General Can I jack the punto up on side wheels?

Currently reading:
General Can I jack the punto up on side wheels?

SeanoPunto

I've just bought the tool kit for my punto from a scrappy that includes the jack and now want to get under the car to have a look at various things and to help with some small jobs I want to carry out on it.
The job I have in mind is the removal of the rear bumper to replace with a new one I have sitting in my boot!
Now according to the haynes manual I should be jacking the car up from the front to do this job and I'm sure my brother in law has jacked it up from the side to do various jobs on it in the past.
Any opinions? I'm starting to wonder if referring to my Haynes manual every-time I need to do a job is a good idea!

I presume you mean a jack like the one supplied
with the car. If so please read the haynes manual
again - The section on Safety.

There are points in the sill where the car jack fits
to lift the car BUT THEN CHOCK THE CAR UP with
bricks or block of wood before attempting to amputate
body parts when the car moves off the car jack.

If you intend doing any long term maintenance
on any vehicle buy yourself a trolley jack from
lidl or aldi when they have them in stock again.

Even then chocks or axle stands should be used
to support the vehicle if you are working under it.

John

Dude,

Don't use any jack to support the car while you're working on it, whether it's a trolley jack or the car's jack.. Use the jack just to lift the car till you can put axle stands under it.

The car's jack is useful since you can lift the car from it's sills, enough to put stands under the main jacking points welded to the chassis.

The car's jack goes on the sill moulding:

Place it in line with the door hinge upright (A-pillar) if you want to jack the front of the car
Place it in line with the door jamb (B-Pillar) if you want to jack the back of the car

When the car is in the air, you'll be able to see the main jack points:

It's a metal cup thing at the front, roughly 6" in from the sill, behind the front wheel for the front.

It's a metal square moulding, almost right next to the sill but slightly ahead of the rear wheel for the rear.

Raise the car enough to place the axle stand, then carefully lower the car onto the stand..

Then you can start working on it..

Ralf S.

Back