USB coruption drivers?

Currently reading:
USB coruption drivers?

psychofox

Legend
Hi guys,

Ive tried to reinstall a Microsoft wireless receiver so that I can use my Xbox pad on the PC, but it tells me the drivers are corrupt.
It was working fine until the hard drive went ca-put earlier in the year (there is a thread somewhere here).

I’ve tried the drivers on the disc and from the MS website (which are an updated version). No luck. Every time I install it, it tells me the device is not working properly. I’ve looked in the device list and the error is corrupt drivers.

Any idea what is causing this and how can I fix? After many emails to MS Customer service I have deemed them useless. They have come to the conclusion that many things could be causing this and don’t know where to start.

Only other thing I can think of, have a look at the .inf file contained in the package you downloaded with the latest drivers and see (I can't remember off the top of my head as I'm at work) if that tells you what files are installed, where and what registry keys are created. You can then go and delete these individual files/keys and see if that helps at all.

Only other thing I can think of, have a look at the .inf file contained in the package you downloaded with the latest drivers and see (I can't remember off the top of my head as I'm at work) if that tells you what files are installed, where and what registry keys are created. You can then go and delete these individual files/keys and see if that helps at all.

I'm at work too. i will take a look when I get in.
How do I know which ones to delete?

The .inf file (if memory serves) should tell you what files, etc are to be installed.
My feeling is that an installation has failed but has left the failed files behind, and when you try to re-install it instead of overwriting the files, the installer sees them, looks at the version and skips installation. Trying to get back to as clean a slate as possible really is my thought, and if a full re-install of Windows is a last resort this is the only other thing I can think of.

The .inf file (if memory serves) should tell you what files, etc are to be installed.
My feeling is that an installation has failed but has left the failed files behind, and when you try to re-install it instead of overwriting the files, the installer sees them, looks at the version and skips installation. Trying to get back to as clean a slate as possible really is my thought, and if a full re-install of Windows is a last resort this is the only other thing I can think of.

Thanks!
Which ones should I look out for to delete?

I tried it in Safe mode, didnt work. I uninstalled it again, rebooted, reinstalled, didnt work. I uninstalled it for the umpteenth time, screamed at it, turned it off, turned it back on reinstalled it, it now works. :confused:
I have no idea what I did differently, but I am not complaining.

Thanks for the help and advice guys. :slayer:

Back