Technical Twinair misfire

Currently reading:
Technical Twinair misfire

martynljones

Hi everyone, I just thought I’d share my experience in the hope that it may help somebody in the future.

The daughter has a 2012 500 fitted with the Twinair unit. It lost power suddenly on the motorway, resulting in it being delivered home on the back of an RAC flatbed. I read the codes which flagged up a misfire on Cyl 1, a P0098 Intake Air Temperature Sensor 2 Circuit High, and a P0198 Engine Oil Temperature Sensor High. I’d serviced the car around 200 miles ago which Included changing the plugs, so instantly thought coil packs. I ordered a pair from ‘shop4parts’, and fitted.
Imagine my disappointment when I took it out for a test and it was still running like a pig. Running from hot or cold it would misfire when under load, and throw the same fault codes again. Fearing the worst (and an expensive trip to the dealer), I thought I’d swap the spark plugs over just to cover my a*se. I took it out for a spin after clearing the codes and it was still missing, and lighting up the dash. The codes however indicated that the misfire had followed the spark plug to cylinder 2. New plug fitted, and all was fine and dandy!

Moral of the story is don’t assume a 200 mile spark plug wont be the problem.

Just for info., which plugs were they that caused the issue? I'd know to not discount them when changing plugs in future.

If memory serves, the Fiat OEM ones are NGK.

And the lesson is, just because a part is brand new out of the box doesn't mean it can't be the issue...

Unfortunately the misfire thing with T/A's is quite common, especially when the weather gets colder...

And the lesson is, just because a part is brand new out of the box doesn't mean it can't be the issue...
This is what came out of my 2013..

Fiat Power Train : out
NGK : IN

Unfortunately the misfire thing with T/A's is quite common, especially when the weather gets colder...
Make sure you buy the right heat range. Just because they are listed for the twin air by some random seller doesn’t mean they are correct.
At least one seller on eBay doesn’t seem to know the difference between plugs needed for a turbo and non turbo version.

Back