Technical trolley jack

Currently reading:
Technical trolley jack

I've ordered a trolley jack but am getting conflicting info as to where the best places are for jacking up ie never the sills or always under the transmission with a block of wood??
where do you recommend for front or back also safe places for axle stands?
thanks in advance guys ?

Some pictures of these jacking points might be useful for us Noobs! I jacked up by the sill and bent it a bit...Oops

Trolley jacks and axle stands 2 rules i follow

Solid and fixed

Ie a concreate floor - tarmac
So no paving slabs or gravel

Clean and smooth

Workshop floor - garage floor etc :)

Ziggy

m depends what tarmac is layed on
it wouldnt be my choice as wheels or axle stand couuld easily sink into it

I jacked it up today to change the oil, positioned the trolley jack under the rear bolt on the dog bone where it goes into the car body, seemed fine then put axle stands under the sub frame.
Everything went ok ???

Sent from my iPad Air using FIAT Forum

I jacked it up today to change the oil, positioned the trolley jack under the rear bolt on the dog bone where it goes into the car body, seemed fine then put axle stands under the sub frame.
Everything went ok ???

Sent from my iPad Air using FIAT Forum

well done
i had to jack a corsa up today
i did the axle
i did the sill
and i kept my head clear
only changing a rear road spring but safety always comes first
i lived and nothing slipped
its too easy to think its safe but end up in the ground in some mdf at £4500

I was always told not to take any wheels off unless you have to when jacking up and if you do to put them under the sills so that there is some protection if the worst happens.

I've bent the odd sill but usually there is an actual jacking point on most cars.

I personally use the wishbone/subframe bolt.

I need to jack my punto up to get the remaining bolts out the manifold but I've left it dismantled on my driveway which is red chips. Lol.

I'll need to dig my axle stands in before using them or roll the car into my garage then jack it up but not sure if I've got enough room.

Might take the chance on the chips - nice knowing you all!!!

scrape the chips out of the way, there must be something solid below. You can also use a large non-slip board.
Safety is key - there was a guy a few miles from me crushed to death under his own car when working on it

Back