Tuning Uno Turbo engine in Panda?

Currently reading:
Tuning Uno Turbo engine in Panda?

busta rhyme

Will the Uno Turbo engine fit in a Panda 4x4? That would be awesome to have a fourwheel drive Panda with turbocharge.. :p Are the enginemounts in the same places etc?

Why the Uno turbo?? its a heavier older engine?? Would be better to find an Abarth 500 engine and turbo... but you couldn't do it with 4 wheel drive and the Transmission was never built for the amount of torque you'd generate

Go Rotrex and supercharge it - see the threads about my build. It flew up Test Hill at Brooklands today and was an absolute 110bhp ball!

But then I would say that wouldn't I...

I had a look a while back and couldn't find much on new Panda engine swaps, just forced induction, r1nga's supercharger and shakey hands man's turbo. I would have thought someone would have chucked a bigger lump in by now, 1.8 Punto HGT perhaps, or an Alfa twinspark or JTS (182hp 2.2l :chin:)? They probably have, but I just haven't found it.

There is little room in the engine bay for larger engines.

Not sure there is even room at the back of the engine bay for the turbo set up of a UT either... but since it has been asked- The Abarth 500 uses the same gearbox type as a UT, so you could certainly use normal UT gearbox setup with A500 mounts, driveshafts, hubs (required), gear change parts. The RH wing mount would have to be custom since this age of engine hasn't been installed in FIATs this century.

It would certainly be one of the more odd conversions. Should really just put a T-Jet setup in there.

No one thought a 2.0 16v would go in to the front of a Seicento, until it happened.

A 1.4 turbo would be better though, it'd be lighter for a start so it wouldn't end up nose heavy. If you went down that route and you fitted the correct ECU for that engine and hooked up the canbus twisted pair would it play nice with the rest of the car's systems, so the trip computer etc would work?

Also Fiatseicento2002 any particular reason for a 500 engine, instead of a GP or Bravo tjet unit? I thought they'd all be the same, unless it was Essesse spec in which case a bigger turbo I think?

No one thought a 2.0 16v would go in to the front of a Seicento, until it happened.
Point taken.

A 1.4 turbo would be better though, it'd be lighter for a start so it wouldn't end up nose heavy. If you went down that route and you fitted the correct ECU for that engine and hooked up the canbus twisted pair would it play nice with the rest of the car's systems, so the trip computer etc would work?
As you say a larger engine seems unessesary with the excellent engine range these days. The donor ECUs won't just integrate with the 100HP network. Best plan is to keep enough sensors in place to satisfy Panda electrics and lay the engine (and required body computer) from the donor on top. Until it gets very easy to interact and reprogram or control the closed FIAT CAN system, this will always be the case. I don't think that will ever happen in reality.

Also Fiatseicento2002 any particular reason for a 500 engine, instead of a GP or Bravo tjet unit? I thought they'd all be the same, unless it was Essesse spec in which case a bigger turbo I think?

Shortcut info on T-Jet types is here.

The donor ECUs won't just integrate with the 100HP network. Best plan is to keep enough sensors in place to satisfy Panda electrics and lay the engine (and required body computer) from the donor on top. Until it gets very easy to interact and reprogram or control the closed FIAT CAN system, this will always be the case. I don't think that will ever happen in reality.

Ah shame. I'd read (a little) into canbus and was under the impression that all the body computers broadcast what parameter, the current value and a value indicating priority (eg for the throttle position traction control would have a higher priority than the throttle pedal, so it's decision would always be taken). Then other systems in the car listen for and act on whatever data they require.

And they all use a standard invented and licensed by Bosch, therefore it would make sense that each engine computer would transmit road speed, current injector duration, revs etc the same as each other, so things like the rev counter, speedo, MPG readout etc would work. Especially as surely the protocol used by canbus Fiat engine computers would be the same at least :)

Ahh, I just read that last sentence back. It makes far too much sense! :doh:

I had seen your n/a 1368 classic Panda thread before, but not that one, something to read when I get in tonight.

Back