Technical Timing belt help needed

Currently reading:
Technical Timing belt help needed

fatscally

Hi, I have an old old '98 Brava with only 62000 miles on it with plenty of life left in it, and I like to hobby about the car. The waterpump went on it and so I had to do the timing belt in the process.
Here's the thing... I moved the cogs when the belt was off. I did have them marked but I'm not confident everything is ok.

There are factory markings on the cogs that I'm certain are there for a reason. What I need is to be sure how to use them.

After I aligned them and put the belt back on I tried turning the cogs by hand, I could get one full turn but not a second as it would seem to jam.

Any help appreciated.

upper.jpg

lower.jpg

Last edited:
Well I turned it while test turning the belt. The belt was tight then it had slack so I know there was misalignment. No matter I think it should be possible to realign it regardless right?

I personally mark the pulleys and belt with white paint, then copy the marks to the new belt.

Sure it is not just compression in the cylinders holding it back? (remove plugs so it turns easier)

If you're sure it is ok, just slap it together and try it out.

Otherwise you'd need to check the timing, and it depends on the engine.

Thanks, I've tried so many attempts now at this stage that it's well and truly past the point of relying on self made marks. I need the exact positioning now of the factory made marks.
Ah well first attempt at a timing belt. It was always going to be a learning experience. No damage done (yet) ;)

Is it the 1.4 or 1.6 engine?

Hi Stephen, it's the 1.4 12v

I got some help over the phone about the positioning of the drive wheels. The nipple on the lower wheel should be at 6pm. When it's at 6pm the first piston should be at the top and I felt this turning through the range with a screw driver and it is correct.
When it's there I noticed that the 2 white lines on the new belt will match exactly with the notch on the top wheel and the notch on the lower wheel which will now be in the 9pm position. So that's what the 2 notches are for. And that convinces me that the positioning is right. However... With the spark plugs out I can hand crank it all day long with no jamming but when the spark plugs go back in I can't. I guessed it was pressure inside and I took a chance and started it. There is a bit of a tapping in the engine and a puffing (not banging) sound from the exhaust like it's not firing. I checked and rechecked the spark plug seating but no improvement.

At a loss now for new ideas.

Brava2.jpg

Last edited:
Get yourself the Haynes manual for the fiat Bravo/brava. I have it myself and it's quite helpful to be fair. It lists 2 special tools for changing the 1.4 belt and sounds to me like your timing is ever so slightly out, although I am sure you knew that yourself after you started it. Haynes says that you can do it without the tools but any home made markings are critical and must not be deviated from or cause you confusion when refitting. PM me if you think I can help you, maybe I am not too far away from you!

Last edited:
Thank you for you generous offer Stephen. I wouldn't touch it without first owning the Haynes ;)
I was on to a man that can and he said it sounds like I'm out a smidgen and drawing in air from some where. Ahh so close :)
I've asked him over tonight to see if he can tweak it back right. He has all the professional tech books for the timings etc so I'm passing it over to experience. I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm in Ballyfermot btw :)

It'll be nice to see another 1.4 saved for the roads, not the best Fiat engine ever but an interesting development to the long-running SOHC design.

blueJohn: Well I tell ya I was at a recession low when I had the luck to find this auto for €250. At the moment it's a 98D with only 68000 miles on it. It passed the car test so I put a new exhaust on it since it was a bit throaty. I did a few jobs on it; wishbone/ball joints, sparks, oil, filters, coolant, water pump. Now with the timing belt done I can't see why there isn't at least another 5 years left in it.
Stephen: The timings above are correct. I was just inexperienced and overly apprehensive doing my first timing belt replacement. I took it out today and it's running as quiet as ever. Happy days! :)

Hope it continues running well... the big problem those engines had was oil sludge forming and stopping circulation to the top end valve gear, I think there are strainers and pipes that get clogged and there starts a tapping and wear of the valvegear.

With your next oil change maybe do a proper hot flush with some Wynns or something, or the cheap alternative of 1/2 litre of diesel! Let every drop of the old crud drain out over a couple of hours...

Also running it on a decent 10/40 semi synth Diesel oil can help, the extra detergents will gently release any persistent sludge.

Glad to hear you got sorted! That first timing belt change is always a nervous one.. Should help your confidence working on the car. Great to hear another brava being saved so to speak as they are rapidly disappearing off irish roads anyway. My father has an 01 1.2 since new and I have been keeping it alive.

Back