General To buy, or not to buy, a Tipo

Currently reading:
General To buy, or not to buy, a Tipo

Well folks, it's time for my boy's '07 plate Astra's MOT again. Last year we thought it wouldn't be worth repairing it to get through it's MOT but, as a suitable replacement proved illusive to find I part funded the £800 it cost to get it it's certificate - ouch! So, depending on whether it fails catastrophically or not this year, We may be looking for a replacement for it. The car is the estate version which he needs because he uses it for his sign writing business - so collapsible ladder, paint pots, sticky vinyl sheeting and tools all weighing it down through the week. At weekends it becomes the family runabout and it's the car they use for holidays etc too. Last year one of the vehicles we looked at, and liked, was the Tipo 1.4 T-Jet estate and we still like the look of it so it's definitely in the frame for the replacement, if needed.

I'm just wondering if any of you good folks run a T-Jet and if so how you've got on with it? Doesn't matter if your's isn't the estate version of course.

I’ve had my T jet 120 for 4 years. Liked it so much I paid off the pcp and kept it. Drives smooth though I little bit thirsty compared to the lower power one. Top spec and in a good colour (grey). Still looks as new after 4 years. I would recommend it.

I’ve had my T jet 120 for 4 years. Liked it so much I paid off the pcp and kept it. Drives smooth though I little bit thirsty compared to the lower power one. Top spec and in a good colour (grey). Still looks as new after 4 years. I would recommend it.
Thanks Barkydog, that's very useful. What sort of MPG do you recon you're seeing with yours?

We like our FIATs.. :) my only reservation would be in 6 years time.. are parts available

Roadsprings seem to be tricky now :-(
Aye Charlie, I'd picked up on the road springs from forum posts. Our Factor says they don't list them.

Anyway, today he's looking at a Mazda 6 estate petrol 2 litre engine 165hp (I think). Not a car/manufacturer I know anything about at all. Actually never even had a wheel off a Mazda

My brother in law had a 2004 mazda6 saloon.. from new

It was the FORD diesel.IIRC had it to @120k.. passed it to his son who had a change of plan and sold it on.. no issues

It sold itself..they had a great following

Im wary of Japanese stuff from my Bike days... But from what youve said it doesnt have a hard life

Astra died then..??

My brother in law had a 2004 mazda6 saloon.. from new

It was the FORD diesel.IIRC had it to @120k.. passed it to his son who had a change of plan and sold it on.. no issues

It sold itself..they had a great following

Im wary of Japanese stuff from my Bike days... But from what youve said it doesnt have a hard life

Astra died then..??
Thanks Charlie. The Astra's on a short leash, We probably shouldn't have repaired it last year but it was one of those situations where it seemed, at the outset, that it was going to be doable at reasonable cost but then snowballed. It's just old and worn out. Now the windscreen has suddenly developed a crack right across the top of the driver's side and the clutch feels as if it's about to pack in any day - only releasing when just about on the floor and coming nearly all the way up before biting, very strange, haven't ever actually felt one like it. Thought it might be air, but no. Mind you I think it may be the original as he bought the car with some 40,000 miles on it and it's now around the 125,000 miles mark. Just time to call it a day I think.

Hard life? well my older boy's Punto has quite an easy time of it but this Astra, my younger boy's car, is both his business "van" - with all his signwritting stuff plus collapsing ladder in it taking him to and from jobs - and his main family transport so it covers the highest annual mileage of all the "family fleet". Japanese stuff generally has a good reputation doesn't it, as does most of the stuff from that part of the world, but I worry about parts price and availability. I've heard of DPF problems with the diesels but the petrols seem ok. When he's working he tends to be in and around the city mostly so a diesel might be rather a liability in that respect.

I’ve had my tipo from June last year and found the extras ie hill start,auto light, auto wiper blades,navigation which has been a bit of a pain if you check my thread. But in general the 1.4 t jet has been a nice drive and fuel economy seems a bit thirsty but have got around that with a K&N panel filter. On a weekday drive on nights so less traffic without K&N filter, I was sticking in around £35/40 on beginning of week 50mile a day and left with 1 bar by the end of week fri mornin. 2/3 weeks in with same fill ups I’m now being left with 3 bars on the fuel gaug. Early days yet but feel the filter has made a difference on economy. Not tested any power improvements to be honest

Thought a wee update might be of interest? I've now got Peter, owner of our local wee independent showroom - where I bought my Ibiza - looking out for a replacement car for him. He is quite enthusiastic about the Tipo, says he's sold a couple this last year past but thinks it'll be difficult to find a 1.4 T-jet estate. Another one we rather liked was the Civic 1.8 iVtec estate. Again, not many about with manual gears. The SEAT Leon estate with basically the more powerful 3 cylinder EA211 version of my engine looks a good bet - also comes with a bigger 1.4/1.5 litre 4 cylinder but I believe there are driving issues with these which have never been completely "sorted" despite a reprogram of the control units. A complex engine, but aren't they all now a days? However it's an engine I now know and mine's been fine so far apart from the early turbo mine had which was replaced under warranty. Later models had a modified wastegate actuation which seems to have sorted the problem.

Other than that the Skoda Octavia gives us a differently flavoured bite at the same cherry or maybe a KIA Ceed Sportwagen? but again a car I know little about although I have had quite a good look at my older boy's KIA Rio, "still under warranty so keep your hands off Dad", and I'm quite impressed. Chain cam too so no cambelt, probably ought to research whether the chains give problems like the early VAG TSIs.

Anyone else like to suggest a contender for consideration? Needs to be an estate for his ladder etc - SUVs don't tend to have the length - and petrol engine as much of his business is in town so want to avoid DPF problems with diesels. Also needs to be "family friendly" as it gets used for family transport on holidays and days out. Newish used - maybe up to 5 years old depending on condition.

A bit late to the party, but as I've got a T-Jet (hatchback) I thought I'd add my two penneth!

I've owned it (T-Jet S-Design) from new in 2018 & decided that on account of not getting any other car that takes my fancy without spending considerably more money, I paid off the PCP last autumn and have kept the Tipo.

In-line with other posters, it's not exactly frugal but could be worse - it says it's doing 38mpg, in reality more like 35mpg. I get 30-40 miles extra out of a tank when doing motorway driving though, which is fine by me, particularly as it's cost very little beyond standard servicing. I've had one set of front tyres in 27,000 miles, no bulbs, a service each year and it's about to have the Alloys refurbed as the lacquer is shot to pieces (S-Design has diamond cut wheels, it doesn't seem such an issue on other trim levels).

Under warranty it had a new battery, a new aerial base (DAB signal kept dropping following rain/water ingress) and the rear washer pipe reconnected, which has just popped off again - seems a common Tipo/Fiat issue. Beyond that no bother at all, which seems the general consensus for the Tipo - those tried & tested mechanicals have prevented us being beta testers for Fiat! Oh and despite the magazine reviews, I find it quite a decent steer with the larger (18" wheels) & T-Jet engine.

If you can find a suitable SW, go for it I say.

Maybe the Diamond cuts are still knocked out cheaply in China..

My 2012 had all 4 originals replaced under warranty.. and 'all 8' have failed

Same as the mazda , etc of that era experienced

14 plate Golf was no better...

Good to hear the rest has been good... as you say.. pretty old tech nowadays :)

Back