Technical Track/tie rod removal tool

Currently reading:
Technical Track/tie rod removal tool

DaveMcT

Distinguished member
I want to replace inner (and outer) track rods but have hit a snag right from the outset. The Original Birth track/tie rods have a round ball joint on the inner end which will not work with the tubular type of removal tool. These tools need spanner flats to work. The Panda tie-rods have no spanner flats.
The obvious option of Stillsons (or even mole grips) is a non starter as there is no access to turn the tool.

After running all over the place to get a special tie-rod tool only to find they either don't have anything (although they said they did) or they simply never have anything, I'm stuck.

Has anyone used one of these? Does it grip well enough to get the tie rod of the steering rack?
Universal-Inner-Tie-Rod-End-Tool-33-42mm-Steering-Rod-Rack-Pinion.jpg_640x640.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-2-Tie-Rod-Wrench-33-42mm-Universal-Steering-Track-Rod-Removal-Garage-Tool/392207773037?hash=item5b5167ad6d:g:FeUAAOSwYV5cL6Gt:rk:23:pf:0

All other options are from China or Poland or they have a "no-idea-how-it-works" business end so can't be trusted to do the job. Everything on YouTube shows the type with spanner flats so are no help.

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I suspect the eBay widget I've posted works much the same way. For what they cost, I can't understand why the local factors don't stock them.

Halfords as always is full of nothing except blingy spanners and a few impact sockets; the parts factors seem to have stuff like piston ring compressors and the like (who uses them these days). ECP just wasted my time and 1/2 gallon of petrol.

My job is now stopped until the purchase arrives.

The PO left a "you were out" message so collected the tool yesterday. It's Chinese of course but looks well made.

The car has to be jacked as high as my trolley jack will go and supported on stands under the front sill jacking points. I use wood blocks to carry the weight either side of the weld flange.

The steering rack serrated boots/gaiters were clearly fitted in the factory so were awkward to remove. One side needed small side cutters to get under the steel band the other had access to the crimp so big side cutters had it off easily. The inner track rod has groove for the gaiter to settle into making it tough to remove. I reached behind and pulled hard until it popped off then sorted out the folded in end. All was good but a pair of new gaiters would make life easier.

The seized track-rod adjusting nut was so solid I had to angle-grind it off and even then it came off in two halves. I wiped some copper paste into the threads so at least they should stay usable for longer.

The inner rod ends came off easily with the tool. Two 1/2" extension bars and the long breaker bar made the job easier. I measured the sticky-out length of thread from the lock nut and fitted the new rod ends from that. The 100HP has plastic spacers on the backs of the inner track rods. Presumably this is how the steering lock is reduced to accommodate the 6 speed gearbox.

I shoved some moly grease into the open end of the rack. Who knows if it will ever reach anywhere useful but why not while it's open(?). The gaiters attached nicely with zip ties on each end. Access is far too tight for single use bands even if I had the crimping tool. The track rod side of the gaiter has nothing as standard but I zip tied it anyway.

So, what's the result -

I still need to adjust the steering wheel zero position. Trial & error and being careful to adjust each side equally will have that sorted, but the pulling to left has gone and tyre treads are no longer warm on the inside shoulder. So while fitting new inners and outer track rods was arguably overkill, I think it was worth doing for the extra cost involved. The set of parts were about £40 from S4P and the removal/fitting tool was £14.

Last edited:
A short road test showed all was well. Today, it's done about 40 miles and it feels great. As said I need to tweak the track rods to centre the steering wheel but it's only a few degrees out. I could hallucinate that its slightly toe-in but without tools to measure its hard to know. I will avoid changing the tracking settings when aligning the wheel.

I'm sure steering feels a little more direct. There was no obvious wear in the old track rods but clearly they were past their best or there would be no difference from before to after.

You mention supporting the car by the sills on blocks of wood Dave. Like you, I suspect, I'm a bit obsessed with preserving the paint so reducing the propensity for rust to take hold. Here is my take on the wooden block solution:-

P1080171.JPG

P1080172.JPG

You also mention about the, very common, problem of seized track rod end locking nuts. All my life I've run into this problem and, when I had access to an oxy-acetylene torch, it was usually quite easily solved. When working at home however this option really isn't an option (try mentioning to your house insurer that you've got oxy- acetylene bottles in your garage. the reaction is quite interesting!)

