General Tyre Puncture Repair advice needed

Currently reading:
General Tyre Puncture Repair advice needed

austenw90

'13 Punto MultiAir 105
Hi all

In a few months I will be driving over to Germany where as many of you know the Autobahns are fast in places and a lot of fun!

My only worry is that I've had a puncture repair to my nearside front tyre. Does this restrict the speed the car should be driven at?

Unfortunately it isn't one of the tyres that is likely to need replacing before I go. For reference the wheels are 18's so the tyres are on the pricey side.

I'm not a maniac but have heard rumours you shouldn't exceed 100mph on a repaired tyre?? Is this true or a myth?

Whilst on the topic, any advice on a good replacement tyre on the Bravo 18's?

Thanks

Hi all

In a few months I will be driving over to Germany where as many of you know the Autobahns are fast in places and a lot of fun!

My only worry is that I've had a puncture repair to my nearside front tyre. Does this restrict the speed the car should be driven at?

Unfortunately it isn't one of the tyres that is likely to need replacing before I go. For reference the wheels are 18's so the tyres are on the pricey side.

I'm not a maniac but have heard rumours you shouldn't exceed 100mph on a repaired tyre?? Is this true or a myth?

Whilst on the topic, any advice on a good replacement tyre on the Bravo 18's?

Thanks

It's a myth. if a puncture is repaired correctly, it'll last virtually forever (until the rest of the tyre's dead) no matter how you drive or how fast you go.

I've had dozens of punctures repaired before and I never had any problem with any of them.

Last edited:
If you're paranoid about it blowing out, switch the two front tyres with the rears because it's less dangerous if a rear tyre blows than the front.

If you're paranoid about it blowing out, switch the two front tyres with the rears because it's less dangerous if a rear tyre blows than the front.

Is it? Surely losing control of the back means you're more likely to spin? If you lose a front you may be able to control it better. Could be wrong but my knowledge of cars is that understeer is safer than oversteer.

I don't know the physics behind it but I would rather blow my back tyre. The front wheels are for steering and acceleration so losing one of them I would imagine would throw your control over the vehicle wayyyy off. Your back wheels are always straight though so I reckon all that would happen is the car would lurch to one side if one was to blow.

Who knows?

i work at a tyre place mate and have done for 4 years, we tyre manage the fleet for Greater Manchester Police, normal patrol cars when punctured are just repaired. But response cars such as Evos, Subarus and V6 Boras are all replaced with brand new as soon as punctured, even if the tyres is only a week old! So, surly that tells you something! If a tyre is repaired professionally and the hole is filled with a plug patch then there are no restrictions with regards to speed/performance. But personally, if i was to drive very fast like on the autobahn or on a track, i wouldnt risk it. New only!

i work at a tyre place mate and have done for 4 years, we tyre manage the fleet for Greater Manchester Police, normal patrol cars when punctured are just repaired. But response cars such as Evos, Subarus and V6 Boras are all replaced with brand new as soon as punctured, even if the tyres is only a week old! So, surly that tells you something! If a tyre is repaired professionally and the hole is filled with a plug patch then there are no restrictions with regards to speed/performance. But personally, if i was to drive very fast like on the autobahn or on a track, i wouldnt risk it. New only!

not really a valid comparison, the bosses there will be totally risk averse and covering themselves

down to personal choice but a properly repaired tyre with a mushroom is as good as new imo

Plugs in tyres are perfectly safe, you can theorise as much as you like, but I dont think anyone has ever experienced a plug blowing out, let alone one blowing out and deflating a tyre as in an tyre burst.
Police regularly deploy tyre deflators (stingers) to stop criminals and I've never yet seen the tyres explode, just a gradual lowering of pressure until the car slows down.
As regards the police tyres, just remember who are giving the advice to the police --- the same people who are selling the tyres and giving the advice to you and me -- tyre fitters, people with a little training and no real technical knowledge.
Tony.

Back