Technical Urgent Speedometer cable help please

Currently reading:
Technical Urgent Speedometer cable help please

Lol,I think the red colour mesmorised me into buying it (I pity the fool writing thi..... D'oh!) :D

So you think I should drive the car with the speedometer detached and see if the end of the cable spins round? :)

I can see your point there as I never actually took off the speedometer from the dash,guess theres the possibility the cogs for the milometer have mashed up? :confused:

Sonic2 said:
Lol,I think the red colour mesmorised me into buying it (I pity the fool writing thi..... D'oh!) :D

So you think I should drive the car with the speedometer detached and see if the end of the cable spins round? :)

I can see your point there as I never actually took off the speedometer from the dash,guess theres the possibility the cogs for the milometer have mashed up? :confused:

Possibly, give it a go! Keep your eye on the road though :D

Maybe someone can lend you a speedo or whole instrument binnacle to try and rule out a fault?

Sonic2 said:
I need a new speedometer cable for my n reg Cinq sporting. (Has been a clicking noise coming from the dash for ages now the speedos dead so pretty sure its that).

Do the non sporting models use the same cable as i'll probably go up to the scrappys and pick another one up.

Cheers all! :)

Fiat use chassis numbers to order spares. There are i think, 2 types of gearbox wormdrives and 6 types of cables, Split (2piece) the one you have and single. Happy hunting.

Sonic2 said:
well if I disconnect the speedometer cable in the middle join and turn the inner part anti clockwise then the speedometer cable works so im pretty confident that ive eliminated the upper cable and the speedometer.

Prior to this it was clicking a lot (sounded like it came from the speedometer though :confused: ) and the speedometer was varying quite a bit even when I was at a constant speed.

Maybe that sheds some light on things?

You have a streched cable outer which means that the inner cable is too short to locate properly inside the square bit in the back of the speedo and the clicking is it slipping.

cc1 said:
You have a streched cable outer which means that the inner cable is too short to locate properly inside the square bit in the back of the speedo and the clicking is it slipping.

Good point,I think that is very likely!

Cheers again all.

Failing that,do you think I could cut and shut the old cable? Would that be easy to do?

Sonic2 said:
Good point,I think that is very likely!

Cheers again all.

Failing that,do you think I could cut and shut the old cable? Would that be easy to do?

Best to buy a new cable. Check the gearbox end before you go looking as there are two types: Square and round with a slot.

cc1 said:

No so in my case - a few days ago I posted that mine was clicking like mad too.

Well, it was annoying me so much that yesterday, I stripped it out. The worm gear in the right-angled section of plastic which is attached to the speedo unit was totally devoid of grease. After applying some fresh stuff and working it well in, I can report that this has completely fixed the problem.

One side note - As a test, after you remove the right-angle part, give it a shake. If it rattles; then it needs greased.

Also, I am a bit confused as to how an 'outer' sheathing on a cable can be stretch when it is not under a tensile load. There can be more than one reason for things not working and logical elimination of culprits can pinpoint the true cause and save some cash...

Sonic - how are you getting on? Case closed?

Last edited:
Not had chance to do anything else on it since its dark by the time I get home and weekends are pretty frantic things for me right now (n)

But,I did notice it had come apart at the join. I think the engine/box mounts are on their way out as its unlikely theyve been changed (reads 93+k on the milometer).

So I think its pretty likely the cable stretched.

As soon as I have any more news i'll report on how it went,but im pretty sure I will have a go at cutting and shutting the (Outer part of) the cable.

But,before that I will run the car with the dash out,and see if the centre of the cable is still turning. If it does I will be pretty confident in it being the speedometer thats fudged.

If it doesnt spin round then its a pretty good assumption the outer cable has stretched and the speedo has lost drive this way.

(as reported earlier the upper cable when disconected will drive the speedo,so Im leaning towards it being a stretched cable more than the speedometer).

If all else fails the gearbox cog has gone (n) (n) (n) :bang: :cry: :yuck: ... :tosser: mr fiat! :yum: :D

cheers all for the guidance :D

Sonic2 said:
I need a new speedometer cable for my n reg Cinq sporting. (Has been a clicking noise coming from the dash for ages now the speedos dead so pretty sure its that).

Did anyone solved the problem with the clicking noise sofar? Mine speedometer has this clicking noise sometimes. Is it wise to grease the cabel at the place where it joins the speedometer.
This is really annoing noise.

yarre said:
Did anyone solved the problem with the clicking noise sofar? Mine speedometer has this clicking noise sometimes. Is it wise to grease the cabel at the place where it joins the speedometer.
This is really annoing noise.

Yup - see my post above ^

By the way, use a rubber-compatible grease as some grease/vaseline/spit degrades rubber and some plastics.

J

Last edited:
Jamieboy said:
Also, I am a bit confused as to how an 'outer' sheathing on a cable can be stretch when it is not under a tensile load. There can be more than one reason for things not working and logical elimination of culprits can pinpoint the true cause and save some cash...

Sonic - how are you getting on? Case closed?

I am a bit confused as too as to why it seamed to stretch. Perhaps continual heating/cooling in the engine bay, cable routing and cable length are factors that make the metal loose its memory. Unlike a handbrake cabe which is continualy under tension to keep it compressed.(Under a tensile load.) Maybe the inner cable is too short to start with?

cc1 said:
I am a bit confused as too as to why it seamed to stretch. Perhaps continual heating/cooling in the engine bay, cable routing and cable length are factors that make the metal loose its memory. Unlike a handbrake cabe which is continualy under tension to keep it compressed.(Under a tensile load.) Maybe the inner cable is too short to start with?

It certainly is an interesting one....

Perhaps the outer sheath lining is eroded over time which allows the inner to convolute inside.

Probably not serious enough to dwell on though!

J

I can answer that one myself,the engine mounts are pretty shot,I did like a bit of rock and roll :slayer: lol,but not this type,just looking for a quick fix as im getting another car pretty soon,cant really justify spending £150 at a garage to get this done right now :yuck:

Back