I sometimes resort to my "plumbing" gas torch but the problem with it is the flame is too big and applies heat to too large an area so risking damage to the nylon inserts and rubber gator of the track rod end itself. I have had great success with releasing fluids and, latterly, freezing fluids. My technique is to apply fluid liberally and, supporting the nut on one side with a heavy lump of something (I use an old hammer head) tapping firmly and repeatedly on the other side of the nut. You don't need to hit really hard, you're not trying to deform the nut. The idea is that the vibrations and shock together with the slight compressing effect allows the fluid to penetrate and the rust to loosen it's grip. Here are my favorite weapons:-

P1080179.JPG

Having "attacked" the nut it's still likely to need some serious "persuasion" to give up. In years gone by, if an open ended spanner wouldn't shift it (and often they will tend to spread the jaws so rounding off the corners of the nut if it's a really tight one) I would have turned to a nice big pair of self locking pliers (see middle tool in the next image) Generally speaking a waste of time on anything really tight though. so then out would come the Stillsons, or Footprint if it's smaller. Boy do they grip but they have two unfortunate problems. 1. they have aggressive teeth so mark up the nut faces which will later rust badly. 2. the harder you heave on them the tighter they will grip which is the whole point and is good in many cases but, for a nut, which does not have a great depth of metal to resist this crushing effect, what tends to happen is it crushes the nut down onto the tie rod so making it grip the tie rod and further resist removal. Not at all what you want! The next image is of a footprint, self locking (Mole to some) and Stillson type wrenches.

P1080178.JPG

A number of years ago, wandering around B&Q, I came across a display of Stanley tools. (Modern Stanley tools, in my view, are pretty mediocre DIY type quality, with one or two exceptions. Unlike their really old stuff which was pretty good) However I was intrigued by a display multi size spanner "thingys"

P1080174.JPG

Normally wouldn't even give a second look - but was looking for stuff to keep in the car for emergency use. Looking more closely at them I realized they work like the Stilson/Footprint type. That is the harder you pull on them the tighter they grip the nut. Smooth jawed too, so won't mark the nut faces! but the really big deal is that they grip on £ faces 120 degrees apart. Therefore they won't easily crush the nut!

P1080176.JPG

P1080177.JPG

You can see here how that works. The set of three were on special offer. I bought them. I find them very good indeed and I use the largest one all the time on things like the track rod end nuts. They also "ratchet round the nut if you move the handle in the opposite direction to the tightening direction and this can be very useful at times.

Once slackened you will probably find the tie rod threads are heavily corroded if you've had that much problem with the locking nut. The thread inside the track rod end will probably be quite clean though (if you're lucky) so you can often run the nut down towards the end of the tie rod to fully expose the rusted threads. By yourself a thread file (thread chaser) but only a really good one, Quality is everything. I bought Sykes Picavant. You can use them on any size of male thread and I find many uses for mine.
P1080181.JPG

P1080183.JPG

They are very hard and brittle so I protect mine with some short lengths of heavy gauge plastic pipe so they don't suffer damage where they live in the "fitting" drawer of my tool chest.

P1080185.JPG

It's not often I run into something these "friends" and I can't deal with. The only thing about the Stanleys that trouble me is they look a little weak in the middle of the handle, where the slider is. However I have had a short length of pipe on the big fella and he didn't break!

Hope some of this was of interest. Off for an afternoon with our grand daughter now - going swimming again. It'll be "Granny, lets sink Grandad can we?" again. I love it really.

Hi Jock.

I was going to use a pair of "stilsons" on the inner track rods but the Panda the front subframe blocks any perpendicular "side" access to the inner joints. There are no spanner flats so a socket set "crow's foot" is also useless.

You Tube has nothing for the Panda (or any small Fiat). All videos showed inner rod ends with machined spanner flats on the inner ball joint and a tube spanner tool that drives off that. All methods are useless on a Panda or I expect any small Fiat.

The Panda steering rack is quite short with the inner rod ends sitting well under the subframe. Stilsons, mole (vice) grips or anything similar are no help. I'd be surprised if Fiat don't expect you to remove the rack from the car. Just getting the dust boots off is a tight squeeze.

The tool I used worked well and quite some bargain at under £15 delivered - though delivery was slow. I was surprised how tightly they were torqued up. The 600mm breaker bar was (again) very handy to have and the tool coped fine.

This one looks like an exhaust pipe clamp and (unlike mine) allows the inner and outer to be removed as a unit but it does rely on the U-bolt nuts being enough to stop it slipping.

This one shows a removal tool that's no use on a Fiat. He could also have used a socket set crow's foot spanner head.

Last edited:
might depend on manufacture. Not looked at mine. But my last punto had flats as does the Delphi for the 100hp

Same with the drop links, some you can but a hex key in the centre some extend the thread part and put flats on it. Annoyingly some are flush and the only option is to cut them off.

My tool cost £14.40 and worked a treat with ordinary 1/2" drive socket extensions and breaker bar. It has a cam action so once its gripping, the more force you use the more it grips.

The threads are tight so the long bar gives less chance of bashed knuckles when the threads loosen.

One video shows threadlock being used, BUT how are you going to get that hot enough next time** around? The inner ball joint is well tucked away and a heat gun risks scorching floorpan paint. TBH I dont see the need, the track rod cannot rotate in use so the thread (properly tightened) should not come loose. The inner ball joint can rotate on the track rod but its a tight clearance joint and anything loose enough to spin would already be badly affecting the steering.

** You never know, it might be you!!

Last edited:
Back