General Tractor Time

Currently reading:
General Tractor Time

Dunno whats up with me hgt, but last couple of days when i start it in morning it sounds like its gunna blow, really horrible noise like a tractor on its last legs, its better once it gets hot, but not normal. any one shed any light on this, it seams to be coming from left of my engine so could it be summat to do with cam belt

usually the variator. it should be replaced with timing belt and tensioner (and water pump if above 90k).

you can drive it like that, it wont hurt anything other than your performance and fuel ecnomy when above 3000rpm.

actually on second thought, check your oil in case its dangerously low and the noise is dry tappets.

thanks jug, will give oil check later, how meny miles should i do my oil changes?? the car gets some hammerin, was last done about 6-8k ago??

I usually change my Bravo HGT oil around 6K miles

Jug,
Any chance it could be an exhaust manifold blowing? Partially sealing itself when hot.

Last edited:
yes it could but when he said 'tractor' i assumed that would mean a tapping diesel engine type of noise, and on the 20v that kind of noise is almost always the variator.

oil should be changed every 12k if you dont care about it and every 6k if you do, but in either case it should be checked and topped up at least once a month.

Last edited:
Back