Push notifications?

Currently reading:
Push notifications?

I keep getting a notice at the bottom of the screen to "enable push notifications". What are they, what do they do and should I enable them?
If you enable them, you will have messages popping up from the Fiat Forum.
At the minute when you go on the website, there will be some 'alerts' sitting for your attention. I believe if you enable the push notifications, it will 'push' these alerts out whether you are on the website or not and these notifications will pop up on the screen. FF can probably push out other notifications as well, depending on how they want to use it. If you want notified promptly of these alerts, and other info FF feels is important, enable them.

If you don't want them, when the notice "The FIAT Forum would like your permission to enable push notifications." pops up, there is a little "x" to the right hand side. If you press this, you get the message "We strongly recommend enabling push notifications on this device so that you can be kept up-to-date with site activity." with options to
"Enable notifications", "Ask me another time" or "Never ask again", so if you don't want to see it again, you can select the appropriate option.

If you enable them, you will have messages popping up from the Fiat Forum.
At the minute when you go on the website, there will be some 'alerts' sitting for your attention. I believe if you enable the push notifications, it will 'push' these alerts out whether you are on the website or not and these notifications will pop up on the screen. FF can probably push out other notifications as well, depending on how they want to use it. If you want notified promptly of these alerts, and other info FF feels is important, enable them.

If you don't want them, when the notice "The FIAT Forum would like your permission to enable push notifications." pops up, there is a little "x" to the right hand side. If you press this, you get the message "We strongly recommend enabling push notifications on this device so that you can be kept up-to-date with site activity." with options to
"Enable notifications", "Ask me another time" or "Never ask again", so if you don't want to see it again, you can select the appropriate option.
Thanks very much, I'm still a bit uncertain about what this is all about so I think I'll just leave it alone on the basis that, where computers are concerned, it's safest never to invite them to do anything?

They are super useful - it's how I keep managing to reply to everyone so fast :)

On a mobile, it will mean you get an instant notification each time an action happens that you are subscribed to (new post in subscribed thread, new private message, new thread in subscribed forum). If you click that notification it will take you directly to the post/message/thread.

On desktop, they will appear in the Windows notification bar (bottom right) - or as a little pop-up if your browser is open. And same as mobile, click it to be taken directly to the action.

Oh! One just came in for me now whilst writing this!

Mobile:
Screenshot_20220113-222827_One UI Home.jpg

Desktop:

1642084287451.png

So instead of getting loads of emails telling me about things, I get these one time alerts. Which I can then click and be taken to the action, rather than needing to open an email and then click the link inside that.

They aren't mutually exclusive though, you can choose to keep email alerts too, or email for certain things and notifications for other.

They are super useful - it's how I keep managing to reply to everyone so fast :)

On a mobile, it will mean you get an instant notification each time an action happens that you are subscribed to (new post in subscribed thread, new private message, new thread in subscribed forum). If you click that notification it will take you directly to the post/message/thread.

On desktop, they will appear in the Windows notification bar (bottom right) - or as a little pop-up if your browser is open. And same as mobile, click it to be taken directly to the action.

Oh! One just came in for me now whilst writing this!

Mobile:
View attachment 400580

Desktop:

View attachment 400581

So instead of getting loads of emails telling me about things, I get these one time alerts. Which I can then click and be taken to the action, rather than needing to open an email and then click the link inside that.

They aren't mutually exclusive though, you can choose to keep email alerts too, or email for certain things and notifications for other.
Thanks ben. I don't have a smart phone or any fancy tech, just my trusty old windows laptop. I don't seem to be getting any of the email notifications I used to get on the old system so maybe I should enable them.

Thanks ben. I don't have a smart phone or any fancy tech, just my trusty old windows laptop. I don't seem to be getting any of the email notifications I used to get on the old system so maybe I should enable them.
Good question Jock.I was wondering. Too much like work I think. This is meant to be leisure for nearly all of us.

I don't seem to be getting any of the email notifications I used to get on the old system so maybe I should enable them.

Just checked your account and you haven't turned post/thread notifications on. I suspect that wasn't a thing that is imported.

1642939851372.png

I've enabled them all for you now - but for others wondering where this is, it's in the account preferences page.

Edit: Just checked my account and all my watched threads did import, very odd...

Just checked your account and you haven't turned post/thread notifications on. I suspect that wasn't a thing that is imported.

View attachment 401068

I've enabled them all for you now - but for others wondering where this is, it's in the account preferences page.

Edit: Just checked my account and all my watched threads did import, very odd...
Thanks ben, I'm an absolute disaster at all this more "technical" stuff. Much better with a hammer and large screwdriver!

Reactions: ben
Well, I thought I was getting to grips with our new forum but, whilst most of it seems to work much like it did before - so I'm looking at the forum threads and I've found out how to look at threads I've posted in and all that sort of daily stuff, I've just found an alert to a post (which previously would turn up in my emails) in my promotions folder. This has happened since you turned "stuff" on for me ben and I don't know why. I also can't find how to do a private message now? Is it in the "conversations"? I've had a look in there and don't really know how it works. Also, as you'll know I'm sure, I like doing descriptive posts which include images in the text. Now all I can see is how to upload images so they appear at the end of the text "Attach files". Can I still insert images into the text as I used to?

Please don't think I'm having a moan here ben. I really enjoy being part of this forum, just find it a bit frustrating that I'm so stupid with this sort of "stuff" that I can't understand how some of it works.
Kindest regards as ever
Jock

I've just found an alert to a post (which previously would turn up in my emails) in my promotions folder. This has happened since you turned "stuff" on for me ben and I don't know why.

Is your email account a Gmail one? Messages get put in the promotions folder when it thinks they are non personal messages.

There is a flag that can be set when sending, I'll have a look when I get home.

I also can't find how to do a private message now? Is it in the "conversations"?

Yes, they are now conversations. So you can either click a members name, then on the popup "start conversation", or click the mail icon in the header and do it that way.

Screenshot_20220124-220834_Edge.jpg

Now all I can see is how to upload images so they appear at the end of the text "Attach files". Can I still insert images into the text as I used to?

Attaching images is actually now much much easier. You can either just paste them into the position you want, or if using the attachment system, upload them using the "attach files" button, then when they are uploaded click the "insert" button overlay on the required image:

Screenshot_20220124-221015_Edge.jpg

Then choose thumbnail or full size:

Screenshot_20220124-221027_Edge.jpg

And it will insert the image where the cursor currently is.

Of course you can then drag them around after as you wish!

Is your email account a Gmail one? Messages get put in the promotions folder when it thinks they are non personal messages.

There is a flag that can be set when sending, I'll have a look when I get home.

Yes, they are now conversations. So you can either click a members name, then on the popup "start conversation", or click the mail icon in the header and do it that way.

View attachment 401122

Attaching images is actually now much much easier. You can either just paste them into the position you want, or if using the attachment system, upload them using the "attach files" button, then when they are uploaded click the "insert" button overlay on the required image:

View attachment 401123

Then choose thumbnail or full size:

View attachment 401124

And it will insert the image where the cursor currently is.

Of course you can then drag them around after as you wish!
Thanks ben. and thanks for replying so quickly. I was thinking If the lad over in Linlithgow takes up my offer I'll need to message him to give directions as to where I am.

Yes, my email is with Google mail.

I think I understand how to do the pictures now. I'll do a bit of experimenting - look pretty simple, as you say.

Thanks again for your help and thanks again for this wonderful forum!
Kindest regards
Jock

Back