Technical Twin-Air MPG

Currently reading:
Technical Twin-Air MPG

I have a friend who has the 500 lounge twin air and he got it remapped by a very reputable company who Was recommended to me also and the tech their said of the few 500s they have had in the shop they all exhibit the same poorly mapped fuel/air mixtures and timings. A quick 15 min recalibration of these and as well as more power and torque the economy went up dramatically and past the manufacturers figures.
Most remaps on induction engines will do this but it was interesting that he said the standard factory 'map' was awful and that played a huge part on the fuel economy issues they all had.

Thought I'd share.

M

I'd take that with a grain of salt though. Fiat spent millions developing the TA so I doubt they slapped a crappy map on to it after all their r&d. Having said that I've no doubt it can be tweeked and improved.

You would have thought so yes. Like I said a friend of mine has had his mapped and it made a world of difference.
Should hopefully be getting my 500L 1.4 in for its map as soon as it's done 3k.

I had my 1.2 500 Lounge mapped. Admittedly the top end gain of 10hp and 12lbft was not huge but it made it a lot more responsive in the mid range and on the throttle. Also saw a slight increase in mpg. Not bad for £150 ;-)

Celtic tuning.

I have used them on most of my cars, as has my family, friends and some colleagues that run small fleets of vehicles.

http://www.celtictuning.com/

Try them out they are really professional.

ed to correct link (for some reason .co.uk doesn't work but .com does)

Last edited by a moderator:
Right, to bring you up to date with this one as it stands.

I've had Fiat customer services on the phone to me and they are at least taking the complaint seriously. The matter has been passed to main dealer who are very apologetic and have asked me to do a brim to brim test over one tankful initially so that they know what they are dealing with.

As soon as I have finished this tank I shall do the brim to brim test and report back to them. At leat I feel that I am not being ignored anymore. Once I know more, I'll let you all know.

Having monitored a couple of tankfuls recently it seems it is possible to get reasonable economy at mediocre speeds over a good distance. I went from Deal to Rye using mostly the coast road, never much exceeding 45mph for the duration of the 120+ mile round trip and over the distance it showed 50mpg!

However, as soon as I sarted bumbling around town and too and fro work etc. the mpg immediately fell to low thrities again, in an instant. I mean you could virtually watch the fuel guage drop, again. So strange to note the huge difference so quickly. It just seems odd to me.

Mine averages around 48 - 52 MPG indicated, my journeys are short.

On a ~50 mile+ run if the trip is reset for this it gets 55-58 MPG indicated.

This compares very well to a diesel given the cheaper fuel (i.e. add 10% to above figures for diesel fuel equivalent).

Happy I chose Twin Air TBH, very good MPG and performance is there if you need to overtake etc. - turn off eco, make sure you're not in 6th, and floor it - goes quite well :)

Hi all. Just got back from a 2000 mile drive across America in a Chevrolet Impala (!) and I'd thought I'd bring you up to date on this one so far.

Ok, Service Manager from local Fiat has been in touch and he is not impressed with my apparent mpg figures. He wants to lash her up to their computer and take a load of readings. He wants to do this with an identical car as well as a baseline. So we're waiting on that. He also suggested 45mpg round town was an expected figure. I'm getting mid thirties.

Just before I went away on my American Odyssey I also received a rather nifty hamper from Fiat UK, full of goodies, wine, pasta, sauces etc. I think as a bit of an apology. Anyway, gratefully recieve, I can assure you!

Also just before holiday the air-con packed up. The light comes on, but no one's home, so to speak. It don't get cold. And it's getting tricky to get in to reverse gear as well. All to be sorted shortly. I'll keep you informed. (y)

Just over 6 weeks in and I'm averaging 48. It's slowly going up, driving gently around town mostly with the occasional touch of spirited right foot ;)

Cheers Tom

I hope so but I'm getting more and more tempted to turn eco mode off more often. It's much more fun ;)

Cheers Tom

TBH,
I don't normally turn ECO off as it's probably @85% of full power now,
you can accelerate up sliproads + the like, Much more easily..so I just leave the green light LIT (y)

the JTD_Liam rule of thumb that ;

new TA on Full power = run in on ECO stands fairly true,

the MPG figures also hold testament to how "tight"
the TA is for the 1st 5/10 K miles..!!

my commuting average has gone from @ 30 mpg to @ 50 now( same route + time of year).. the warmer air temps certainly help with a TA ;)

Charlie

TBH,
you can accelerate up sliproads + the like, Much more easily..so I just leave the green light LIT

Not sure if it's a quirk of eco mode but while accelerating away from traffic lights with it on, there seems to be a bit of a stutter or hesitation between 2500-3500 revs that's not there in normal mode :eek:

Cheers Tom

Last edited:
TBH,

you can accelerate up sliproads + the like, Much more easily..so I just leave the green light LIT (y)

the JTD_Liam rule of thumb that ;

new TA on Full power = run in on ECO stands fairly true,

the MPG figures also hold testament to how "tight"

the TA is for the 1st 5/10 K miles..!!

my commuting average has gone from @ 30 mpg to @ 50 now( same route + time of year).. the warmer air temps certainly help with a TA ;)

Charlie

Don't forget that your comparing your 85 TA with the 105 that's in the L. You've got a Punto right?

Just to clarify, I have had 36 mpg, 36 mpg and 38 mpg, brim to brim calculations out of the last three tankfulls. Mixed motoring, no use of ECO but stop/start cutting in now and then. Was expecting nearer 50 mpg. (y)

Back