Technical Two Pandas that need Timing belts

Currently reading:
Technical Two Pandas that need Timing belts

Hello

I have had a good trawl through the forum and I cannot find the answer to this question. I have two 169 Pandas which are both due a new timing belt. I am struggling to select the correct one though.

Panda 1 is a 1.2 FWD 2008 with engine code 188A4000 169AXB1A - it has an engine number that starts in 4 so I guess that the correct Gates kit would be KP15627XS?

Panda 2 is 4x4 1.2 2010 with engine code 188A4000 169AXB2A - I cannot make out the engine number on this, it is very corroded and I have tried a mild abrasive with no joy. Given that this is a newer car than Panda 1, would it be safe to assume that the engine number will be greater than Panda 1 and therefore Gates kit KP15627XS would also be the one to go for?

I have tried the sites where you enter your registration number but they suggest different timing belt kits depending on your engine number.

I would be grateful for any help you can give me please.

I may have answered my own question.

I used a VIN decoding website on Panda 1's VIN and it returned the same engine number as I had read from the stamped numbers on the engine near the exhaust manifold.

I popped the VIN for Panda 2 into this site and it gave me the engine number which is higher than the engine number of Panda 1.

On this basis I reckon both Pandas need KP15627XS.

Unless anyone can see a flaw in my logic then I will order two timing kits in the next few days.

That's basically what I did I can't remember what make it was but Gates does ring a bell. It came in a box with a new tensioner and fitted perfectly. One thing I did though before fitting it, I counted the teeth on the old and new belts to see if they were the same.

The change in belts came when the engine got the round oil cap. The belt teeth went rounded profile, instead of the earlier square profile. Water pump of course changed with it, and the tensioner changed to an auto type. This change happened for the 2006 model year. Mine was built early January 2006, and is the later belt.

Just thought I’d post this for others

The swap over engine numbers for the 1.2 and Conti part number for each

43CBA46A-A410-4E53-A316-19EE932EE92D.jpeg

Back