Styling Towing bolt on eyes.

Currently reading:
Styling Towing bolt on eyes.

hey,

as you may be aware i am goin for the rally look and i found some screw in towing eyes for both the front and back but i dont know if it would be legal to drive around with them on as they stick out a little bit.

i will take some piks of them as they are but i will spray them when i have the car looking abit more 'rally'. or it will look proper stupid.

the pics are the proper rally cars with the towing eyes in but i hope i can have them in when mine is done (y)

Attachments

• castrozza_28.jpg
    castrozza_28.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 56
  • castrozza_21.jpg
    castrozza_21.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 25
  • castrozza_33.jpg
    castrozza_33.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 29
  • portugal_02.jpg
    portugal_02.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 21
  • portugal_lopes_01.jpg
    portugal_lopes_01.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 22
cool. glad to hear it. :)

as i said will be one of the last things to be done as will look stupid but wil add to the over all look i think.

another thing is has anyone got these towing eyes already? because i couldnt find any so bought some more. were only 4 quid each but just wondered.

I think strictly they would be illegal .. because of the damage they could do to a pedestrian if u hit them.. cant see you ever gettin pulled up for it tho mate

ye i thought that :( and at knee hight they would mess you up if hit but you could get hit by the mounting points behind the bumper and that would ruin your day too.

ye well i would hope that the rozza's have better things to worry about than some small hoops.

people have bull bars for gods sake lol

Hi all :wave:

The letter of the law (construction and use, and probably road traffic act too) says no objects in front of the bumper line (also includes spot lights :( , a rally look staple). Thats why some cars have permenant tow eyes below and back from the bumper. For a smoother look many cars have removable eyes which are legal when towing as the towing/rope/towed all become one unit.

Also any item that sticks out or up that could cause injury is usualy illegal (someone once found a loop hole that allowed him to fit a samuri sword on the front off a bonnet :eek: .. now closed)

Most motorsport requires a marked towing eye front and back so the marshels can tow a car out of trouble quickly. They are most often the under bumper type too, if a little larger than the road car type (available from Demo tweeks etc) but it looks like these rally boys are using the higher screw in type as they are less likely to 'catch' on rough terrain.

Best to carry a set for 'show use only' cheers Damon

cheers thats good to know (even though i dont like it lol)

i saw a kia today with what looked like a pair of eyes sticking out of the lower grill. well the car may have been towed at some time but they where still there and the old biddy at the wheel wouldnt know what they were anyway. ill re-fit mine and take a pik and put it on here for people to see.

would any of these affect the MOT? and what about landrovers with spots and bull bars n 35" overall wheel diameters?

so i cant have the spots on the front either? my rally rep' is gona look just like a standard punto at this rate lol. will the rozza's really pick up on fogs n stuff?

would any of these affect the MOT? and what about landrovers with spots and bull bars n 35" overall wheel diameters?

I don't think as such these are part of the MOT test.
Bull bars become part of the bumper, but there are different regs depending on the age of registration.

will the rozza's really pick up on fogs n stuff?

All depends on the officer at hand, and your attitude to being stoped. Where you won't get away with it is if it's a VOSA stop.

ok so if i were to make a pod for the lights and attach them to the bumper would that be classed as part of the bumper? i dont like the sound of all this :cry:. i always thought that rally cars had to be road legal as they need to drive on roads between stages and they dont remove these parts surely :confused:

there must be some sort of motor sport rules i understand but i thought as they had to use roads at certain point that they had to be road legal. grrrrrrrrrr :mad:

ok so if i were to make a pod for the lights and attach them to the bumper would that be classed as part of the bumper? i dont like the sound of all this :cry:. i always thought that rally cars had to be road legal as they need to drive on roads between stages and they dont remove these parts surely :confused:

No, it won't count as part of the bumper and yes, they do/should remove them for the road sections.

well how does a mini (old and new) get away with fogs. well i need to re think then dont i lol.

cheers for all your help guys.

it may be fogs and eyes out the window. :cry:

thanks again

hey again,

here are the piks of the towing eyes as promised. they dont stick out as much as they do in the pictures when they are fully screwed in.

i dont know whether to leave them as they are or spray them. will either be black or red but i think red could look poo.

cheers

Attachments

• P220708_12.23.JPG
    P220708_12.23.JPG
    918.9 KB · Views: 14
  • P220708_12.21.JPG
    P220708_12.21.JPG
    997.2 KB · Views: 15
Back