Unreliable notifications

Currently reading:
Unreliable notifications

Ever since the Forum 'upgrade', the notification system seems to be erratic.
There are lots of threads that I have posted to, and should notify me when new posts are made to that thread. But this is unreliable.
Frequently, when browsing 'New Posts', I see threads that should notify me, but haven't. When opening them, there can be pages of 'New' posts, all missed as no notifications have arrived. This is particularly evident with the 'smile', 'grumpy' and 'not smile-not grumpy' threads.
@ben any idea why this is happening? (Or not happening.)

Ok let's see if we can get to the bottom of this, coz I don't have any issues at all :s

Firstly, can you answer yes or no to these:

1. Does a red number show up on the alerts bar?
1679220012592.png

2. If you view the alerts list manually, is it listed (click here)
3. Do you receive an email for any alerts?
4. Do you receive any emails at all from the forum?
5. Have you enabled push notifications? If so - do you receive any at all?

This should give me an idea of what to look for :)

Ok let's see if we can get to the bottom of this, coz I don't have any issues at all :s

Firstly, can you answer yes or no to these:

1. Does a red number show up on the alerts bar?
Yes
View attachment 420324
2. If you view the alerts list manually, is it listed (click here)
Yes
3. Do you receive an email for any alerts?
Yes, but not all. Viewing the alerts, using the bell icon, the 'grumpy' thread alert, from March 9th, did not send an email. The others of that day did.
4. Do you receive any emails at all from the forum?
Yes.
5. Have you enabled push notifications? If so - do you receive any at all?
No. I'm not absolutely sure what these are, or how they work. My understanding is that they pop up alerts on whatever device I'm using, whenever something happens. This would be very irritating when working on other things other than the forum, so not activated. The tick box is ticked for notification of new conversation messages. The option for push notifications suggests that this would need to be activated every time I start my computer, which seems a major PITA, so I have no desire to do so.
This should give me an idea of what to look for :)

Yes, but not all. Viewing the alerts, using the bell icon, the 'grumpy' thread alert, from March 9th, did not send an email. The others of that day did.
Sorry, so just to be 100% clear - there is a notification in the alerts section for the grumpy thread, but no email was received?

Also - if a thread is notified, you won't get a further notification (even if more posts are added) until you have read the thread (which should then send you to the first unread item)

Sorry, so just to be 100% clear - there is a notification in the alerts section for the grumpy thread, but no email was received?
That's correct. Never received an email.
Also - if a thread is notified, you won't get a further notification (even if more posts are added) until you have read the thread (which should then send you to the first unread item)
I'm aware of this, but if the original email is not sent/received, then further posts can be added, and there will be no notification for them either. By the time I catch up with any thread, there can be pages of replies unread.

This seems to be a random issue, although there could be many unread posts that have passed by, to be lost forever.
Today, the notification bell icon shows 3, and 3 emails have been delivered. I've not previously looked at the bell icon, relying on emails. I will keep an eye on the bell, and highlight any threads that are there, but without an email. Hopefully soon we can identify when/why/how. Currently, we will be chasing a shadow in the dark.

I cant even see an option now for where threads you've posted on gets notifications.

I dont have a Content Option under Your Account

xeH9ipi.jpeg

Back