Volvo - Death Free cars

Currently reading:
Volvo - Death Free cars

what happens when the 'electric power steering' fails..... and the steering wheel isn't actually connected to anything ?

fiats are electrically assisted you will still retain steering ability unless your on a sharp bend when it fails and are built like weed / elderly / it catches you by surprise .......... ;)

fiats are electrically assisted you will still retain steering ability unless your on a sharp bend when it fails and are built like weed / elderly / it catches you by surprise .......... ;)

I read the other day the next generation of electric power steering will do away with the connection between driver and wheels, becoming a drive by wire system to pave the way for the technology that Volvo have proposed, you can't have an uncrashable car if the driver can still deliberately crash it

what happens when the 'electric power steering' fails..... and the steering wheel isn't actually connected to anything ?

An interesting point, although a lot of agricultural machinery, tractors etc, use drive by wire, and not real issues there, no not sure if the same could be expected in cars or not.

Hang on...

article-2242930-165968CA000005DC-232_634x421.jpg

Windows! We're doomed!! Ahhhh

Dom

Microsoft makes the ECU's for Formula 1 cars. ;)

Experts say self-drive cars are potentially safer because they take the risk of human error out of motoring.

And Jason says that putting anything in a car that encourages the person behind the wheel to think they need to care less about the task for which they mostly already don't care about is a ****ing stupid plan. Not from a technology point of view, not from a traffic or congestion point of view but from a common bloody sense point of view. You're operating a death machine. Pay attention!

And 20 years in IT has taught me that users will make a comprehensive disaster out of the most bullet proof well intentioned system.

I was under the impression (rightly or wrongly) that there has to be a physical connection to the front wheels to get past safety regs.

Further to that what happens in the event of a catastrophic engine failure at speed if your wheel and brakes are attached to nowt? While it works on tractors I wouldn't want to be in a drive by wire car at 85mph in the outside lane of the motorway when the timing belt went, it would be bad enough now nevermind when all you can do is wave your arms and put the hazards one while waiting to see if you coast to stop in the fast lane and no one hits you..

Last edited:
I was under the impression (rightly or wrongly) that there has to be a physical connection to the front wheels to get past safety regs.

Further to that what happens in the event of a catastrophic engine failure at speed if your wheel and brakes are attached to nowt? While it works on tractors I wouldn't want to be in a drive by wire car at 85mph in the outside lane of the motorway when the timing belt went, it would be bad enough now nevermind when all you can do is wave your arms and put the hazards one while waiting to see if you coast to stop in the fast lane and no one hits you..

Nope there doesn't have to be a 'mechanical' connection between wheels and driver (electrical system still constitutes a 'physical' connection) as for engine failure I'm not sure how this will effect the working of the electrical steering its not powered off a hydraulic pump as with most power steering so less likely to be a problem than hydraulic power steering cars.

Anyway for your info http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19979380

Back