Technical Weak 1.8 16v performance numbers

Currently reading:
Technical Weak 1.8 16v performance numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, no cats back then.
You know how to improve your feelings about your car? Stop trying to race them and use them for transport. :p

Les Ross
Certified by a Professional.
03 Stilo 5d JTD80 Active
PSI Powerbox and go-faster turtle.

You know how to improve your feelings about your car? Stop trying to race them and use them for transport.

Then why do you own a Powerbox? [8D]
Anyway, I DO use my car for transportation, but when it does come down to some gas pedal action occasinally, I want to be able to haul ass. Now don´t get me wrong, I realize that my Stilo isn´t meant to be a race car, but when you pay for over 130 HP you expect to feel 130 HP. And if weight is such a problem, why not install a shorter-ratio 6-speed gearbox? The 1.2 had it, why can´t the fastest manual Stilo have it?

Well spotted TNT, yeah, why do you have a powerbox no racer Lester?

FIAT Stilo Sport. Pretty Much Bog Standard Really. Rear Roof Spoiler,
Sill Protectors, Aluminium Foot Pedals, Eibach 30mm Drop Springs.

know what you think TC but those engines are just like hondas ... too damn (dont know the expression in english ... means too little but too powerfull) and too thirsty also cant be driven for a longer period ...remember the bloody UNO TURBO RACING ... it had 1.4l engine and i dont know exactly ... think about 120bhp and 800kilos ... its a pure killing machine ... you should be CRAZY to more than 160kmh with a 800kg car.A friend of mine went 240kmh with it and he nearly killed himself ... a mans blow is turning the car off the road and i dont want to talk about any wind.

FIAT STILO 1.6 3dR Tiziano Red
Sub=Pioneer TS WX20LPA
AUTOMOBILE SK

Not sure how much power the 6-speed box could take. Obviously the new 95bhp 1.4 isn't too much for it, but 133bhp might be too much!

2003 3 Door Stilo 1.2 Active, Sassy Grey, 5 disc CD Changer, Abarth boot badge, plastic wheel trims - and 42.4mpg average so far. Love it, Oh yes!

I would like a 6 speed box in mine:D 3rd is a dissapointing gear, second is the weapon of choice, and 4th and 5th are pretty good really.

Changing from 2nd to 3rd gives a noticed drop in acceleration, but then changing up to 4th doesn't seem to give much change in urgency if follow me?

I find the best way to rag it is to hold onto the revs a little past where the power tails of in 2nd and change to 4th a little early, this honestly gets you up to speed quicker. I reckon to gear where 3rd now is could address this, and make my car notably quicker, anyone else found this?

That is if you can follow at all what I am saying:D

Stilo TURBO!!!!(diesel)

Originally posted by twincamms
Well spotted TNT, yeah, why do you have a powerbox no racer Lester?
2 reasons. 80HP? the same as the 1.2 :p
Torque. I'm a cruiser. [8D]

Les Ross
03 Stilo 5d JTD80 Active

Yeah right!

You're just like the rest of us, in need of a little more speed!

;)

I don't race other cars either, i'm either in front, or i'm behind! :p I'm not usually bothered if someone passes me (they must be in a hurry) and i don't mind passing (but only if my tea is on the table) :p

2003 3 Door Stilo 1.2 Active, Sassy Grey, 5 disc CD Changer, Abarth boot badge, plastic wheel trims - and 42.4mpg average so far. Love it, Oh yes!

You don´t race other cars? Commendable. ;) IMO the Stilo is geared too low for highway cruising, so I usually just keep the pedal all the way down, it´s doing high revs no matter how I drive it. :D A stronger 6-speed transmission from the 1.2 would have done a great job in the 1.8 IMO; faster acceleration, higher top speed and better fuel economy. Why FIAT chose not to do it is beyond me.

I was talking about the 1.6 boy racers, not you PureTNT. :p
The power of your car does seem a bit iffy.
Revs? 2500rpm at 70mph suits me. :D

Les Ross
03 Stilo 5d JTD80 Active

James I found my 3rd as secret weapon ... do i miss something ... TC what do you think since you have the same engine as i do.the second is good but i think that 3rd suits me the most.ive never used 4th and 5th in racing cause i do city races often and i dont know how smart is it to do over 130kmh in cities.
TC about the gears??

FIAT STILO 1.6 3dR Tiziano Red
Sub=Pioneer TS WX20LPA
AUTOMOBILE SK

Must say, I don't think the 1.6 in the Stilo feels any quicker at all than my old 1.4 Brava (80 BHP If I remember right). I think the Stilo puts out the BHP at too high a rev range so you need to be screwing it about with the engine squealing to get the power delivery - something I tend not to do TBH. I just think the horse power in the engine is unusable. You really want an engine with low down torque - the stilo is all high end.

It is not a quick car and I think the combination of the weight and the higher end torque range do it a disservice. Max BHP is (bhp/rpm) 103/5750 and max torque is (lb ft/rpm) 107/4000. So to get the 0-60 in 10.9 you need to work the engine and I'm not one for attracting attention while driving down the street |).

Oh well there's my 2 pennies worth!

Cheers all
cmc

1.6 Dynmamic 5 door.

Originally posted by Lester Piglet
I was talking about the 1.6 boy racers, not you PureTNT. :p
The power of your car does seem a bit iffy.
Revs? 2500rpm at 70mph suits me.

Who would they be then?

Anyway, I don't race and it's not about racing, the point I was making is that I like to make steady progress, the 1.6 is sluggish, and TNT says so is his 1.8, we all can't be wrong!

I agree with TC. Also, I noticed that my car starts pulling like a freight train after 5500 rpm in first. Probably has to do something with the variable cam, as it jerks the car forward. However, it´s only apparent in first gear and it doesn´t really do anything on the highway. I´d also say that 2nd gear is the best when it comes to sheer acceleration and 3rd is just too spaced out. Now mind you, the car does accelerate up to 185 km/h at 6750 rpm in fourth quite evenly, but after I put it into 5th, it takes a while to reach 200 km/h, not to mention 210 or even (on cold, dry days) 215 km/h. My father´s A6 2.8 with 193 HP pulls evenly up to 245 and then takes a bit longer to get to 255, but my Stilo just feels like it´s lacking in the higher rev range. I still believe that the emissions are to blame. FIAT probably just slapped on the minorly improved 1.6 and 1.8 engines and then, realizing it wouldn´t make it through EURO 4, just slapped on the tightest exhaust imaginable. It would really be interesting to hear from someone who installed the exhaust how the car feels.

I find my 1.2 is more revvy after 3000rpm, below that its mearly acceptable, over that its quite a shock, such a small capacity going got glory the way it does! :)

Happily that translates to nice cruising at 70mph at 2750rpm but i can drop to 5th and whip the car up to 80+ quite respectably! :I

Yeah, I drove a 1.2 5dr loaner to Italy a good year ago. The car really did go well, thanks to the 6-speed. I never tried to top it out, but I did see 180 km/h at one time.

Anyway, everyone in this topic, I have an experiment regarding the e-throttle for you:

When the car is idle, blip the throttle really quick and watch the way the revs climb. That may also help explain the acceleration times...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back