Technical Variator

Currently reading:
Technical Variator

Nodnolmick

My variator is rattling but not at tickover which I'm told is normal, I've been told repeatedly that it's probably a heatsheild or something but it's not, the noise starts at around 2000rpm (but I think goes away above 40000rpm)and sounds like the engine is scrap, on tickover it sounds perfect,i disconnected the plug from the actuator 6 months ago and its sounded perfect ever since but I want to fix it properly so does anyone know what is causing it as so many say it's not the variator as that causes a tickover rattle, I'm thinking variator myself but it could be the actuator or the camshaft that are at fault

Hi Nodnolmick,
Did you ever get it solved? Last night something similar started happening to my daughters b. I'll start a new thread on it, but just curious how things went for you!

Hi Nodnolmick,
Did you ever get it solved? Last night something similar started happening to my daughters b. I'll start a new thread on it, but just curious how things went for you!
It's still on my list,I disconnected the electrical connector for the variator actuator and it's run fine ever since, sadly nobody has offered any advice on what is causing the problem or how to cure it other than telling me to check things like the exhaust heat shield despite my making it clear that the noise is coming from the end of the camshaft, I'm reluctant to buy a new variator only to find it's not the problem

Thanks for the reply, my problem seems identical to yours. I'll see if I get any hits on my post, and let you know.
Do/Did you disconnect the electrical leads right at the variator (clips?)? Are they easily accessible? If simple enough I'll for sure try it, if nothing else for peace of mind. The rattle is awful, it sounds like the engine is junk.
What year is your b?

Hi Nodnolmick,
It's still on my list,I disconnected the electrical connector for the variator actuator and it's run fine ever since, sadly nobody has offered any advice on what is causing the problem or how to cure it other than telling me to check things like the exhaust heat shield despite my making it clear that the noise is coming from the end of the camshaft, I'm reluctant to buy a new variator only to find it's not the probl
Thanks for the reply, my problem seems identical to yours. I'll see if I get any hits on my post, and let you know.
Do/Did you disconnect the electrical leads right at the variator (clips?)? Are they easily accessible? If simple enough I'll for sure try it, if nothing else for peace of mind. The rattle is awful, it sounds like the engine is junk.
What year is your b?
The clip I took off was in this area, a simple 2 pin clip like the ones to the injectors

Attachments

• IMG_20220515_215148.jpg
    IMG_20220515_215148.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 102
Reactions: tjr
Many thanks, looks simple enough, will give it a shot and report back.

Next question, is why, and how, this hack works. Is it simply that the variator actuator is faulty and screws things up with the timing/variator or are the signals to the actuator faulty, and if so would that be the ECU, cables, and/or sensors causing it.

That's what I would like to know as people keep saying a failed variator rattles on tickover, I've got another solenoid but not tried it yet

You can test the basic variator operation as follows.

When the car is warm raise the revs from idle to just about 2000 rpm and then hold the revs there with a steady foot. In a few moments the revs should automatically rise above 2K as the variator operates. Can't recall the exact increase but probably 500 to 1000 rpm and will the hold steady at the increased RPM.

It's still on my list,I disconnected the electrical connector for the variator actuator and it's run fine ever since, sadly nobody has offered any advice on what is causing the problem or how to cure it other than telling me to check things like the exhaust heat shield despite my making it clear that the noise is coming from the end of the camshaft, I'm reluctant to buy a new variator only to find it's not the probl

The clip I took off was in this area, a simple 2 pin clip like the ones to the injectors
I had to try it, instead of going to work...
I disconnected the clip, and took the b for a short drive, the >2krpm rattle didn't appear! 👏🙌 to you Nodnolmick! How did you source the new solenoid (my solenoid cover looks quite clean/new)?

You can test the basic variator operation as follows.

When the car is warm raise the revs from idle to just about 2000 rpm and then hold the revs there with a steady foot. In a few moments the revs should automatically rise above 2K as the variator operates. Can't recall the exact increase but probably 500 to 1000 rpm and will the hold steady at the increased RPM.
As mentioned earlier, I started a new thread last night with my similar (if not identical) troubles. In it, without knowing it, I described the variator operation/function/effect. Thank you for clearing that out s130.
Perhaps the variator is ok, and if so the argument is strengthened that the problem source is further upstream.

That's what I would like to know as people keep saying a failed variator rattles on tickover, I've got another solenoid but not tried it yet
Have you checked for ECU error codes and/or sensor values on your b? Supposedly it is possible to activate the timing variator solenoid page 19 with a F / L Tester. I need to look if MultiEcuScan has this option.

Have you checked for ECU error codes and/or sensor values on your b? Supposedly it is possible to activate the timing variator solenoid page 19 with a F / L Tester. I need to look if MultiEcuScan has this option.
MultiECUScan can operate the variator solenoid on both the early and later CF2 Barchettas.

Thanks to @s130 and @Wiltshire Chris, we've been able to discover the identity of the variator solenoid relay, where it's located, and the P/N of the solenoid (still available for purchase both new and used). A "common" issue with the solenoid and a possible repair (soldering) has been discussed and documented in an Alfa Romeo group.
Have you made any headway @Nodnolmick?

I'm away working at the moment (last few days away now) so I've not even seen the car but I would be interested to know where the solenoid relay is

From the wiring diagram, it seems that if the relay is out of order, the injection warning light will light up.
My main suspects at the moment are the solenoid itself and or clogged oil channels.

Back