Want to change my car, but.....

Currently reading:
Want to change my car, but.....

Dave UK

GP Abarth One Day!!
Not sure there is a question here!

Currently got a 56 plate Grande Punto. Had it for 11 years, no real dramas with it or expense. It's a good car, apart from the age related paint (It was red!) and a few scracthes and scuffs. (Driver scraped along the side, no major damage, just a bit cosmetic a few months ago.) 95k on the clock, but it's a MJD - A pretty good engine from what i've been told.

Always have a look online every now and then, as would quite like to get another car, mainly with 5 doors and a few more mod cons. (Might get to not have a sock full of cat litter in the car during the winter months)
Value of the car is around £250, or £166 scrap. Couldn't bring myself to scrap a car that runs pretty much perfectly. Looks like i've got it until it does finally give up the ghost!

Suppose if I was to ask a question, anyone else been in the same kind of situation?

Not sure there is a question here!

Currently got a 56 plate Grande Punto. Had it for 11 years, no real dramas with it or expense. It's a good car, apart from the age related paint (It was red!) and a few scracthes and scuffs. (Driver scraped along the side, no major damage, just a bit cosmetic a few months ago.) 95k on the clock, but it's a MJD - A pretty good engine from what i've been told.

Always have a look online every now and then, as would quite like to get another car, mainly with 5 doors and a few more mod cons. (Might get to not have a sock full of cat litter in the car during the winter months)
Value of the car is around £250, or £166 scrap. Couldn't bring myself to scrap a car that runs pretty much perfectly. Looks like i've got it until it does finally give up the ghost!

Suppose if I was to ask a question, anyone else been in the same kind of situation?

Hi

If its the 1248cc mj

Price is £600/£800

Ones advertised have just jumped from £1k up to £1250

Im looking too ;)
I Have 3 old ones..

If the car works and isn't about to explode then now is not the time.

Global microchip shortage and all the covid shutdowns have throttled the supply of new cars. This has come down to the rest of the market and it's currently silly season on used cars.

I bought my current car 2.5 years old with a year of manufacturer warranty, with 36k on it for 8400 quid in 2014.

I saw it's double but in the less desirable grey up for sale recently not an insignificant mileage on it at 55k. 6 grand..in normal circumstances that's 3-4 grand car all day long.

It may be this is how it is now and values are up as manufacturers choke new supplies but I'd give it a bit if your car is healthy.

My newest mj

A58 plate bought 18 months ago with 65k.. via a trader who Ebayed it..He valued it at £1400.. final bid was £1006

Sister car was on ebay last month..
Same reg letter..colour and spec

59 plate 72k .. so essentially 'older'
The price ?

£2750

And it sold

I put the markets rise down to people wanting something cheap'ish to last them 3 to 5 years.. as its too early to committ to electric for many people

Last edited:
Car manufacturers (like anyone) have to drive down the cost of parts. However, they have been too "clever" with electronics and microchips. When the market tightened, the chip and circuit board manufacturers dropped their least profitable lines - hitting car makers harder than most.

It's a bit early for people to hold out for reasonable cost electric cars, but this electronic chip shortage has crimped the supply of new cars. Older cars are holding their value especially those which have been well looked after.

Back