve! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back